Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Rdowns

Lightbulb Lets see how you organize your storage...

I would like to see how every body organizes your storage areas in your toy hauler.

I came from a bunk house model 5er that had a TON of storage. Then moving into a toy hauler... I had all these items that did not just fit into the new one. I assume that because you have this big ol' garage that they dont give you that many storage bins.

This is what I have found on mine, and looking for ideas... (fuzion 371)
-sewer hose does not fit in the provided hose storage
-broom storage
-tool storage
-spare tire wrench storage
-camping chair storage
-straps and such for cargo bay
-kids toys
-bbq

What do you use? Clips, bins, etc?? Lets see some pics!
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
GaryWT

So because it is a toy hauler and a fifth wheel there is no basement? I have a TT so I have the front storage for all that but have never looked at toy haulers since I have no toys. Interesting that it lacks storage though.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Rdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
So because it is a toy hauler and a fifth wheel there is no basement? I have a TT so I have the front storage for all that but have never looked at toy haulers since I have no toys. Interesting that it lacks storage though.
IT has the large pass through basement storage, but that is the only "actual" storage bin. Also inside the garage it has shallow overhead storage. And that is all of it. You would think for a 38ft fifth wheel it would have more storage of some sort.

Im really looking at how people store their items in the storage...This is extreme but check this picture out.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
GaryWT

Well I just have the standard TT storage, 3 or so feet wide, 16 or so inches high, doors are 1 foot by 2 feet. We keep our tools, lug wrench, 4 chairs, 3 rugs, ez up, 4 sets of lynx levelers, 2 wood steps, bin with cable and water hose etc., laundry basket, charcoal, table, crank for corner jacks, fire poker, bean bag toss game, drill, duck tape, hatchet, Velcro, poles for the tarp, wheel chocks, etc in there. Sewer hose goes under the trailer in a pipe and a few other things are under the bed or the dinette drawers. Everything has it's place.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

I need to work on my storage. I use plastic bins on the left side for sewer hoses and fresh water hoses. On the right side is a single bin with junk stuff. Our chairs go in the middle, between the bin. The rear storage has my tools, TrailerAid, leveling blocks, spare BAL stabilizer jack and our Weber grill.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
socalhd

My FZ342 is very similar to your 371 but lacks the overhead cabinets you have and the 1/2 bath.
Riding gear I place in totes and put them in the Loft. Camp chairs and my portable compressor on the floor of the garage.
My other half runs a snack bar at the Little League field. The David Sunflower seed buckets make great storage for stuff in the underbelly. I carry a longer sewer hose in a sealed tote in the underbelly, a folding table and my Coleman barbecue in the underbelly. With plenty of room.
Tools spare straps oil etc in the tool box in the floor of the garage.
The sewer hose I got with the unit fits inside the PVC tube on the underside. I may add another 1 for my extra hose
I also want to put a small cabinet where the washer and dryer hook ups are

2007 F350 Dually
2014 Fuzion FZ342
2015 Harley CVO Limited
socalhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Two custom built floor storage lockers. The forward one can easily hold a gallon jug of antifreeze upright.

Those with 5th wheels have huge advantage over us bumper pull guys, especially if we have the generator installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	8555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	8556  
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
gtsum2

In my fz345 I use clear bins in the basement and then keep the cooking stoves, fishing poles, etc in the garage. I keep all tools in the beaver tail storage under the garage in the rear
Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #9
Rdowns

I love the responses.

The clear bins are a great idea, And I have to admit that I keep forgetting about the dove tail storage in the garage(that is a great place for tools).

Keep the ideas coming! Lets see some PICS!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
sptddog

We added a cabinet in the garage. ...
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
sptddog

And this in the pass through.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #12
hdxbonez

I have 5 clear bins- electrical, plumbing, outdoor cooking, dogs, and tools/misc. The sewer hoses are in a seperate bin in the front compartment.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
VAJeff

We have a 371 too.

Grease and stuff for maintenance is in the Dove Tail storage area in plastic totes.

We have the overhead cabinets in the garage, lanterns, cordless drill, bungee cord, portable heater, various sprays (hornet spray, lubricants, etc in a baskeet), and some other odds and ends up here\

All sewage hose and connections are in the compartment with the propane bottles (RhinoFlex hose has caps on each end to keep closed). Even keep the black tank flush hose in there.

The main basement has a folding table, 4 chairs, Coleman XXL Grill, 5lb propane bottle, blower and gutter extension cleaner (use this to blow tops of slides if there is debris), 3 drawer plastic bin to store misc items, another plastic bin (do not keep lid on it) to put the Compressor, extension cord, stakes for the ground matt. Also have the Matt in the storage area along with the gutter cleaner extensions. The extensions are bungeed to the roof. This is all in the awning side.

On the other side, all the other connections for the trailer. I have been keeping the power cord here, but this last time tried the 5 Gallon bucket idea I have heard about to store the cord. That does not work so well...

In the garage when traveling, Golf Cart (all ratchet straps store on the cart when not in use), daughter's bike (bungeed to the cart), and a kayak (also bungeed to the cart), and now the power cord (2/3 in the bucket, 1/3 not in the buckett)

We keep portable folding tables, step ladder,a few more chairs, the extra beverages, etc. Most of this stuff goes under the couches when they come down.

We have on occassion put the 10" Little Giant Step ladder under the cart (cart has 6" lift).

We still have room to put some more stuff too...

This does not cover the inside stuff...

Trailer is in storage until middle of next week. If I remember, I will take some pics...
VAJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
C130

My question is, how do you store your bicycles while traveling? We have four mountain bikes along with a ton of other stuff such as a charcoal grill, cooler, kayak in the summer, lots of stuff as we don't pack light. I have plenty of room in the garage except for not having an organized way to carry the mountain bikes. I just lay them wherever I can and try not to do any damage to them but just wondering if anyone has any good ideas. I wish I could leave them upright as they'd take up way less room. We are also considering buying two more small kayaks for the kids, right now we have one tandem but the kids fight over it and we can't all go out at the same time. Maybe I just need a bigger toy hauler.

I put our dirt bikes on stands and use turn buckles with a hook to the footpegs then other end connected to the the d-rings. Just wondering if anyone makes any type of stands that might work or better ideas. I saw the turn buckles used on dirt bikes several years ago and have used them ever since then on every trailer I've owned. Works flawlessly, very cheap, and doesn't compress the suspension.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
socalhd

Interesting about the bicycles. I strap 1 down just like I would a motorcycle 2 straps pulling down and forward and 1 pulling back so bike is locked in. then put a bicyclr on each side of the main 1 and strap them to the center bike. This works great for me. All upright and to 1 side of the garage

2007 F350 Dually
2014 Fuzion FZ342
2015 Harley CVO Limited
socalhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:33 AM   #16
notanlines

Reading these posts puts a smile on my face. We have all read the threads concerning weight VS tow vehicle and how many of the newbies say they "travel light." It is always nice to say you travel light to make sure your rig slides into that weight envelope. What we are reading in the posts above is the "real world." The first time out your family puts about 150 pounds of miscellaneous necessary items and you hit the road. After about eight or ten trips to the great outdoors the list is endless. Most of us have enough folding lawn chairs to host a Toby Keith concert. Generators, compressors, torque wrenches, enough pots and pans to cook for the Third Marine Division and serve dessert to all their kids. We head to Florida for about 4-5 months in the winter so I could literally stand a cargo trailer to bring all the other goodies that we seem to think is necessary. It is fun watching y'all put a little "realism" in what actually goes in your rig.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #17
C130

We are ridiculous, I won't deny it, but weight is not an issue. Most of the stuff we carry is pretty light weight and I actually need more weight in the garage. Food is where we are really ridiculous and we carry enough for a week long trip to last a year I think. Plus all the fold up chairs, metal chairs and table, large plastic picnic table, cooler, 4 mountain bikes, kayak, fishing rods, it just keeps going and going. I hate to admit it but we carry an espresso machine also, we like to enjoy our camping experience!

I might try to haul our bicycles as posted above, sounds like a good idea. I used to have a plastic bike holder, just put the front the front wheel in it but I just used inside the house to hold it upright. It was a nice road bike and I kept it in my office, my wife hated it. That might work if I just tied it down for stability.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #18
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhd View Post
Interesting about the bicycles. I strap 1 down just like I would a motorcycle 2 straps pulling down and forward and 1 pulling back so bike is locked in. then put a bicyclr on each side of the main 1 and strap them to the center bike. This works great for me. All upright and to 1 side of the garage
We use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PBS-2R-T...=bicycle+stand

2 of them actually - then strap down like above. When we arrive at the campground, these move out in under the gooseneck. I've found the darn kickstands don't work well in the soft gravel site material, so the racks keep them upright and allow us to lock them together, then to the camper. Not completely thief proof, but it does make it harder.

Speaking of realism, we also bought these goofy covers to put over them at night to keep them less visible (2 of our bikes are pricey) and dry....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #19
RETSEK

Storage Idea

I purchased some 60" HD roller slides and welded a pull out tray. I love being able to use the lost space way in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tray 1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	8621   Click image for larger version

Name:	tray2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	8622  

Dan & Lora
Marshalltown Iowa