Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
swineboy

If you own a keystone retreat camper, please read

To all new keystone retreat owners. I own a 39 fden retreat camper. I have had issues with it since bought. I really need to know if anyone else is experiencing any issuses with wetness in the back corners of the A pitch roof slide out. Everytime it rains, my corners get wet. Please respond and if you have a friend that has one please encourage them to check. Thanks, Mike
swineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
badge4

We have a 2011 Retreat and have had an incident or two with leakage on the rear of the slideout near the dinette. I pulled the slideout rubber flap out of the fold and this seems to have solved the problem.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
swineboy

Please keep me posted. A friend of mine and ourselves own the same type of camper and both of us have had this issue ongoing now for over a year and still trying to figure the problem out. We replaced sweep seals, adjusted the
A pitch roof. We have done everything possible. I will tell you this. You need to check it shortly after a rain and keep a check on it everytime it rains. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Tim Butcher

Retreat Owners

I'm interested in purchasing a Retreat 39FDEN, it means an upgrade from our current trailer a Keystone Springdale. I'd like everyones thoughts on problems, quality of workmanship, things to look for, leaks etc. Send me a Private Message, Tim Butcher, tks, kitchener ontario canada
Tim Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Retreatowner

Leaking

We own a Retreat 39FDN and we are having leaking problems on both slide outs. It is in the shop now and they are trying to figure out why. I know the wiper seal does not even touch the pitch on the large slide out. We have had the camper for lest than a year and in has been in the shop 4 months for different things.
Retreatowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Ashtabula

Question Questioning pending purchase!!!

Boy....after reading several of the reports and problems listed here and elsewhere I'm beginning to wonder if I should complete the transaction for our new Keystone Retreat 39FDEN.... I've had a Terry 31G for ten years with no problems!!!! Do I take the chance that the 2012 models have had the water leaking problems fixed???
Ashtabula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Clanton24v

To me it just looks like a bad design. The pitched roof is pointless and forces the water to the corners and also doesn't allow you to install a slideout topper that would keep the water off the roof
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
jkghdrider

Red face Slide Leakage

We purchased a 2011 Retreat Front Den model last July & after coming across these posts, checked ours this weekend after some pretty good rains & the carpeting at both corners of the super slide are quite wet, worse end being at the recliner end.. Reporting to our dealer today to see what they will do? Also, friends of ours just purchased the same model in a 2012 & they have wet carpet also & not very happy about it!
jkghdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
jkghdrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkghdrider View Post
We purchased a 2011 Retreat Front Den model last July & after coming across these posts, checked ours this weekend after some pretty good rains & the carpeting at both corners of the super slide are quite wet, worse end being at the recliner end.. Reporting to our dealer today to see what they will do? Also, friends of ours just purchased the same model in a 2012 & they have wet carpet also & not very happy about it!
Talked to the service manager where we purchased, he says: You know we had 6.5 inches of rain recently... I says: Doesn't matter, unit should not leak whether a little or a lot of rain... They were going to check it out this week to see what they could find.

jkghdrider
jkghdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
popskb

leaking slide out

I also own a 2012 retreat fden and noticed a wet rug under the window of the dinette area last summer.we thought it was because we had left the window open. Th is year, we found the carpet soaked and the window closed! It then happened again a few days later. I bought this camper at Camping world in Bath, NY and their service dept is terrible. We have had several issues other than the leak and our experience has been a nightmare. I put a tarp over the slideout and during a recent downpour, my slideout was dry.
popskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
popskb

After speaking to both the dealer and to Keystone, it is VERY apparent that we are on our own to find and fix this problem. Keystone says that although there have been many posts about leaking F-den slide-outs, they don't think that there is a common problem with them and that each unit could be "leaking for different reasons", so they're looking at it in a case by case fashion! That tells me that there will be no recalls or service announcements to dealers. I pulled back the outer seal and noticed that the caulking job done to the inside seam was not done well. I recaulked that and around the window as well. It rained yesterday and the carpet was still wet, although not soaking wet as before. I'm interested in hearing what fixes worked and what causes of the leakage were found.
popskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
hendog

i just purchased a 39 fden and was wondering if anyone had trouble with the floor bouncing when you walk on it. the dealer says this is normal but i dont know, anyone have any comments?
hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Stella

i too bought a 2012 fdn last july. after one week we noticed the corners were leaking. after hiring an attorney i was able to get keystone have our dealer take our trailer and look at the problem. they say they replaced the floor including the carpeting and re-caulked all the seams, they also put a 2 in piece of tin behind the outside tin at the bottom of the side window, so water couldnt go up in there. . this worked for about a couple of months. however after some rain the other day it was leaking again. we also had problems with the floor bouncing we were told this was normal too, however our dealer did brace the floor some more and this seems to have helped the problem. these are just a few problems we have experienced with this trailer. i have a friend who bought the same trailer this year and hers was leaking in the same corners after a week of owning it, they re-caulked hers and it is again leaking. has anyone been able to fix this problem? i know someone else who bought a keystone retreat with the bedrooms and does not have the large a frame slide out he has had no problems with leaking.....
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
x96mnn

I was camping last week and saw one of these campers in the park and noticed they had installed a slide awning. I made a point to pass by while walking the dog and while he was out I struck up a conversation and asked him if the awning came factory. He stated no but it should of, thing leaked and I installed that after numerous attempts to fix which all did not work and wanted to avoid mold. He stated it did the job.

As well I have noticed a rain gutter on the newer ones that goes down the side, not sure if the water running off the roof down would be causing it.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Clanton24v

Curious on how he mounted the slide topper with the way this slide is designed
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #16
badge4

I was thinking the same thing with the 19 foot cathedral roof line.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
garmag

Same Problems with Leaking Fden

I also have a 2012 Fden Retreat which has the same leaking problems as the rest of you. The dealer has been cooperative in coming out and making two attempts to solve the problem, and plans to come back a third time. They did some caulking on top of slide the first time. Next they removed the trim on the outside of the bottom of slide (both sides) and recaulked that. However, in a good storm with lots of rain and wind, we still are getting wet corners in the slide. The flap at the peak of the slide does not meet the roof of the slide by 1/2 inch, so I suspect that the wind blows rain under it which then drains down into the unit. I was told that the flap is not intended to create a waterproof seal. Have any of you had any success in getting this problem resolved? I am really frustrated because I don't want to have a rotted floor in the slide after a couple of years.
garmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
mango_oil

Angry 2013 keystone fden .....leaking since we bought it

Our keystone has leaked since day one ....7 service calls and still leaks...They have tried everything with no luck...Tomorrow they are comin to remove the slide and centre it...worried I will end up with more leaks....as it only leaks can't believe I'm saying that by the dinette table and only after a bad storm.....HAPPY with my service people truely disappointed with keystone not addressing the problem with this model.....They should have at least offer to put awnings over the slides knowing of this issue ....
mango_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
WhiteTundra08

Angry Slide leak

Has anyone that owns this model been able to figure out where the water comes in when it rains. I am at my wits end trying to diagnose the problem. I see absolutely no signs on the roof of the slide as to what is causing water to come in at the corner near the dinette.
WhiteTundra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #20
swineboy

This camper still leaks. Major issues now, since it has leaked since day 1. Never buy another. Poor design A pitch slide, I've tried about everything.