Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
KHBama

Overnight Etiquette

Hey Guys, we are heading to Disney next Friday when the kids get out of school. I want to drive till I can't drive anymore Friday night, meaning I don't want to do an reservation in case I want to keep driving. We have never left the house without an reservation planned. If I find a park at 10pm with open spots, can I park and pay in the morning? Should I look at Walmarts, Cabelas, etc? Thanks
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
JimQ

I would hesitate to push my driving limits with precious cargo. I don't think it's worth it. I would make a reservation at a reasonable distance. Good luck and safe travels!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
14george

I drove for 20 hours will not do it again
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
notanlines

What Jim said^^^^. I worry about your driving that long and MY precious cargo.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
travelin texans

As to your question of stopping late & paying the next morning, YES you can do that, some have self registrations with an envelope for payment.
We live in a rv resort & have folks pulling in late regularly & about 30% of them actually pay, the other 70% arrive late/leave early & I guess figure they didn't owe anything.
Walmarts seem to be a favorite campground for lots of folks!
Cabelas, Cracker Barrels, truck stops & some rest areas are also good for a few hours sleep.
As for etiquette as long as you don't put the awnings out, drag out all the lawn chairs & start grilling dinner, as seen on more than one occasion at Walmart, then any of those spots should work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Hey Guys, we are heading to Disney next Friday when the kids get out of school. I want to drive till I can't drive anymore Friday night, meaning I don't want to do an reservation in case I want to keep driving. We have never left the house without an reservation planned. If I find a park at 10pm with open spots, can I park and pay in the morning? Should I look at Walmarts, Cabelas, etc? Thanks
I know many don't, but I would make reservations at a point where I know I would be tired out. You don't want to push the limits for any number of reasons including those with, and around, you. The other issue is that the next day you're shot. What you gained the initial day you lose the next day, or the next.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
KHBama

Thanks for the input guys. Not going to be pushing any limits, 5 hour max I’ll be driving. Just don’t want to make a reservation 3 hours down the road when I could go for another 1-2 hours. Also understand that Florida is hosting LSU next Saturday. I want to be through that mess Saturday before the game
Old 09-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

We have spent the night in Walmart parking lots, as well as DOT rest stops.

For Walmart, we check with the store manager, do some shopping, stay hooked up and try not to look like we are moving in (no generator, chairs, etc).

Never had a problem.

I have heard Cabela's allows it and some stores have dump stations, which are free if you are a Cabela's Club member.

-Brian
Old 09-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Msmith2054

But, you DO have reservations at Disney, right? They stay booked. We drove there, left the day before our reservation, and stayed a couple hours out from there the night before, hoping for an early check in. SUCCESS!!!

Travel safe!
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:39 AM   #10
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmith2054 View Post
But, you DO have reservations at Disney, right? They stay booked. We drove there, left the day before our reservation, and stayed a couple hours out from there the night before, hoping for an early check in. SUCCESS!!!

Travel safe!
Oh yeah, booked at Fort Wilderness for 5 nights. only spending 2 days at the parks this time around. Will have more time to enjoy all the amenities of Fort Wilderness. Kids are counting down the days
Old 09-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #11
Hblick48

Just finished 3,000 mile trip from California to Pennsylvania. I have found that around 300 miles each day is plenty. It may take longer to get to your destination, but you won't be so tired that you can't drive anymore. I used Google maps, Allstays, Passport America, and RV Parky to plan. Each stop had a boondock and RV Park option. If it was too hot to boondock (need to run AC), we stayed at RV park (Passport America). Boondocked at Walmart and Cracker Barrel. Had a great trip. After 2 weeks in Pennsylvania (my hometown and 50th High School reunion), we'll be heading south via I 95 and taking I 10 back to Cali.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Just finished 3,000 mile trip from California to Pennsylvania. I have found that around 300 miles each day is plenty. It may take longer to get to your destination, but you won't be so tired that you can't drive anymore. I used Google maps, Allstays, Passport America, and RV Parky to plan. Each stop had a boondock and RV Park option. If it was too hot to boondock (need to run AC), we stayed at RV park (Passport America). Boondocked at Walmart and Cracker Barrel. Had a great trip. After 2 weeks in Pennsylvania (my hometown and 50th High School reunion), we'll be heading south via I 95 and taking I 10 back to Cali.
When coming across on I-10 once you get into Louisiana be sure EVERYTHING in the rv is nailed down or strapped shut, that has to be the in the top 10 worst roads in the country. May need kidney belts & back supports for all in your Ford as well.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
When coming across on I-10 once you get into Louisiana be sure EVERYTHING in the rv is nailed down or strapped shut, that has to be the in the top 10 worst roads in the country. May need kidney belts & back supports for all in your Ford as well.
Thanks for the heads up, we will be going that way and will slow down. 80 and 76 eastbound...many construction zones. Some bad (bumpy) areas along the way. Rig doesn't ride like a Cadillac!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
After travelling around 2/3 the length of I95, especially enduring the traffic around Baltimore, Washington D.C, and Richmond he may need some PTSD therapy.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #15
Msmith2054

Take a golf cart if you can, bikes as a minimum. You can rent golf carts there for $50/day if you have deep pockets, but reserve one now if you plan to do that. This is a huge place and getting around is by foot, bike, golf cart, or Ft Wilderness bus only. We had a great time there ourselves.
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
beaglething

We're planning a trip to WDW Fort Wilderness too next summer and we are trying to figure out how to make sleep stops as we're driving from Michigan. We are planning on making reservations at campgrounds along the way but what if we can't make it there before they cut off arrivals? We've stayed at many that only accept check-ins until 10 or 11pm. If that happens, and we find something like a Walmart, how does that work for the 5th wheel? Can you unhitch or put out slides? I know staying hitched would be the easiest, but my husband says you can't put out slides without having the levelers down. Could use some advice. Thanks!
beaglething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #17
bob91yj

I would say that it depends on the parking arrangements as far as unhitching and extending slides at a Walmart, but it is generally frowned upon IMO.

I've stopped at the Walmart in Durango, CO twice, my only experience with Walmart camping. We were on our way to Silverton, CO. Both times we rolled in about 2am, got a few hours of sleep and we were gone when the sun came up. I'd call it more of a lay over than I would a place to "camp".
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
notanlines

No, it is not considered customary to unhook and put out the slides at a Wal-Mart. A small bedroom slide, yes. And buy a few things while you’re there to show some appreciation.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #19
Hblick48

We have stayed at many Walmarts on past trips as well as the one we're currently on. We try to find a level spot around the perimeter. Our rig is not usable without the slides out, so we open them. Never unhitch. Always try to buy something. If we're first ones there, I always go inside and ask Manager if it's ok.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
K_N_L

Whenever we boondock, be it a Flying J, Wally or truck stop, we only put slides enough to move around, and ensure they dont extend in the next space. Depending on the space I have folded the steps in overnight to keep them from protruding. If we run our generator I put up the Genturi stack to keep the exhaust above any neighbors. Never had a problem but always ask in the store as well.
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote