Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #41
Ken / Claudia

Jimh look up the mobile auto exemption law regarding warrantless searches. Many do not know it, I mentioned it early in this thread.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #42
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok people this thread is veering off course...

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #43
Kzneft

Interesting topic. Since most states (I believe) consider a RV as a 2nd home, and many states consider if an intruder breaks into your home you have a right to stop them. I always carry but not sure if I would in states like Cal or New York, but if its considered a home then ???
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #44
fourfourto

I carry a rifle it can be in the tv or trailer unloaded for travel .
no problems in ny I think all states your good.
some campgrounds might not permit firearms

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #45
goducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzneft View Post
Interesting topic. Since most states (I believe) consider a RV as a 2nd home, and many states consider if an intruder breaks into your home you have a right to stop them. I always carry but not sure if I would in states like Cal or New York, but if its considered a home then ???
I take my pistol to CA every year at least once or twice. I'm from Oregon. CA is not reciprocal to any other state. I leave it unloaded and locked in the RV safe.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #46
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just an observation, dont throw rotten tomatoes. Sure sounds like you all camp in some pretty rough and scary places from the conversations/comments. I grew up in East St. Louis and don't fear anything.

Dont hear what I'm not saying. If an outsider read this they'd think that owning a trailer is the most dangerous activity in the world. Carry on. Guns and postings.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #47
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Just an observation, dont throw rotten tomatoes. Sure sounds like you all camp in some pretty rough and scary places from the conversations/comments. I grew up in East St. Louis and don't fear anything.

Dont hear what I'm not saying. If an outsider read this they'd think that owning a trailer is the most dangerous activity in the world. Carry on. Guns and postings.
I can vouch for how bad East St. Louis is.....I grew about 15 miles from there!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #48
Fireman286

I pretty much always have a pistol in the camper. Being that we are east of the Mississippi we are most always in campgrounds, I keep rat shot in the gun. I would hate to shoot a hollow point round in a campground, and figure if someone were to walk in the camper they would be close enough the pellets would work fine.
That being said I have never even come close to feeling the need to consider grabbing a gun camping or anywhere else.
Fireman286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:40 AM   #49
jlb27537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwiles58 View Post
My son and I were having a discussion the other day about carrying a firearm in the RV. I told him I would post and see what others opinions were on carrying a firearm in the RV and concerns about differing State Laws. What's your opinion, do your carry, or not? Thanks
Short answer, Yes. Both the wife and I have Texas Conceled Carry Licenses. We both are always armed. Both in the vehicles and in the 5th. We only travel in states that recognizes our Texas license.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #50
gearhead

I have a concealed permit. I am almost always carrying. I never carry openly. When travelling I have a pistol in the trailer and another either in my pocket or in the truck door pocket with a small towel somewhat covering it.
I use the same site mentioned...handgunlaw.us. I try to avoid spending money in any state that doesn't allow me to be armed. I have stopped and separated and locked pistol from ammo before entering Maryland. Stopped ironically in Winchester, VA.
If the wife is with me I keep a simple to operate S&W Airweight .38 double action revolver that has no visible hammer or safety; just pull the trigger. I have a 9mm in my pocket.
One time you need it and don't have it you will likely carry as much as possible. Believe me, it's a terrible feeling.
East St. Louis or east Houston...pick your poison.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #51
travelin texans

Just curious! Of ALL you folks that are always "packin", other than past/present law enforcement or past/present military, how many times, if ever, have you had the need to draw that weapon & use it? Or is it just for that one in a million occasion?
Don't take me wrong, if you want to carry, by all means do. We've been coast to coast border to border several times staying in parks & campgrounds the last 10 years & not once have I wished I had a weapon & have never been sorry I don't.
My SIL & her husband are always carrying & to be honest that scares me much worse than what MIGHT someday/some time happen. Her because if the need would EVER come up after she pees her pants & tries to find it in her gigantic purse they've knocked her out & used her gun on her & whoever is with her. Him because he can't wait for the day that he can whip it out & play Wyatt Warp. Wondering how many others fall into those categories is what scares me.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #52
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just curious! Of ALL you folks that are always "packin", other than past/present law enforcement or past/present military, how many times, if ever, have you had the need to draw that weapon & use it? Or is it just for that one in a million occasion?
Don't take me wrong, if you want to carry, by all means do. We've been coast to coast border to border several times staying in parks & campgrounds the last 10 years & not once have I wished I had a weapon & have never been sorry I don't.
My SIL & her husband are always carrying & to be honest that scares me much worse than what MIGHT someday/some time happen. Her because if the need would EVER come up after she pees her pants & tries to find it in her gigantic purse they've knocked her out & used her gun on her & whoever is with her. Him because he can't wait for the day that he can whip it out & play Wyatt Warp. Wondering how many others fall into those categories is what scares me.
There are always going to be so exceptions to any rule made, and that includes people that have CCW permits. Anyone and EVERYONE that decides to apply for, test out, and receive a permit SHOULD take that responsibility VERY Seriously.....it's not a game! Along with that metric ton full of responsibility also includes being prepared, which should also include being constantly vigilant and alert. Practice with the weapon that you are going to carry, and know the laws that pertain to your state or area that you will be travelling. Being caught by surprise puts you at a distinct disadvantage, so be alert. I cannot emphasize the importance of staying alert, anywhere, everywhere, day, night, .....Everywhere and all the time. I have never had to pull my weapon and I pray that I never will, because if it comes out, I am totally prepared to protect myself and others to the best of my ability. It's not the wild west/cowboy attitude for the ones like myself that are responsible gun owners/carriers. We actually would choose to get away from a situation that might turn bad. That is why we have the law enforcement folks. But let's face it, they are not always there when you might need them, and that's certainly no fault of theirs, it just a fact of life and we can all chose to take a chance and hope that the situation will resolve itself, or we can be totally ready, prepared, and willing to take whatever means is necessary to protect ourselves. I've had two times, since carrying concealed that because of being alert and observant, I saw something that could possibly turn bad. My hand went to the weapon and thank goodness I never had to draw it from the holster, but I was ready if my life was going to be at risk for great bodily harm from those persons. Pulling a gun out to scare someone away will likely (depending on where you live) get you a "brandishing a weapon" charge. It needs to stay in it's place unless it needs to be used....and as I stated earlier.....I pray to God that day never, ever comes.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Careful with responses please !!!!! The conversation needs to remain "related to RV'ers having guns available when RV'ing.... If it gets off topic and becomes "who should be carrying and whether they know how to use it" the thread will be closed per forum rules. Please stay on topic......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #54
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Careful with responses please !!!!! The conversation needs to remain "related to RV'ers having guns available when RV'ing.... If it gets off topic and becomes "who should be carrying and whether they know how to use it" the thread will be closed per forum rules. Please stay on topic......
The OP got lost about 5 pages pages back!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The OP got lost about 5 pages pages back!
I don't agree with your assessment of where it "got lost".... Discussions of guns, RV's, which states allow carry, which don't, how to stay "within the restrictions" and what might get someone in trouble with the law are all "fairly well within the OP's subject matter.

Where it went astray was when someone started talking about personalities of people who have firearms, whether they can find them in their "disarray" and "whipping it out to be like Wyatt Earp". That has nothing to do with firearms and RV's and opens the door to comments that are no longer related to RV's and firearms.... So, the "gentle this time" reminder from me.......

Let's get it back to RV's and firearms or don't post in the thread. The alternative is to close the thread, something I really don't want to do.

'nuff said, please comply.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #56
chuckster57
Site Team

I have stayed out of this thread until now. I am retired LEO and it comes with some privileges not afforded the general public.

That said, yes I carry a few different caliber handguns, one in the TV while on the road. Last year I stayed at a CG that advertised a private range nearby. Knowing that, I took 5 handguns and shot all of them. Even let a person at the range enjoy the recoil of my .500mag.
I have had occasion to draw the .357 magnum for a bear in my camp spot. Since other means scared him off, no discharge needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

The campground we frequent for bass fishing in the UP is 13 miles down a dirt road and about 25 miles from the nearest phone/emergency response. There are coyote, bear, wolves and now the DNR states cougar have been spotted in the area. We've seen coyote and bear in the trash cans at the campground. We haven't seen wolves or cougar, but rest assured that if we are the only people in the campground (a almost every trip occurrence) I don't want to be left with a spoon and an old pot to bang on for self defense. I have a CPL (concealed pistol license) and feel it necessary to have a weapon in the boat (for walks back to the camper after dark), in my pocket if walking to the pit toilet and even sitting outside around the campfire late at night. If you've ever had "that feeling" and the hair on the back of your neck stands on end, you know why I feel it's important to protect my family. When camping, I'm not nearly as concerned with the "two legged ones" that frequent city street corners, it's the "four legged ones" that are hungry and view us as a potential source of protein.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #58
Mates Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwiles58 View Post
I was actually more interested in if you carry in your RV not on your person. I don't have an opinion on open carry/concealed carry etc. Just wondered if you kept a firearm inside the RV and what the legalities might be from state to state.
The Best source of information for carrying firearms while travelling that I have found is a book titled "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States". It is published annually and has tons of information for each state. I order my direct from their website: www.gunlawguide.com. I have been using this guide for many years.

Happy & Safe Travels,

Mike from Belleville IL.
Mates Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't agree with your assessment of where it "got lost".... Discussions of guns, RV's, which states allow carry, which don't, how to stay "within the restrictions" and what might get someone in trouble with the law are all "fairly well within the OP's subject matter.

Where it went astray was when someone started talking about personalities of people who have firearms, whether they can find them in their "disarray" and "whipping it out to be like Wyatt Earp". That has nothing to do with firearms and RV's and opens the door to comments that are no longer related to RV's and firearms.... So, the "gentle this time" reminder from me.......

Let's get it back to RV's and firearms or don't post in the thread. The alternative is to close the thread, something I really don't want to do.

'nuff said, please comply.....
Thanks John and moderators. Those interested, or worried, about carrying a weapon in an RV need to have real life experiences/knowledge of how folks carry them and comply with the law along with the reasons that a person may want to have one.

Some folks, as illustrated by a poster, are either terrified of weapons or have never been in a situation, without one, where a person (or persons) were in complete control of your life and your only recourse was to beg or accept the consequences to you and your family. I've been there...and never will be again. Those that think the world is a perfect place and every other human is looking out for you....good luck. Not trying to redirect the conversation; I think my comments go back to what the OP was asking and his concerns.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:00 AM   #60
Javi

I have carried a firearm on or about my person on a daily basis for more than 50 years.... I see no reason to talk about or defend the times that I've had to use it for it's intended purpose, but use it I have..

As with most things in life choices have consequences... Make your own choices and live with the consequences... it's called Personal Responsibility..