Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
ihbond

Possibily looking at purchasing a 1/2 ton, questions

So, buy your floor plan first..Didn't listen to my own advice..and now it will cost us..

SORRY TO START OFF MY FIRST THREAD THIS WAY..Just trying to play a quick catch up .

Currently we own a 2018 2108ds Winnebago and the trailer floor plan does not meet our needs after a couple of times rv'ing. No issues with the quality so far...Just cramped. For my wife and our 1 dog. I have owned other RV's in the past.

So folks;
i have joined the forum as my wife and I are looking at spending (what we consider a lot of money) on a 2018\19 cougar 1/2 ton 26brswe or something in that size. We tow with a f150 (which can handle the weight and hitch weight)..

my main concern is, figured I would ask the experts here first then hearing it from my local stealership.

1) Would you buy a cougar towable again ?
2) Are you seeing a trend of quality issues go up since THOR owns it ?
3) Customer service (I get that its the typical when in doubt ship it out, including winni's trust me..there are issues on all sides). How responsive is CS in the first year ?
4) IS the trailer holding up after use (Drawers, Cushions, electrical, etc )
5) any other towable companies (ORV, Lance) would you look at ?
6) how is the Slideout mechanism's (Airplane wire) working for you so far

I must admit, i have done a few searches, but getting a little worried on the negative feedback i have seen so far... I believe Cougar has some modern design thinking, just trying to do some more analysis (paralysis)...

THanks
Ian
ihbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Tbos

Possibily looking at purchasing a 1/2 ton, questions

I know several people with Cougars and they all enjoy them. The Passport I just traded in had a very large cable slide and I never had any issues with it. They do need to be adjusted if not correct but that happens with anything.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
DocP

I'd buy another Cougar again in a heartbeat. Very, very few issues so far, and the fit and finish is infinitely better than any of the other travel trailers and motorhomes I have owned (and there have been quite a few). Keystone customer support has been very supportive and rapid in their response to me.

Keep in mind that satisfied customers often don't take the time to post good things on the forums. So, you often end up reading about those who had problems (legitimate problems, to be sure, but I would hazard the guess that there are more satisfied than dissatisfied folks). Just my thoughts, for what they're worth! Good luck with your decision.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
RoscoeV

I have the Cougar 26SABWE half ton and have not had any issues and have not had to contact customer service.

I would buy another Keystone product again without any concerns. Keep in mind that you will find negative feedback on all manufacturers and people that do not have issues do not provide that feedback on the forums.

As mentioned above download the PDI from this forum and spend a few hours doing the inspection. This will also get you very familiar with the rig. The other option is take it to a dealer and pay them to do it but in my opinion it is better to do it yourself.

Good luck and rest assured that the Keystone Cougar line is not junk.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Dave W

Welcome - hope you choose a Cougar

We originally went looking for a Cougar and found that for the dollars spent, they were a good buy.

Cable slides on our Montana HC are working well. I have had to adjust two of the four but that is pretty easy if you have any mechanical inclination, the BAL manual and three wrenches.

Dealer service is a crapshoot regardless with smaller usually beter then the massive dealers. Camping World is often but not always at the bottom of the pile.

As far as holding up - there are a lot of these Cougars on the road. I have yet to talk t anyone that isn't happy with his. I am not overjoyed with an ultra light as there are lesser materials used, but again, these seem to be doing well.

As far as Thor owning Keystone - they aren't any worse or better then Forest River. They let the individual company's mostly do their 'thing' and worry about the bottom line. You choose what you like and need in an RV then dicker for your best price - and how we ended up with what we have instead of a Cougar 327RES
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
maccam1

I've had a 2006 jayco,2007 keystone Springdale a 2011 coachman Catalina, now a 2018 cougar 32rli.
I had no second thoughts about purchasing another keystone product.
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Customer service is all about the dealer. Maybe review dealers as much as trailer brands and find one with great reviews regarding service and warranty work. I kind of get a kick out of the number of people who go right to Keystone leaving the dealer and their service dept. out. They always say I talked to someone who knew nothing about my unit. Of course they do not, they work in a office not on the line or in a service dept, maybe never even been in a trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
ihbond

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Customer service is all about the dealer. Maybe review dealers as much as trailer brands and find one with great reviews regarding service and warranty work. I kind of get a kick out of the number of people who go right to Keystone leaving the dealer and their service dept. out. They always say I talked to someone who knew nothing about my unit. Of course they do not, they work in a office not on the line or in a service dept, maybe never even been in a trailer.
Agreed, a great service dept will carry you pretty far. What i find is that when the repair requires some lengthy work or big expensive ticket items the dealerships\repair dept hands are tied.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
ihbond

thanks, and good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccam1 View Post
I've had a 2006 jayco,2007 keystone Springdale a 2011 coachman Catalina, now a 2018 cougar 32rli.
I had no second thoughts about purchasing another keystone product.
Thank you for your reply.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
ihbond

Thanks, i do like their modern floor plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Welcome - hope you choose a Cougar

We originally went looking for a Cougar and found that for the dollars spent, they were a good buy.

Cable slides on our Montana HC are working well. I have had to adjust two of the four but that is pretty easy if you have any mechanical inclination, the BAL manual and three wrenches.

Dealer service is a crapshoot regardless with smaller usually beter then the massive dealers. Camping World is often but not always at the bottom of the pile.

As far as holding up - there are a lot of these Cougars on the road. I have yet to talk t anyone that isn't happy with his. I am not overjoyed with an ultra light as there are lesser materials used, but again, these seem to be doing well.

As far as Thor owning Keystone - they aren't any worse or better then Forest River. They let the individual company's mostly do their 'thing' and worry about the bottom line. You choose what you like and need in an RV then dicker for your best price - and how we ended up with what we have instead of a Cougar 327RES

I guess i hear from others in different forums that their bottom line impacts their quantity sold without ramping up resources or providing better insutry standards. Of course that is all perception. As I do now work there , so those type of concerns are usually just vented issues from their RV's defects or mishandling.

Do you know how there resale value does compared to other companies out there ? Just curious, in case i do need to sell it...
Old 05-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #11
ihbond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I'd buy another Cougar again in a heartbeat. Very, very few issues so far, and the fit and finish is infinitely better than any of the other travel trailers and motorhomes I have owned (and there have been quite a few). Keystone customer support has been very supportive and rapid in their response to me.

Keep in mind that satisfied customers often don't take the time to post good things on the forums. So, you often end up reading about those who had problems (legitimate problems, to be sure, but I would hazard the guess that there are more satisfied than dissatisfied folks). Just my thoughts, for what they're worth! Good luck with your decision.
Kind of like why do the have contracts..in case things go wrong, not when things go right.

What year is your cougar and model, if you don't mind me asking..so i can understand the context.

When i looked at one in person, the drawers seemed a little "slapped" together, but TBH, most of the other manufactures also fall into that category.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
ihbond

Thanks, about the cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I know several people with Cougars and they all enjoy them. The Passport I just traded in had a very large cable slide and I never had any issues with it. They do need to be adjusted if not correct but that happens with anything.
I thought the new cables were airplane grade and stretched verry little so adjustments would not be needed. Not like the cables of old days. Is it a pain to get to the adjustments ?

BTW who makes the frame..are they lipperts ? Do you know ?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
ihbond

thanks, definitely agreed about the PDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
I have the Cougar 26SABWE half ton and have not had any issues and have not had to contact customer service.

I would buy another Keystone product again without any concerns. Keep in mind that you will find negative feedback on all manufacturers and people that do not have issues do not provide that feedback on the forums.

As mentioned above download the PDI from this forum and spend a few hours doing the inspection. This will also get you very familiar with the rig. The other option is take it to a dealer and pay them to do it but in my opinion it is better to do it yourself.

Good luck and rest assured that the Keystone Cougar line is not junk.
Spent about 2-3 hours on my PDI when i bought the winni. I was Disappointing in support from the RV dealership in the quality of walk around when i pointed out issues. The typical. oh sure we can fix it..will take about a month . Please leave your RV there. Stuff like cables being crammed into the outside conduit without appropriate sleeves.

Good to hear that about your 1/2 ton. anything that when you did your PDI or after ownership you might i take a look at based upon your personal experience with your RV ?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
Kind of like why do the have contracts..in case things go wrong, not when things go right.

What year is your cougar and model, if you don't mind me asking..so i can understand the context.

When i looked at one in person, the drawers seemed a little "slapped" together, but TBH, most of the other manufactures also fall into that category.
I've got the 2018 Cougar 32RLI.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #15
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
Spent about 2-3 hours on my PDI when i bought the winni. I was Disappointing in support from the RV dealership in the quality of walk around when i pointed out issues. The typical. oh sure we can fix it..will take about a month . Please leave your RV there. Stuff like cables being crammed into the outside conduit without appropriate sleeves.

Good to hear that about your 1/2 ton. anything that when you did your PDI or after ownership you might i take a look at based upon your personal experience with your RV ?

Thanks
Actually everything went well with my PDI and we did not have any issues after we picked it up.

We bought our Cougar at the dealers smaller location at their grand opening and they transported it to their main location around 20 miles away where they have their shop. I contacted the sales manager at that location after I signed the purchase agreement and gave a deposit and stated I was in no hurry to pick it up and I wanted everything to be perfect when I came in to do the paperwork and do the PDI. I also stated I wanted to do the PDI prior to signing the contract because I didn't want to find any issues and have to make another trip. I let them have it for two weeks after I signed the purchase agreement to complete their dealer prep and get it ready for my PDI. Everything went smooth and as I said we have not had any issues to date.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 05-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #16
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
RoscoeV, do you have a link to the PDI that you are referring to? I can't find it after searching the forum.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobly View Post
RoscoeV, do you have a link to the PDI that you are referring to? I can't find it after searching the forum.
wobly, try this link:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Old 05-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
wobly

RoscoeV Thank you! That link didn't work, but I walked it back to this link and he has shuffled some pages around. I found his PDI checklist on this page...
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

8 rvs purchased, 2 from private parties. I have done different things regarding problems. Ask for a lower price, fix or repair items then I buy. This last one, The salesman made a list and I got it on paper of what needed to be fixed. One item needed to come from the factory. When it came it I made a appointment and took it back. I think the most important thing about a PDI is do not focus on the pretty colors or layout, really check everything and ask for it to be tested by the salesman while you watch. That means lay on the bed, sit on every seat, get down on the floor and look in the cabinets etc, etc. This trailer does not have a ladder so, I missed inspecting the roof until I got it home.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #20
Port List

The manufacturing of RVs is done in a big hurry, by people of various skill levels and motivations. There will be issues because of that. That being said, Keystone has sold me my last two trailers, one a Hideout, and the present one, a Cougar. The quality and fit/finish is up there with the best.

2018 Jayco JayFlight 195 SLX
2018 F-150
Port List is offline   Reply With Quote