Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
BobC

Lippert Level Up Hydraulic Leak

A couple of weeks ago I went to move my 5th wheel to another spot in the storage lot and noticed a significant leak on one of the jacks when I retracted them. After I moved it, disconnected and leveled it, the leak stopped. I retracted them again and the leak started back, leveled and it stopped again.

Most of the posts I found said they were told the jack had to be replaced when people brought them in with any kind of a leak. Lippert doesn't sell rebuild kits.

Then I found a post on another forum talking about a faulty washer on a banjo bolt at the top of his level up jack and it said that was used to keep the leg up instead of springs.

My leak was at the bottom bolt instead of the top but as soon as I removed the front bolt, I could see the washer they use had a rubber o-ring center that had started coming apart.

I bought copper crush washers from the brake parts section in an auto parts store. Annealed the washer with a propane torch and then put the bolt back in with the crush washer. No more leak!

I've got enough washers to replace all of them since most the stuff I read lead me to believe I'll have other fail too and crush washers are recommended over o-rings for these types of applications.

Fingers crossed, but for now, I was saved the cost of replacing a jack. Maybe this will save someone else some money too.

Bob
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Next time you do that, be sure to post some pictures. I'm sure that will help someone else too.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
BobC

I meant to take pictures when I did the repair and just forgot. I still have the old washer and will see if I can update this post with some pictures this weekend.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
gjsweet22

Hello. We have a new Montana 3120. This has happened twice now but probably 3 months apart. The front jack is loosing pressure so one side of the camper is pretty much holding all of the weight. My husband re leveled it and it took litterly almost 3 months and it is down again. Does this jack need replaced?
gjsweet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
BobC

Maybe but if you are not seeing hydraulic fluid pooled on the jack foot and around it, then it's not the same problem I had. There is a good chance the problem is somewhere else in the system. I would get it in for service if it is new and still under warranty. Some of the parts are pretty expensive.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
ChuckS

Since your unit is new and under warranty best to have service dept have a look...But you can do a hydraulic purge yourself before towing back to dealership to see if it’s just air in the system..

Since you are not seeing external leak then either you Have air in the system or an internal bypass leak on one of the two front LG..

There is only one solenoid valve for FLG mounted on passenger FLG side..the FLG is a “lead and follower” system..

Here is how to purge your hydraulic system of air.....

https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0183.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak