Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
plocklin

Water Tank and Tank Mount Failures

I have read on other forums that if you tow with water in your Fresh Water Tank the supporting structure will sag, bend and fail. Albeit this topic was talking about Forrest River trailers some members claimed that ALL trailers have this problem.

I recently purchased a 2007 Keystone Cougar 306BHS and am currently inspecting, repairing and upgrading. I read through the Keystone manual shortly after the purchase and remember a recommendation to “drain all water tanks before towing”. After discovering the water tank failure blog I looked back through the manual and could not find where I read it.

It seems logical to me that you would want to fill your fresh water tank before you travel to your destination so you will have water when you arrive. Therefor if there is a potential support failure on these makes and models I would like to remedy the problem before the failure takes place.

I am reaching out to Keystone owners to ask the following questions so I can learn from those who have already experienced.

1. Do you travel with water in your fresh water tank?
2. Have you ever had failures (sagging, bending or braking) of your fresh water tank support structure?
3. What model of trailer do you have and where is your fresh water tank located?
4. Have you noticed a difference in towing with your Fresh water tank full vs. empty?
5. Do you use water in your tank(s) to balance the load of your travel trailer?

I thank anyone who would answer any of these questions that apply to you.

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post

2. Have you ever had failures (sagging, bending or braking) of your fresh water tank support structure?
3. What model of trailer do you have and where is your fresh water tank located?
4. Have you noticed a difference in towing with your Fresh water tank full vs. empty?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Currently a '15 Cougar 333MKS, at the rear of the trailer capacity 76 gallons.

4. Of course... it is roughly 600 pounds when full.. although normally I don't fill it... Usually I keep 20 to 25 gallons in the tank...

5. Not currently, with a dually I no longer have to think about such things..

However in the past with other trailers such as the Passport 2890RL it was so light in the front end because they moved the axles forward trying to make it 1/2 ton towable that the only way to comfortably tow it was with at least 30 gallons of water in the tank which was in the front of the trailer... without it that trailer flopped around like a fish out of the water...
Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

1 yes

2 No

3 Current trailer see below. Past 7 Rvs owned I carried water in tanks. 4 No

5 No

I carry water because dry camping there is not water. Also I use the toilet not public rest room at rest stops. In my Keystone booket it lists the water as cargo and considered in the GVWR of the trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Ruko

1. Yes
2. No
3. Thor Tahoe Toy Hauler, tanks were directly over the axles.
4. Yes it was balanced and pulled better with the tanks full.
5. Yes

We mostly dry camp and rarely camp in a campground with water so we almost always travel with full tanks. Have never had a problem. I pulled our previous trailer with a Ram 1500. It was a bumper pull toy hauler so the axles were set back farther in order to balance the trailer better with cargo in the back. If we pulled it empty there was way more tongue weight and it squatted the truck more and the front of the trailer sat a little low. If we filled the tanks and put the Rzr in the back the truck and trailer sat nice and level.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Tbos

Water Tank and Tank Mount Failures

Always have water in FW tank when I tow. Have never had an issue.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post
I have read on other forums that if you tow with water in your Fresh Water Tank the supporting structure will sag, bend and fail. Albeit this topic was talking about Forrest River trailers some members claimed that ALL trailers have this problem.
This may be a topic of discussion on some forum thread, but I highly doubt an accurate depiction of fresh water tank support failures in the RV industry. My guess that out of the 100's of thousands of new RVs sold each year and millions of used RVs currently in service, the number of fresh water tank failures (for whatever reason) is incredibly small and irrelevant. Many people partial or completely fill their tanks prior to travel to their camping destination. I know I do. You just don't hear about tanks sagging or breaking free from their mounts or straps. It just doesn't happen with any predictability.

And if it did happen to a measurable amount of RV owners, warnings and cautionary literature (per the manufacturer) would be part of the walkthrough process.

So,

1. yes
2. no
3. Bullet 308BHS
4. yes
5. yes
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
14george

1. Yes
2. No
3. 24 mk frount of axle
4. No
5. Yes about 20 gallons

By the way welcome to the fourm
Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
SummitPond

Yes

No

19FBPR; See the attached image for 43 gal. tank location (red arrow next to bed)

I've never completely filled it up, but no, I've noted no difference.

No
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19fbpr water tank location.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	12309  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

1. Yes. About 20-25 gallons

2. No

3. 319 RLS. Located in the rear.

4. No. Only use about 20-25 gals.

5. No.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
canesfan

1. Yes
2. No
3. In my sig - over the axles.
4. It adds close to 1000lbs if I fill it. Might get a little less fuel mileage. Don't notice anything else.
5. No

There have been threads on other RV forums over the years about this. I think most of it is mythical, just like many other things. Somebody's uncle's brother's niece knew somebody who heard somebody telling someone in the checkout line at the grocery store it happened to their neighbor's daughters dog. As was mentioned in a thread somewhere, sometime, about this, how many fresh water tanks do you see lying along the highway? I see lots of stuff, never a fresh water tank though.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
66joej

^^^^^ I agree with the above posts. I do the same.
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

Op read the FR forums and there are FR models that have had FW tanks bulge. More than a few have dropped while parked and others going down the road. This seems to a limited number of models. FR manuals suggest towing with empty liquid tanks including FW.

Yes, full 60 gallons.

NO.

Cougar 5er ~~ 303RLS FW tank all the way to the rear.

Not in towing but scales show a little lighter pin weight.

NO.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #13
MattHelm21

We always travel with full fresh water tanks when going to races and don't intend to change this with the new trailer.

Yes, full 110 gallons.

No but only 650 miles on the trailer so far(most with the full tank).

See my signature for model. The tank is located just forward of the axles

None but it does add about 300 lbs more to the pin than my sticker says.

NO.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #14
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
I see your question has been answered so I will leave it at that.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
plocklin

By the looks of the responses you are correct. The problem seems to only be with Forrest River travel trailers. So far I am very pleased with my Keystone Cougar.

In case anyone is curious, the thread I am referring to is recent:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-131021.html

Many members posted pictures showing the defects. But again, these are not Keystone trailers.

New tricks
Old 04-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #16
trucker LOU

When first filling of water tank when 2010 Springdale was new,while draining tank after sanitize I observed bulging tank. I added a drain line so did not have to crawl under to drain,also 2"X1/8 angle iron cross brace under tank.I should have used 1/4" as the 1/8" has sagged a little. I have towed the Springdale a little over 120,000mi and tank hasn't fallen out yet. The 2 pics B&A taken into sunlight are a little hard to see detail,but give a look at the fix.----Lou----
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thanks 09017.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	12310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	12311  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
plocklin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
We always travel with full fresh water tanks when going to races and don't intend to change this with the new trailer.

Yes, full 110 gallons.

NO.
Thanks,

I believe my FW tank is just aft of the back axle. I will have to remove the panel to verify. I will check my tongue weight with and without water.

New tricks
Old 04-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post

Yes, full 110 gallons.

NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
When first filling of water tank when 2010 Springdale was new,while draining tank after sanitize I observed bulging tank. I added a drain line so did not have to crawl under to drain,also 2"X1/8 angle iron cross brace under tank.I should have used 1/4" as the 1/8" has sagged a little. I have towed the Springdale a little over 120,000mi and tank hasn't fallen out yet. The 2 pics B&A taken into sunlight are a little hard to see detail,but give a look at the fix.----Lou----

MattHelm21,

Definitely got some sag there but not as bad as the FR models on the thread I mentioned. I attached a couple of pics from those members.

I need to inspect all of my tanks anyway to tighten or repair the tank level /sensor wires. I expect to have a good report on the support structure.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tank Bulge fm Rear sm.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	12319   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank falling out.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	12320  

New tricks
Old 04-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #19
BuxCamper

Yikes!

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #20
Frenshmen11

I fill my tank every time , but I can tell you I am in Canada now with a tank about to fall out. Drained the tank and installed a strap to keep it in for now. I can see a cross member hanging down. The tank is for fresh water and if I am on the road it should start out full. And I don't drain my black water all the time either so that would be one more to tank I'm going to have to check
Frenshmen11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water