Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
RK1978

Wall construction

My wife is partially handicapped and I would like to add some grab bars in a few places in our trailer (2008 Hideout). I do not know how the walls are constructed and therefore do not know best way to fasten a grab bar. We need one near the door and I thought about running long SS bolts through from the outside, but if there is internal framing I can screw into I would rather do that. A related question is can wiring be snaked through the wall or is the cavity between outer skin and interior filled with insulation? If there is reference material about how these are constructed that would be useful I would be grateful for a link to that.
Thanks,
Pat
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
FlyingAroundRV

If it's a late model Keystone TT the outer walls are most likely filled with stryofoam sheeting that fits snugly between the aluminum wall frames. There are some really good videos on YouTube about how the Keystone trailers are constructed. I don't have a link to any specific ones, but if you search for Keystone RV in YT, they'll come up in your searches.
I'm not sure how you would locate the external wall frames, nor how the internal walls are constructed. Might also be worth a phone call to Keystone as I'd expect they've been asked this before.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Frank G

If you are talking about the outside door, there is an aluminum frame surrounding the door. Most units come with an interior and exterior grab handle for safe passage. If you use a very small drill and you find aluminum, you found the frame. Remember it is not very thick.

The interior walls have 1.5 x 1.5 inch wood studs, standard stud finders work. Pre-drill holes and use #8 or 10 Screws. I added grab bars in the shower and have at least 1 #10 x 11/2" screw in each end. I spanned the studs and installed the bars on a angle.

Our unit has reasonable handles on the steps going to the BR, I have been in Cedar Creak's with none. I went through one unit where they fabricated galvanized pipe attached to the floor for hand rails.

You would think someone would offer something for the physically challenged.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

RK1978,

I think you have a 2008 Hideout 26B ?? If I remember correctly, that is an aluminum walled (skin) trailer with a wooden frame. The easiest way to locate the studs in the walls is to go inside, look for vertical rows of staples that hold the interior paneling (luan) to the studs. You'll probably find them at the center of each sheet of paneling. The edges of the sheets will also be over studs, stapled to the studs, and covered with a 1" tape that matches the luan paneling.

Usually, the windows will be centered between two studs that are adjacent to each side of the window. Same with the exterior compartment doors.

Hopefully that will get you started in locating the studs in your exterior walls. Essentially the interior walls can be identified the same way, but realize that there are very few studs on the interior walls and they are probably not as structurally strong as the exterior wall studs.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote