Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
Dorrie

Need to use special personal soaps

I have been wondering if the soaps and shampoos we use in a stick built home can be used in our new home (Montana HC)?
The bath grey tank has been reading has been off. Wondering it is the soap scum. Right now we use bar soaps. TIA
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
I have been wondering if the soaps and shampoos we use in a stick built home can be used in our new home (Montana HC)?
The bath grey tank has been reading has been off. Wondering it is the soap scum. Right now we use bar soaps. TIA
Use what ever soaps you like!
You don't have to buy the overpriced rv toilet paper either, my wife hates the stuff. Use a 2ply "septic safe" of whatever you like, just be sure to use plenty of water per flush (this goes for the rv tp also).
The sensors in ALL of the tanks are completely worthless regardless of what soaps, sensor cleaners, bags of ice or other magic potions you put in them. We've had several rvs in the past & not one of them were the level sensors any where near helpful, I don't even look at them. Some high end motorhomes have a different type that are supposedly accurate.
In time you'll learn the signs of tanks getting full without looking at the level sensors. The bath gray normally backs up into the shower, usually about the time you're all lathered up. On mine we get a bad odor from the kitchen sink when the galley tanks getting full. The toilet will have a different sound when flushing &/or a burp when it's about full.
When connected to a sewer you can leave the the gray tank valves open til a day or 2 before having to dump the black that way you have a rinse for your hose after dumping the black. NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the black valve open & use plenty of water each flush to avoid problems.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^x2. Don't worry about the soap just watch those tanks (not the sensors).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
notanlines

I concur with what Danny said. About the only bath tissue we find acceptable is SCOTT Rapid Dissolve Bath Tissue available at Walmart and "other fine department stores." Usually in the RV stuff department.
Attached Images

2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I concur with what Danny said. About the only bath tissue we find acceptable is SCOTT Rapid Dissolve Bath Tissue available at Walmart and "other fine department stores." Usually in the RV stuff department.

Gotta love the Wally World!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
CrazyCain

WHAT??? People actually use the "Facilities" that came with the rig?? Unheard of!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
JimQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
WHAT??? People actually use the "Facilities" that came with the rig?? Unheard of!!!

That's a good one!∆∆∆ ! For what it's worth, my sensors work just fine.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Use what ever soaps you like!
You don't have to buy the overpriced rv toilet paper either, my wife hates the stuff. Use a 2ply "septic safe" of whatever you like, just be sure to use plenty of water per flush (this goes for the rv tp also).
The sensors in ALL of the tanks are completely worthless regardless of what soaps, sensor cleaners, bags of ice or other magic potions you put in them. We've had several rvs in the past & not one of them were the level sensors any where near helpful, I don't even look at them. Some high end motorhomes have a different type that are supposedly accurate.
In time you'll learn the signs of tanks getting full without looking at the level sensors. The bath gray normally backs up into the shower, usually about the time you're all lathered up. On mine we get a bad odor from the kitchen sink when the galley tanks getting full. The toilet will have a different sound when flushing &/or a burp when it's about full.
When connected to a sewer you can leave the the gray tank valves open til a day or 2 before having to dump the black that way you have a rinse for your hose after dumping the black. NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the black valve open & use plenty of water each flush to avoid problems.
X2 on this one. We live in ours 6 months of the year and follow this advice, including using the black tank flush at every dump.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Tank sensors are useless!!

Only if you don’t keep them clean.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Dorrie

Thanks everyone. Hubby is just freaking out because the sensors are going wonky. I told him and others don't fret. I told him that when he was out to sea I waited till the shower would not drain. And also like said, the toilet don't have that bottomless pit sound like at the state parks. He has to relax a bit. Oh I am not allowed to use the Scott's. But did come to conclusion don't put paper in toilet anymore and count till 10 when flushing. Just double checking on the soaps.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
Thanks everyone. Hubby is just freaking out because the sensors are going wonky. I told him and others don't fret. I told him that when he was out to sea I waited till the shower would not drain. And also like said, the toilet don't have that bottomless pit sound like at the state parks. He has to relax a bit. Oh I am not allowed to use the Scott's. But did come to conclusion don't put paper in toilet anymore and count till 10 when flushing. Just double checking on the soaps.
Why no paper in the toilet???
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
Dorrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Why no paper in the toilet???
Hubby read some posts that the paper turns into like paper mache in the tanks.
I will do it for a while and he will see sensors was not affected by the paper.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #13
notanlines

"the paper turns into like paper mache" Dorrie, if the correct TP is being used and the correct amount of water during the flush, believe me, it isn't the paper that is going to be the problem. If one were to send a (hard to find a term for polite company) sampling of human waste and an appropriate amount of TP into the dark beyond, the TP is pretty much liquid in a matter of seconds, maybe even before the flush. When the "sampling" hits the black tank it is not dissolving like the TP, nay, it is stubborn thing and simply waits for its journey to the black abyss known as the dump station.
I tell newbies to our chosen form of recreation the following things:
Only use the proper TP as described earlier in the thread.
I like the "count to ten when flushing" even if you only took care of "less serious business."
Run your black tank flush every three dumps.
Use a clear extension at your dump valve so you can see when it is as Danny (Sourdough) once described "almost clean enough to drink."
And don't fall back on the idea of putting the used TP in a trash can in the bathroom. That's no way to go through RV'ing life.
Any questions? Now, go sit down and relax, read a magazine. But remember to count to ten!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:28 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Most soaps are rendered fat with added oils. It doesn't matter as long as you drain your tank and if you have a seperate kitchen sink tank then put some Dawn down the drain as it will dissolve the fats from the soap. Years ago we bought a well used hybrid camper and the gray tank took forever to drain. After many back flushings and cleaning up the white solids of soap that came out of the drain it was obvious they didn't believe in draining the GW tank often. As for the dissolvability of the TP any septic safe TP should be OK. To test, place some TP in a jar of water, tighten the cap and shake. The TP should dissolve in a few seconds if it is Septic safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Most soaps are rendered fat with added oils. It doesn't matter as long as you drain your tank and if you have a seperate kitchen sink tank then put some Dawn down the drain as it will dissolve the fats from the soap. Years ago we bought a well used hybrid camper and the gray tank took forever to drain. After many back flushings and cleaning up the white solids of soap that came out of the drain it was obvious they didn't believe in draining the GW tank often. As for the dissolvability of the TP any septic safe TP should be OK. To test, place some TP in a jar of water, tighten the cap and shake. The TP should dissolve in a few seconds if it is Septic safe.
The Dawn in the bathroom gray tank is important IMO. The soaps used in the shower tend to make soap "pods" in the tank where the material from the soap clings to itself and makes a semi solid mass. You can watch them come out of the drain. Placing Dawn in that tank breaks those down and turns it into just plain gray water with no clumps of anything - very handy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #16
Dorrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The Dawn in the bathroom gray tank is important IMO. The soaps used in the shower tend to make soap "pods" in the tank where the material from the soap clings to itself and makes a semi solid mass. You can watch them come out of the drain. Placing Dawn in that tank breaks those down and turns it into just plain gray water with no clumps of anything - very handy.
Well that explains the mystery white clumps we see at the elbow. Hubby swears it is toliet paper, I said soap scum.
I read posts above and put dawn in bathroom tank. Give it couple of dumps see how things go. We camped for over 31 years but first time living in one so we are learning this new style of life one day at a time.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Often times customers bring units in with sensors reading 2/3 or full gray tanks when empty. I make sure the water heater is full of hot water. Then fill sink 1/2 way, pour a good shot of dawn ultra blue. Then open drain and run hot only until all the hot water is gone and then run both sides until tank is full. Leave overnight and then drain. It has worked every time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Often times customers bring units in with sensors reading 2/3 or full gray tanks when empty. I make sure the water heater is full of hot water. Then fill sink 1/2 way, pour a good shot of dawn ultra blue. Then open drain and run hot only until all the hot water is gone and then run both sides until tank is full. Leave overnight and then drain. It has worked every time.
I've done this same procedure countless times over the years & yes it works.........for about 2 fill ups, then they're worthless again. So now just ignore them & go by sound, smell or wading in the shower.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
LuvsPalmTrees

Our tank sensors went crazy for about a year, then all of a sudden they read correctly again. Not sure why. I don't count on them too much. We use the facilities at the campground unless it is at night. MI State campgrounds have great restrooms and showers. We use to camp in a popup so we are use to using the facilities.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #20
MN Roger

We’ve been using Angel Soft. Better than RV toilet paper and gets positive feedback from manufacturers. Never had an issue.
MN Roger is offline   Reply With Quote