Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
aellis

SolarFlex 400i Upgrade

Hello everyone. It's my first post, so I will try to make it a good one. I have the Solar Flex 400i package and I am planning on an expanding to include running the A/C unit for short periods of time. For this project there will be two additional solar panels, a second charging controller, and more lithium batteries The SolarFlex description states it has a second inverter loop for the air conditioning unit. The description of it is:

"ADD SOLAR POWER TO RUN A/C

Add a second inverter (Xantrex - KRV part# 653865 or Magnum - KRV part# 686127) that is large enough to provide power for the A/C unit to the pre-wired A/C loop. In many cases, the air conditioner that comes with your RV can be used when equipped with a Micro-Air Soft Start, Soft Start RV, or similar component. Consult with your dealer for advice specific to your make and model."

I have the Xantrex 2000 watt inverter so I'm assuming a second Xantrex 2000 must be installed. (I know, assumptions are bad) The snag here is Xantrex's customer support team stated the Xantrex 2000 does not have a "stacking" feature allowing two inverters to run in parallel. If they don't run in parallel then how does the second inverter connect with the battery bank?

Maybe someone who has been through this before can share their insights. Thanks and I appreciate it!
aellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
sahively

Unless the inverters are designed to be wired in parallel, I don't believe this is possible. The two units would be out of phase and you would not actually double the available current as you would with DC power.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Djp83

Stacking

Stacking the inverters would refer to the AC (alternating current) side not the DC side. Basically what they are saying is that you could not wire the separate inverter AC circuits together. It would be fine to have one inverter feeding your outlets and the second inverter feeding your air conditioner.
Djp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 01:59 AM   #4
pasayten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp83 View Post
Stacking the inverters would refer to the AC (alternating current) side not the DC side. Basically what they are saying is that you could not wire the separate inverter AC circuits together. It would be fine to have one inverter feeding your outlets and the second inverter feeding your air conditioner.

Yes on this... Separate circuit/wiring... But check that the 2000 watts is big enough for the start amps on the a/c you choose... you may have to bump it up to 3000 watts...

Some typical values...
RV Air Conditioner (Start-up) 16-18 Amps
RV Air Conditioner (Running) 13-16 Amps

18amps x 120v = 2160 watts... so I would go a 3000 watt inverter to be safe... The recommended soft start should also be used and may help... But check!

This article will also help explain the issues...
https://www.renewablewise.com/what-s...-to-run-rv-ac/

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:58 AM   #5
jimsm1

Hello. Any update to this issue? I'm wondering myself. I also have the 400i. I added a 2nd charge controller, 400 additional watts of solar, soft starts on both AC units, and 400ah of LifePO4 batteries.
jimsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:13 AM   #6
aellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsm1 View Post
Hello. Any update to this issue? I'm wondering myself. I also have the 400i. I added a 2nd charge controller, 400 additional watts of solar, soft starts on both AC units, and 400ah of LifePO4 batteries.
No significant updates other than the inverters are not stackable and they run independently. I asked Keystone a couple of questions about the second loop and overall wiring configuration. The service rep was cool, but the engineer she was talking with didn't want to be troubled with answering any questions. I was told to "take it to the dealer."
aellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 06:20 PM   #7
Bhackleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsm1 View Post
Out of curiosity, where did you install the extra batteries? I have the 400i in a fuzion 428 with 2 batteries. I could swear I read somewhere that it was prepped for 3rd battery, but there no space that can find. I'm contemplating the front storage area and routing cables.

I hate giving up the space, I wish there were trays attached to frame like the first 2.
Bhackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #8
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by aellis View Post
Hello everyone. It's my first post, so I will try to make it a good one. I have the Solar Flex 400i package and I am planning on an expanding to include running the A/C unit for short periods of time. For this project there will be two additional solar panels, a second charging controller, and more lithium batteries The SolarFlex description states it has a second inverter loop for the air conditioning unit. The description of it is:

"ADD SOLAR POWER TO RUN A/C

Add a second inverter (Xantrex - KRV part# 653865 or Magnum - KRV part# 686127) that is large enough to provide power for the A/C unit to the pre-wired A/C loop. In many cases, the air conditioner that comes with your RV can be used when equipped with a Micro-Air Soft Start, Soft Start RV, or similar component. Consult with your dealer for advice specific to your make and model."

I have the Xantrex 2000 watt inverter so I'm assuming a second Xantrex 2000 must be installed. (I know, assumptions are bad) The snag here is Xantrex's customer support team stated the Xantrex 2000 does not have a "stacking" feature allowing two inverters to run in parallel. If they don't run in parallel then how does the second inverter connect with the battery bank?

Maybe someone who has been through this before can share their insights. Thanks and I appreciate it!
Hello,

I am looking to do the same thing, interestingly enough my camper has prep for another solar controller and the AC loop. I was wondering the same thing as to how I would power the inverter to run the AC

With the "loop prep" cable in front, is that just the feed, meaning supplying power to the AC's? and I would have to get the battier bank power to the inverter from the batteries themselves?

I would be interested to know how to "power" this second inverter. I also will be putting soft start in my AC's.

Additionally, I have 2LiFePO4 batteries in parallel on my camper to run the "coach". I am assuming that i need a separate battery bank for the AC inverter? to store the solar power in?

Lastly, I assume that the inverter would only run 1 of the AC's? I have prep for a second AC, which I have not installed yet.

Any advice would be appreciated, and if you have completed this project could you tell me how you did it?
Old 08-04-2023, 05:59 AM   #9
klohma

There are three battery "tables" in the Fuzion 428. At least there is in mine a 2022 Fuzion 428. You will need to buy cables to hook them to another battery in parallel, amazon has them and are pretty cheap. Make sure you get some heavy duty cables that can handle the amperage.
klohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:37 AM   #10
Bhackleman

Could you take a picture?
Old 08-06-2023, 02:18 PM   #11
klohma

Picture Attached!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryShelf.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	44796  
klohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #12
Bhackleman

Thanks for the picture. I wondered about that space to the right of the top battery and over the jack. I definitely don't have anything there right now. I thought I had measured and it wasnt big enough. But, it looks like they combined the 2 trays into single flat surface in your setup. That definitely gives me some ideas.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:16 PM   #13
Bhackleman

Here is picture of 2023 battery compartment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Compartment.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	44797  
Old 12-14-2023, 06:59 AM   #14
Firerader

Solar Flex 400i upgrade

After purchasing our Fuzion 373, equipped with the 400i system I can tell it's a good start but needs some upgrades. I'll be watching this thread and I hope to learn what others are doing. I can already tell the two little AGM batteries are a weak point.
Firerader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, upgrade