Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
zuley

2013 Ram 1500 Suspention Air Bags

Read a post this morning that got me thinking about plans for the summer. Have been considering air bags on the back of the goat for the past couple of years. This may be the year we do it. Curious what others have used and their thoughts about same. Pros and cons to using the kits?? Kits range in price from $130 to upwards of $800 per my limited research. I'm thinking I'd like to get the kit that includes the compressor. If so where do others have the compressor installed? Thanks for the feedback.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
Hodgy

I just bought Hellwig air bags for my 1500 Silverado. Have not installed them as yet. There are lots out there, look for the "no drill" ones. Some of them you have to drill holes in the truck frame, that is some hard drilling.

I think Firestone are one of the poplar ones.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Ruko

I had the Air Lift 1000 in my old 1500 for a few years. They were cheap and easy to install which was a good thing because I ended up changing them every spring. They were fully covered under their life time warranty so they sent me a new set every year. The problem I had was they would get brittle and crack in the cold winters here in Edmonton Alberta. After the 3rd year of changing them out I switched to their 5000 air bags instead. They were awesome with no issues at all. They were also much more stable than the 1000's. I had one of their on-board compressors with the low pressure switch and it was also great. They require a minimum of 5 psi at all times and with the low pressure switch it would automatically kick in if the pressure dropped below that. I have since upgraded to a 3500 and once again installed the 5000 air bags and compressor. I would definitely recommend the Air Lift products. Even though I had issues with the 1000's they were great to deal with and sent me new ones every time I needed them.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I used the AirLift 1000s on my Ram 1500 with no issues and no compressor. I live in W TX however and not Canada so I'm sure the extreme winters could have an effect on the bags. The bags I used (2012-2014) seemed pretty thick to me and seemed it would take a lot to crack them. Plus, something I just thought of, I always keep my truck garaged; that might make a difference as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
zuley

Thanks guys. Talking to one of our suppliers I can get the 1000 kit for a buck fifteen. I'm thinking of going that way and if it turns out to be another one of my great life fups I'm not out a bunch of money. Was at the Toronto RV show this past weekend with a group of camping friends and I believe the general consensus with the group was all of our trucks need a little support on the tail ends. Must be an age thing.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Mad Cow

One can get the equivalent performance of air bags with easily installation and no further user attention required. SumoSprings.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
Thanks guys. Talking to one of our suppliers I can get the 1000 kit for a buck fifteen. I'm thinking of going that way and if it turns out to be another one of my great life fups I'm not out a bunch of money. Was at the Toronto RV show this past weekend with a group of camping friends and I believe the general consensus with the group was all of our trucks need a little support on the tail ends. Must be an age thing.
Personally, for the money, I don't think you can mess up with the 1000s. Fairly easy installation; air up when you plan to tow; air down when not. Did a good job of reducing bounce when towing and leveling out the truck when loaded.....should I say somewhat "overloaded" at the time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote