Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
bschmuhl

RV TVs

Is there a certain brand of tv design specifically for travel trailers or will any tv work? I just puchased a new 2017 Summerland Mini 17RD and want to mount a 24 inch flat screan inside any recomendations on what tvs and what brackets to use i will be taking the tv off the bracket during travel so it doesnt pull off the wall.
bschmuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Bisjoe

You can use any TV, but unless you are plugged in or have a generator they won't work unless you buy one that operates on 12 volts, or both 12VDC/110AC. Those are harder to find. For ours, I installed a 24" Smart TV near the dining area, and a 24" normal one in the bedroom, both are just 720p and cost $129/$99 on sale. I got mounts that extend out and swivel so we can watch the dining one from the kitchen when cooking. With 4 screws into the wood framing they are not likely to come out. Just be aware that the stickers they put on at the factory that say "TV MOUNT HERE" are not accurately placed, you still need to use a stud finder. I got a very compact 150 watt inverter that I can plug into the 12 volt socket near the TV and watch it when not connected to power, but it does suck up some battery.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

I have a 40" Vizeo in my 5ver I bought at Walmart. I have a 12V / 110V tv I inherited long ago but have never used because if I am not on shore power, I will have my generator on and 110V seems all that is needed for watching tv or most anything else.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
bschmuhl

my wife prefers full hookups so ill never be running off my battery or generator so then is a regular house tv ok for my TT
Old 12-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschmuhl View Post
my wife prefers full hookups so ill never be running off my battery or generator so then is a regular house tv ok for my TT
Yes, no magic involved, measure the space and get the largest screen that will fit. You can typically find great deals around Super Bowl time if you can wait.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
bschmuhl

sorry i meant to say that we use full hookups when we travel so do i need a special converter or anything and thanks ill look for the deals around Superbowl but i measure the only thing that will fit right is a 24 in
Old 12-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Only thing you need is a receptacle to plug into and some coax.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
cpaulsen

I put two 40" Vizeo's in my 5ver.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
Frank G

The TV's are easy, how you hook up to the outside world is the fun part. Most RV's have a antenna system that will pick up local channels. The performance of the RV system is sketchy at best. 98% of RV parks do not have wifi capable of streaming TV. You can carry a Dish/DirecTV system and hope you have a clear shot at the satellite. You can use a JetPack for streaming until you run out of data or they slow you down. Sometimes, if you are a cable subscriber, you can hook up to there remote wifi and stream video. Yes, some parks do have decent cable on site, some charge for the service.

There are signal enhancers available, and they do work. You mount a antenna high in the air and cable it into a repeater box in the RV. One source is Techno RV.

www.technorv.com

Welcome to the world of RVing.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Bisjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
The TV's are easy, how you hook up to the outside world is the fun part. Most RV's have a antenna system that will pick up local channels. The performance of the RV system is sketchy at best. 98% of RV parks do not have wifi capable of streaming TV. You can carry a Dish/DirecTV system and hope you have a clear shot at the satellite. You can use a JetPack for streaming until you run out of data or they slow you down. Sometimes, if you are a cable subscriber, you can hook up to there remote wifi and stream video. Yes, some parks do have decent cable on site, some charge for the service.

There are signal enhancers available, and they do work. You mount a antenna high in the air and cable it into a repeater box in the RV. One source is Techno RV.

www.technorv.com

Welcome to the world of RVing.
Fortunately, we have a DVD player to watch movies, and if in range, can use an iPad hotspot to access streaming on the smart tv. Even here at the house our tt antenna with the booster only gets 4 channels, just 20 miles from Seattle.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #11
fourfourto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschmuhl View Post
Is there a certain brand of tv design specifically for travel trailers or will any tv work? I just puchased a new 2017 Summerland Mini 17RD and want to mount a 24 inch flat screan inside any recomendations on what tvs and what brackets to use i will be taking the tv off the bracket during travel so it doesnt pull off the wall.
I have the same camper I have a 19 tv there's a support mount tv under A/C.
I installed a inverter for when on battery(optima)

link to some mods I did http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=1750rd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	14781  

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote