Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
ratowles

2010 Keystone Cougar 27rls bumper weight capacity

Want to add a 2" receiver bumper hitch. Need to know how much weight can this 4" bumper can handle. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and wisdom.
ratowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
busterbrown

Not much weight at all, to be quite honest. Do an internet search of "RV bumper failures" and you'll see tons of pics and videos illustrating the aftermath of a failure.

When loaded, bumper mount hitches put significant stress on the thin sheet metal that forms the actual bumper. It's not necessarily the welds of the bumper that fail, it's the sheet metal that cannot hold up to the violence of 65 mph high-speed travel.

As far as a weight, I'd say as much as a spare tire and swing arm BBQ weighs. And that's it. If your planning on securing 4 bicycles to a bike rack carrier or mounting a loaded cargo carrier to "bolt on" bumper receiver, you'll be pushing the limits. It's more appropriate (and safer) to have a receiver hitch fabricated and/or welded to directly to the frame rails.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The 4" bumper can't carry much except a sewer hose and a spare tire with rack. If you're considering a "bolt on bumper receiver" similar to the one in this picture, the bumper isn't rated for that and will likely either fail, bend or the welds will break if you add a cargo tray or a bike rack to that type of bumper receiver.

I think the general consensus is: "Don't do it".....
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
ratowles

Thanks to all. This is what I needed to know.
ratowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
tomd

Bike mount

We are also looking to mount bikes on rear. The bolt appears to be a weak option, I would agree with the 'don't do it' comment.

Is there a bolt on to the frame? I'd rather not weld onto frame in event it becomes a warranty issue.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Curt markets a frame mounted, bolt on hitch receiver that fits frames up to 72" wide. It will fit most Keystone RV's. Keep in mind that if you are concerned with voiding your one year Keystone warranty, the holes you drill in the frame to install a "bolt on receiver" will be a dead giveaway that the frame has been altered, so you probably won't win that one with Keystone. I will say that few people actually have a frame warranty and it's not really Keystone, but the frame manufacturer, usually Lippert, that has the final determination on whether to honor the warranty repairs.

You can view the Curt hitch here: http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone