Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Scratch

Do You Travel With a Full Tank of Water?

We're preparing this morning for our first trip with 'Lonesome Dove'...

When we purchased our travel trailer, we were advised to hit the road with about 1/2 tank of fresh water. Does this hold true for 5ers as well?

Thanks much in advance.

Scratch sends...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
jerseyphil

There are 2 reasons I like water in the Fresh Water tank.

1. If we stop along the road, we can use the toilet.
2. With my 5th wheel, my fresh water tank is in the rear, so it leverages some weight off the pin in the pickup bed.

Happy Camping!!
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

We travel with enough water for "pit stops" along the way and in case of emergencies. Having a rear kitchen trailer and the location of the FW tank it seems to reduce bouncing also. Of course this depends on temperatures while traveling. Enjoy your trip and travel safely. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
f6bits

I suppose the half-tank makes for a more stable TT, but most people I hear from keep about 5 gallons for those on-the-road bathroom breaks.

You can always experiment and see how an empty tank compares to a full tank and then decide between 5 gallons or more.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Scratch

Great advice and mighty quick as well. Thanks folks!

Think I'll go out and put some in the tank. Heading out for the maiden voyage to Matagorda Bay in about three hours.

We're not excited or anything like that...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
rjsurfer

I like to carry 20 or so gallons.

We used to just put 5 gallons or so in but we found when pulling off the side of the road for a pit stop or lunch break the angle of the road combined with the hitch angle always seemed to push the water away from the water tank intake tube.

Twenty is the least we can use reliably.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
drbob30

I always pulled my TT with a full tank, for one reason I had soft water at home, and as stated above for weight distribution. So I plan to do the same with my Laredo 5er. Some people say they don't fill it, due to the added weight, but I've never seen a difference in fuel mileage (full or not).
drbob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
When we purchased our travel trailer, we were advised to hit the road with about 1/2 tank of fresh water. Does this hold true for 5ers as well?
This is one of those questions that reminds us of another way that 5ers and TT's are nearly identical. If it's a good idea to carry some water in a TT, then it is no less of a good idea to carry some water in a 5er, and for all the same reasons. The precise amount is left up to the individual's needs.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Jim W

I normally carry 10 to 15 gallons of water for bathroom breaks for the DW when traveling. Or we stop at the rest area on the interstate highways about every two hours.
I do not like to carry the extra weight since water is 8.34 LBS a gallon and a 60 gallon fresh water tank filled would add 500 LBS more to the trailer mass when towing.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Whether to tow with full, partly full or empty water tank is pretty much an individual decision. Some people may have a reason to fill (or empty) depending on towing characteristics of their rig, others may choose based on other criteria.

We always tow with about a half tank so we have water for washing hands, toilet breaks, etc along the road. If we are going to be "dry camping" I always leave home with a full fresh water tank. Most of the campgrounds we frequent only have a hand pump well to supply replacement water and I am very reluctant to stop at a gas station near our destination and try to maneuver my rig close enough to fill tanks when refueling. Who knows where their hose has been and taking time to drag out my own hoses, connect them to the water supply at a busy gas station while blocking traffic trying to get to the pumps to refuel just doesn't seem like "neighborly RVing" to me. So, as for dry camping, which is most of our summer, we travel with a full tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
ktmracer

I've towed with a full water tank now for 15,000+ miles with no issues. Reasons are:

1) often dry camp so need water anyway.
2) With full water tanks we can pull in even with a full hookup site and start camping, if I need to add water a few days later I can, no need to get hooked up to start enjoying stuff.
3) Occasionally sites with water may be potable, but not necessarily what you may like drinking
4) Several times we've pulled into a site where water was down for some reason. you'd be suprised how many folk came in with NO water and were scrambling to do anything.
5) We have been caught at sites during a storm or something that ended up causing a loss of power. And with no power, they couldn't run the pumps for the water. But we were ok, others weren't.

Really no negatives I can think of for not traveling with a full or nearly full water tank.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
SLIMSHADIE

As stated earlier, my TT rides better with a full tank. I dont see any difference in mileage. I also fill up with soft water, better on the plumbing. My anode rod still looks brand spanking new. I've camped at a few places where the water was potable but it sure stank.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Bluewater

We always travel with at least 1/2 tank in our Laredo 5er. One thing we do is always drain the tank at least every 2 weeks without fail and we never had foul tasting water.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
davidjsimons

I fill my tank before leaving home. I then have water to use while on the road. As soon as I arrive at my destination, I hook up to the water service. I then save the water remaining in my freshwater holding tank for the return trip and drain it upon my arrival home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Water tank 100% full all the time.

When at the campsite, I operate off the pump... When we need to refill, I use the hose to refill, then put the hose back in the basement.

Using the pump instead of city pressure...
1) One less thing to hook up when I arrive / one less to put away when I leave
2) If you have a leak from a loose fitting or something un-see-able (in cabinet/basement etc), you'll HEAR the pump cycle or blip.
3) When leaving the campsite for extended period, more convenient than turning off spigot.

Many cite weight as a reason to not pull with full tanks. I offer the following.
1) 500 lbs water weight when considering 14,000 lbs is insignificant percentage
2) empty/full - my mileage and performance is the same (with every camper I've ever had - including my previous toy hauler which had 200 gallons on board)

Additional thoughts on weight from when I had a toy hauler:
1) My mileage performance was the same if I had a 2200 lbs car inside or NOT
2) My mileage/performance was the same if I had 2000 lbs jetski trailer in tandem or NOT

Above 50 mph, weight is almost a non-factor when it comes to MPG... It's nearly all aerodynamics/wind drag.

SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Fred_M

For some of the fore mentioned reasons I travel with a full fresh water tank.
We have a 27FT 232SRT(Springdale) hooked up ready to go, we weigh in
at about 14,000 LBS. The tank holds 60gal at 8LB per. Thats about
680LBS out of 14,000. Not much of a difference, I don't notice an increase
in fuel consumption. - Big difference in convenience on the road. - Fred.
P.S., been pulling TT(travel trailer) since 1982.
Fred_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
chuck&gail

We have a toyhauler so fresh water weight is used to get tongue weight between 13 and 15% of total loaded TT weight. Since I prefer 13%, we carry just a few gallons.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
rclark

Leaving Brookings OR for Northern CA parts unknown for sure. Just filled tank to 100% since we may do some dry camping if we cannot find a decent place to stay. Just read reviews of N. CA RV parks and does not look promising, but have Onan 5500 and Direct TV dish so prepared for the worst. Always go at 100%, but I think this is an individual choice to make depending on circumstances.

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
smiller

The difference in mileage is indeed probably insignificant but I still don't see why anyone who isn't planning on dry camping would carry around 500 lbs. or so of extra weight for no reason, more wear on drivetrain, tires, brakes, bearings, etc. Not a lot perhaps, but again why do it for no reason. Also many 5th wheels are running near their gross weight as is, no need to press it.

I usually carry about 1/3 tank to cover on-the-road use or to cover a couple of showers if we are stuck without hookups overnight. OTOH hand I wouldn't hesitate to carry a full tank if I had a good reason, such as headed to a dry camp with questionable water supply, etc. But I just don't see it as a standard operating procedure.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The difference in mileage is indeed probably insignificant but I still don't see why anyone who isn't planning on dry camping would carry around 500 lbs. or so of extra weight for no reason, more wear on drivetrain, tires, brakes, bearings, etc. Not a lot perhaps, but again why do it for no reason. Also many 5th wheels are running near their gross weight as is, no need to press it.

I usually carry about 1/3 tank to cover on-the-road use or to cover a couple of showers if we are stuck without hookups overnight. OTOH hand I wouldn't hesitate to carry a full tank if I had a good reason, such as headed to a dry camp with questionable water supply, etc. But I just don't see it as a standard operating procedure.
a few reasons we travel with a full tank.

1) With full water tanks we can pull in even with a full hookup site and start camping, if I need to add water a few days later I can, no need to get hooked up to start enjoying the camping. Often don't even bother to plug in until the next day since we can easily run everything except AC on the batteries.
3) Occasionally we find sites with water that is potable, but not necessarily what we like drinking or cooking with, or even showering in. Having our "own" water is nice.
4) Several times we've pulled into a site where water was down for some reason. you'd be suprised how many folk came in with NO water and were scrambling to do anything or left.
5) We have been caught at sites during a storm or something that ended up causing a loss of power. And with no power, they couldn't run the pumps for the water. But we were ok, others weren't.

That's enough reasons for us to always travel with a full water tank, especially #4 and 5.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote