Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Smitty43

Gooseneck Hitch

Thinking of putting in a gooseneck hitch in my truck to tow my 5th wheel. Have a 6'6" bed and will be using the 8" offset hitch. Has anyone used this method of towing. Would like to know pros and cons.---Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
Htfiremedic

I use that setup with my F250 and 35' Fuzion TH.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
mhs4771

I would check with the RV Mfr as some will void your warranty is you use a goose-neck adapter. Seems they work fine for some, not so fine for others.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I would personally never use a gooseneck adaptor. Seeing one in action I did NOT like it... Way too much leverage on the pin box if you ask me.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Kenworth

I ran a 7" offset on my 35' Sportsman...rode like poo, and pulled like a see-saw. I wouldn't recommend it, but it might have just been my setup. I switched to a B&W Companion, and LOVE IT
Kenworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
rhd47

As far as I know this is the only goose neck APPROVED by Lippert for their frames. I have the B & W Turn-Over-Ball and giving it some thought when I buy the 5'er.

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...ID=7390&part=0

Still waiting to buy.
rhd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
rclark

Smile

I tried a adapter since the truck had a B & W goose neck when we bought it. We found it to be very rough riding in my 2007 Chev Dually. Pulled 14,000 lb Everest. I would stick with regular 5th wheel hookup. I am happy with my Draw Tite.

Just got a new Alpine 3555rl and it came with a Trail Air King Pin box. Alpine is a little smoother than the Everest, but still not great. I am looking to install Air Lift Air bags at this point. Don't be deceived by the Trail Air name on the king pin box. It does not have any air on the one I have. A different model actually have the air bag and shock. Misleading by Keystone and Trail Air.
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
timd3200

If you already have the B&W turnover ball in your truck. Get the B&W companion hitch. They are a great hitch and very reasonably priced according to other hitches. I have one and love it. It is very stout and it pivots all 4 directions taking lots of twist off your campers pin box. Easy to put in and out of my truck also.
B&W companion hitch
timd3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
crash

I have a goose neck hitch in our f350 ,but I also bought a draw tite 5th wheel that hooks to the goose neck so its easy to remove and we can still use the goose neck best of both worlds.We have already put about 8,000 miles on it and have had not one problem, pulls the 15,000 lbs Raptor great
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
scopx

Will keep watch on this thread

to see whether gooseneck hitch provides a good ride in this application and response from those who use it here. Have entertained building goose type with somewhat of a variation of the Mor/ryde using UHMW and mounting the flex portion on lower (bed of truck) rather than on upper portion.

I have 20+ foot goose utility trailer which does provide (me at least) with a better "butt feel" than conventional 5th wheel hitch. But, normally do not have loads that compare with current 14K+ 5th wheel (yet).

It would appear to me that by lowering as much as possible the fulcrum (point where all pivots from) the more stable a load (ride) will be. A goose type allows easy(ier) hookup and removal which can be more difficult with a plate type mount. With a goose, you just have to get it "somewhere close" and lower trailer over ball. As is round, mating/joining angles can be much more extreme.
Tom
scopx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
TimothyJ

We tow our '12 Cougar 325SRX (10K dripping wet) with a gooseneck conversion for my B&W setup. (Not Companion, just the ball).
I bought one of these:

http://tweetys.com/popupindustriesrv...bedtrucks.aspx

and I like how it handles the trailer.
Here's a couple of details:
1. I got prior approval via my dealer who talked to Keystone about the product.
2. The adapter install calls for threaded bolt and nut on eight spots to be used as fasteners to the pin plate, but there is little access, so we welded each mating edge with 3" of bead on two places to fasten securely.
3. Be prepared to lower your pinbox to the lowest possible setting so you can reduce the "lever" of the adapter upright.

To date we've towed just at 5K miles and have no issues.

For those with strong backs or helpers, the Companion is worth the money.
I didn't want the risk of injury (back issue anyway) so I decided on the adapter.
2012 Cougar 325SRX
TimothyJ is offline   Reply With Quote