Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
UTRod

50 Amp Cord

Does anyone have a good site for purchasing a 50 amp 100ft cord? Wanting to buy a 100ft cord right now so that I can supply power to trailer while it is parked at my house.

Thanks
Chris
UTRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
UTRod

I didn't describe what I was wanting to do very well I want to be able to full power my trailer so that I can use it for a place for over night guest if need be are to just get ready to go for a trip I found a cord online for around $600 didn't know if anyone else might have suggestions on a place to look for a 50 amp 100 ft cord.
UTRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Bob Landry

Standard size wire for 50A is #6. #12 is only rated for 20A. Anyone who says they have been good with #12 on a 50A circuit has been very lucky that they haven't started a fire. You would have to do some careful energy management to do it with #12, especially at 100'. Even at maintaining the load at 20A, I would go a size larger at that distance.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
smiller

I've done 20 amps at 100' with 10-gauge and voltage drop was acceptable, don't think I go with any lighter gauge though. 20 amps @ 240 is probably plenty for most uses, as long as you don't have any excessive A/C or heating loads.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
mikell

I would run underground wire to a 50 amp plug that cost $30 give or take. I would think $150 should handle it
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suggest the following:

Southwire 14782702 UF-B Underground Feeder Cable, 6/3 AWG, 125 ft $286
part number 14-50R. (50 Amp Female Plug) $28
10 sticks of 1" gray conduit $20
Appropriate size gray plastic box to house plug $8
50Amp 220V circuit breaker (to fit your box) $15
6' 4x4 pressure treated post $10

Hire an electrician if you're not handy doing the wiring, but you can easily dig a trench, run the cable through the conduit (run each 10' piece, then glue them together after the wire is in each piece), install the plug in an appropriate box on a 4x4 pole next to your RV, If you already have a 50 AMP outlet outside, you can just wire the new cable into that outlet and not have to go to the circuit breaker panel in the house.

then you can plug in without having an extension cord run across the top of the ground. You'll find that over the summer, having to move that monster to mow, or worse yet, possibly driving over it and damaging it just isn't worth the hassle.

The materials to do it permanently will run about 1/3 less than buying an extension cord. And, if you've never moved a 50 amp cord that's 100' long, you might want to buy a tractor to pull it out to the RV (not really that bad, but it is heavy)

Once you have the wiring permanently installed, you're golden and won't need to mess around with extension cords.

Just one guy's opinion, others may differ.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
dbrinklow

If you want a true 50 amp supply for the TT this requires a 4 wire connection. 2 hots a neutral and a ground.

Use this only if the TT is designed for a 50 amp feed. Otherwise wire for a 30 amp feed with 3 wire configuration.
dbrinklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
rhagfo

Do you have any idea what 100' of 50 amp cable would weigh!!! I like JRTJH suggestion to place a permanent feeder box is far better than an extension cord.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Hire an electrician if you're not handy doing the wiring, but you can easily dig a trench, run the cable through the conduit (run each 10' piece, then glue them together after the wire is in each piece), install the plug in an appropriate box on a 4x4 pole next to your RV, If you already have a 50 AMP outlet outside, you can just wire the new cable into that outlet and not have to go to the circuit breaker panel in the house.

then you can plug in without having an extension cord run across the top of the ground. You'll find that over the summer, having to move that monster to mow, or worse yet, possibly driving over it and damaging it just isn't worth the hassle.

The materials to do it permanently will run about 1/3 less than buying an extension cord. And, if you've never moved a 50 amp cord that's 100' long, you might want to buy a tractor to pull it out to the RV (not really that bad, but it is heavy)

Once you have the wiring permanently installed, you're golden and won't need to mess around with extension cords.

i like this option best. I have a 30amp wired since the popup days. I use one of the marinco 30 amp cords with a built in male 50A end. It goes straight on the 50a end of the camper and plugs straight into the 30a box on the house. One day I may upgrade the house plug but this set up works for all my household needs. Plus it keeps my 30ft 50a cord nice and safe in the camper.
(of subject)I did buy the 90 degree angle 50a cord set for my Christmas present from my grandson. He gives great presents to paw-paw..
but unless you are running more than one ac or one heater the 30 amp will work for most things.
JMHO
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:

Best idea. Rated for the service (if needed). Is only heavy one time (when installed). And doesn't have to be put away (like when mowing!).
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
gduff

A few years ago we decided to make our own RV site at home as we live out in the country. I hired most of the Landscaping out (Dozer, Excavator). We did not pave the site, just stone. We have water, sewer, satellite TV and 50 amp electric. At the time our camper was 30a but I decided to run 50a in case we ever traded up. We recently purchased a 2013 Montana so I am glad I did that. The trench is about 150' from the source and I ran 4-3 and grounded at the hook-up box with the typical 8' brass rod. I purchased a 50 amp RV box from a supplier for RV parks. Also have a separate grounded 50 amp box at the source from the house. I also ran the direct TV cables in a separate conduit to eliminate any electrical interference. We even get Wi-Fi from our home network as we are close enough to the S&B. I am able to run everything without any problems. In the summer we pretty much “full-time" in the back 40 when we are not traveling. We are very happy with the results.
Firestone Air Bags
Pullrite Superglide
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
nuskovich

Installing the 50 amp service plug with underground wiring is the way to go...an 85 pound 50 amp cord is not something you want to lug around.
Tikka .300WM w/ Leupold VariX III 3.5-10
nuskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
tanman32225

Dbrinklow is right.. Listen close he is right... Use a 4 wire conductor to a remote pole like an underground feed. That extra wire is your safety net to keep you from getting fried.
As an added measure I would put i a ground rod with a hard copper wire to ground at the remote pole.

And I agree I would go with a UF (underground Feed) instead of a long long camper cable. It would be a monster to try to carry that chunk of wire also.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman32225 View Post
Dbrinklow is right.. Listen close he is right... Use a 4 wire conductor to a remote pole like an underground feed. That extra wire is your safety net to keep you from getting fried.
As an added measure I would put i a ground rod with a hard copper wire to ground at the remote pole.

And I agree I would go with a UF (underground Feed) instead of a long long camper cable. It would be a monster to try to carry that chunk of wire also.
There may be some confusion on how AGW is configured.

Southwire 14782702 UF-B Underground Feeder Cable, 6/3 AWG is a 4 wire cable. There are two hot wires, a return neutral and a ground wire.

AGW standards list the gage of the wire and the number of conductors in the sheath... ie: 6/2 AGW is 6 gage wire, two conductors and a ground and 6/3 AGW is 6 gage wire, three conductors and a ground.

All romex cable has been identified "with ground" for some time now.

The wire brand and part number listed in my post is a certified UNDERGROUND cable (can be used without conduit) which has two hot leads, a return (neutral) lead and a ground wire. It is certified to be buried underground without conduit in a two hot lead system (240VAC circuit) and is commonly used to wire 50 AMP RV circuits. The ground rod you recommend is not a "bad idea" but is not required by any electrical code that I am aware of (if the proper cable is used).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
tanman32225

Quote:
There may be some confusion on how AGW is configured.

Southwire 14782702 UF-B Underground Feeder Cable, 6/3 AWG is a 4 wire cable. There are two hot wires, a return neutral and a ground wire.

AGW standards list the gage of the wire and the number of conductors in the sheath... ie: 6/2 AGW is 6 gage wire, two conductors and a ground and 6/3 AGW is 6 gage wire, three conductors and a ground.

All romex cable has been identified "with ground" for some time now.

The wire brand and part number listed in my post is a certified UNDERGROUND cable (can be used without conduit) which has two hot leads, a return (neutral) lead and a ground wire. It is certified to be buried underground without conduit in a two hot lead system (240VAC circuit) and is commonly used to wire 50 AMP RV circuits. The ground rod you recommend is not a "bad idea" but is not required by any electrical code that I am aware of (if the proper cable is used).
Exactly. thanks for any clarification.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
wmcclay

I would go with direct burial, but at 100 foot plus risers = 110 ft I would use #4 wire so you do not get a voltage drop at full load. While you have the trench open I would throw in a water line and a second wire for a 110 volt outlet. When I put mine in I also put in telephone and cable.

Good luck
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
mhs4771

If you put in the water line you could put a self draining hydrant at the post, then you wouldn't have to worry about freezing if not in use.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
wmcclay

Being I am from central California, all this talk abount freezing makes me cold. We are going to the coast this weekend, the weather is supposed to be in the 50s. We camp all year around, the down side is I live in California with all of its crazyness.

Wayne
Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclay View Post
I would go with direct burial, but at 100 foot plus risers = 110 ft I would use #4 wire so you do not get a voltage drop at full load. While you have the trench open I would throw in a water line and a second wire for a 110 volt outlet. When I put mine in I also put in telephone and cable.

Good luck
Using the calculated voltage drop, here's the actual figures:

6/3 AGW wire, at 125 ft distance carrying a total 50 Amp load with an input voltage of 120 VAC single phase would deliver (at the terminal plug) 114.992 volts AC. the total voltage drop would be 5.078 volts (well within the acceptable range for RV use)

4/3 AGW at the same distance carrying the same load would provide 116.807 volts with a total voltage drop of 3.192 volts.

While there would be less heat generated by using 4 gage wire, the voltage drop with either configuration would have no effect on operation of a 50 Amp RV at full capacity.

The cost of TC-ER 4/3 Underground Tray Cable is $6.09 per foot, so 125 ft would cost $761.00 plus shipping. That's a far cry from the $286 for 6/3 AWG UF cable.

For the money, and the operational voltage delivered, I'd seriously question if the upgrade to 4 gage would offset the cost.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
wmcclay

The previous poster is correct, I tend to overbuild as almost everyone tends to add this or that. Hey I have power out there I can use it for this. Or I am not happy with the fabric cover and I want to build a shed, now I need lights, etc, etc. So I overbuild, at 700.00 to 800.00 I would consider both options, both direct burial and conduit and multi rated wire. That price seems a little steep, but I buy wire in the 1000 foot rolls. What ever you do do it once and at least code so you do not have problems later.

Wayne