Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
Greg Knight

I purchased a 2010 Cougar 276rls last April and have had it out several times. I did find a couple of small issues but took it to a local rv center who also sells Keystone trailers. (Not the same one I bought my Cougar from).They fixed my small issues in one day. I am very happy with our trailer. Nearly all trailers are produced the same way with products from the same suppliers. I am sure there is some poor workmanship with all manufacturers due to the pay scale they pay their workers and the push for production. People have to understand the structure is made to be light and concessions are made to be the best for being so light. Here's wishing you many years of joy with your trailer. I can't find any trailer in our price range built any better !!!
Greg Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #22
Wagondriver

I think you are one of the lucky ones. How about trying to stay in one that has three different molds in it. And taking it back to the dealer under warranty and got fisacly attacked the service manager. So don't tell me I have no problem my hold family has become sick from this mold infested piece of junk. Wagondriver
Wagondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #23
bigrockk

Smile

We have had our new Cougar 276RLS for about a month now and love it.
I had to tighten up a few water lines after the first few days of use but that is to be expected in my opinion.
So far so good, we are very happy with our purchase!
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #24
Sooner

We have had our Cougar out now 4 times now and just love it! The space we gained is soooooo nice. I know my DH wishes he had more underneath storage, but all in all, we are thrilled! I look forward to many more outings making many more wonderful memories!
Thank you all for your upbeat responses.
See you down the road, Sooner
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #25
campingcpl

Unhappy Still having problems!

We have had our 2009 Sprinter for a little over a year now and it has been in and out of the shop several times. I think some of it is the incompetence of our dealers repair department. We have had it in for a leaking water pump, a break light not working (they finally got it fixed after the third time of having it in for the same problem), they had to replace an awning arm because one of the shop guys caught it on the door while putting the awning back in durring our inspection, we had a leak in the front end that ruined a cabinet and mattress (they had it for 3 weeks for this fix), and now just recently it's back in for another leak in the front end that we found this last weekend while we where camping and it rained (we just got the camper back from getting the frontend redone the day before leaving on our 4th of July weekend trip), and had to replace the converter. To add to the incompetence of the service department, when we purchased our new trailer I also purchased a larger hitch which they were suppose to set up for us. Well when they set it up they set it up wrong and did not include the spacers that were needed to set the angle of the head and to make the leveling bars do what they where made to do, level the truck and trailer. I have worked in hitch shops before and I pointed it out to the tech that was installing it and he told me "we always set these up this way and they seem to work best with the head is sitting level". Our truck sat 3" lower in the back then the front with the way he set it up. I just let it go till I got home and then I took the head apart and put the spacers in ACCORDING TO THE DIRECTIONS and raised the back of the truck level and the trailer level. It pulled a hundred times better when I took it out for a test drive. I guess some service people just really don't care. After they finish fixing this new leak (keeping fingers crossed) I will do any repairs myself or try to find a different shop to take it to. The warrenty ran out on it this month but they told me there wouldn't be a charge because they obviously didn't get the leak fixed the first time. Overall we like the camper and didn't have a problem with the sales department but having a fit about having to take the thing back and forth to the deal for them to fix something they should of fixed in the first place. There are other issues including customer service when it comes to returning phone calls or them even answering their phone. But that is another story.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

I would hope that you have informed - in writing - the management of this dealership of these issues that you have posted here for us to read. Now that your warranty has expired, I assume that you will be looking for a repair facility that is more competent and customer friendly.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #27
campingcpl

That is just it. I have been dealing directly with the service manager along with the general manager of the dealership and I have expressed my disappointment in the service I have recieved. Our salesman has also been involved in getting some of the stuff taken care of for us.

Fortunately I am lucky to be living in the RV capital and I work for a competitor manufacturer to Thor . So I have all the resources to fix things myself or know enough people that could fix what I can not. I figured if I have the warranty I would use it. Save me the time and busted knuckles.

An update: The service manager called me this morning and told me that our unit was ready to pick up. He said they went over the entire roof and checked for leaks. The only thing they found was that one of the marker lights at the top front (this is one that they had removed and put back on when they replaced the front glass) was not sealed completely. He said they pulled the panel loose to check for wet insulation or water damage inside the wall and he said they didn't find any except for a damp spot right around where the light was mounted. I guess it was a good thing we caught it in time or they would of had to take the front end apart again and replace all the insulation and wall panel all over again. The one good thing is they were willing to make it right and not charge me for any of the time or materials. They even checked out rest of the unit for me like the brakes, slide, etc.. They even offered to replace the thermostat after I asked them if they have had any complaints about the furnace or A/C running constantly or not wanting to turn on at all as the temp went up or down. I told them it wasn't necessary because I would be upgrading to a digital thermostat.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #28
antiqfreq

Phil,

We will keep our fingers crossed for you and hope ALL items are now repaired to your satisfaction.

In as much as every RV has it's problems, big or small, it surely makes a huge difference which dealer or repair people you are dealing with.

As you said, now that the warranty is up, you'll do it yourself OR find a more competent repair person to work on it.

Good luck and we wish you happy, trouble-free camping experiences!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #29
campingcpl

Thanks Jo! Hopefully we will have all the bugs worked out of this thing now.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 08-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #30
Eckerhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I was so excited to find this site, thinking that I would have a good time "talking" with other Keystone and Cougar owners.

But reading through the threads I am finding discouraging comments on how bad the company is, how horribly their RVs were built, awful this and awful that, etc.

We have a brand new Cougar that we are so excited to have and can't wait to use....then we read all these disparaging threads and it unnerves us.

Is no one happy with their Keystone?

Sooner
My advise is to relax. I have had two issues with mine both easily fixed whenever I get around to it or take it to a dealer. I'm extremely pleased with the unit quality and the response from customer service with one exception.
The techs are not all ways able to supply answers because the variety of options is so high i.e. a good thing like having lots of options does have a downside but its not what I would call a major problem or make me upset with company. For example, I have two grey tanks but panel only has one pull rod. They could not tell me where the other one was located. Crawling around in most likely place I did find it.
Eckerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #31
easternshorebilly

I was concerned too....

I admit that I browsed this site before we purchased our trailer. But I think customers/people are much quicker to address the negative than focus on the positive.
Didn't deter me from making my purchase though. I read and spoke to many Keystone owner who are very satified with the product.
easternshorebilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #32
judgemechanical

This is not our first 5'er but it sure is the nicest! So far we have only had it out a few times and towed only a couple thousand miles, but it tows beautifully and setting up is a breeze. The controls and jacks, etc are easy to find and use, The quality and finish are incredible and my wife loves her camper (very important for my relaxation!). Our dealer treated us well and continues to check in on our satisfaction level. All in all it has been a much better experiance than our last purchase and I would not hesitate to purchase a Keystone product again. Just my .02 cents.

Enjoy and welcome.
2008 Harley Streetglide
"Now that's camping!"
judgemechanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
Brad

294 sprringdale

We have loved all 3 of our springdales just the last one has a few issues that has to be worked out...for the most part I think it a very nice unit!!!!!
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #34
antiqfreq

We love our 291RLS fiver.

We fulltime now over 10 months and lived in it 4 months before we left South Florida.

We will probably fulltime in it another 12-18 months before we decide to settle down somewhere and start using it just for weekend use.

So far we have at least 25,000-30,000 miles of towing and no 'real' problems to speak of. Most of the issues are caused from bad roads across this country.

All of the 'little' things that went wrong we fixed on our own. Our fiver has never been to a dealer since the day we picked it up. I hope it stays that way.

We find that there are more happy owners than unhappy owners - and this is the case with every brand of RV.

We hope everyone gets many good years of camping experiences from their perspective campers!

Take care,

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #35
Tim Cline

praise

I loved my Palomino Pop up. 14 years and not one problem. Thousands of miles coast to coast. So I will give praise when due. My Keystone? Perhaps if there were better customer service and Keystone would admit to their build issues instead of looking at the calendar first and then saying Oh your warranty expired yesterday its not our fault that piece is supposed to be crooked and cause damage don't call us we'll call you. The dealer won't even call them.
Tim Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #36
Sebring

We LOVE our 30TRL Challenger...always snoop around at dealerships and walk away saying the same thing..."still like ours the best". We have not had any problems, but the main thing is you need to be always checking things out, my DH is always poking around to make sure this 'n' that is fine. Which is what should be done on any make of trailer. Enjoy your new Cougar!
2008 GMC Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Good Sam Member
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote