Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Piex2

buying in Vermont?

we are going to Vermont to look at a fifth wheel was wondering if anyone has heard if problems because of the recent floods there in august?
Piex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Mark and Bev

Hi Sharon and Steve, I live in Southwestern Vermont and to the best of my knowledge most of the roads and bridges have been repaired. You could always contact the owner of the trailor or the state police and tell them your planned route and I'm sure they could tell you any problem areas, if any. Good luck on your purchase. Mark
Mark and Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
f6bits

Maybe the OP was concerned about trailer damage. That’s what I first thought when I read it.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
jq1031

I agree with sdayman, check for flood damage, water marks etc. If it's a dealer owned RV I would be less concerned!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
hankaye

Howdy All;

"If it's a dealer owned RV I would be less concerned!"

Why would you be less concerned... They need to sell their units too.
AND, unless you ask... they probably won't volenteer the information...
One aspect of (If THEY, prospective buyer), Don't ask ..... don't tell (Them it was up to it's kitchen counter in flood water),that wasn't repealed. The Almighty $ makes folks do some funny things at times.....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #6
mikell

I bought a truck once that was in a flood. All in all it was a great deal and a good truck EXCEPT!!!! When it got hot and humid it stunk to high heaven. Had to pull the carpet and throw it away and sand kept coming out from under the dash so that was a little weird
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Outbackmel

Wink Flood Damage

I can only relay from 1st hand experience and knowledge. Here's my view:
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT; hire an expert or walk. PERIOD.

Someone wrote that the "almighty dollar" profit motive entices people to do extra ordinary, often "bad" things.

After being in the car/rv/mobile home finance bz for 38 yrs I have experienced seeing "most" of the tricks and shoddy repairs. Chances are if you are not aware of every detail, you will overlook something and that could be "tragic" in a vehicle or RV. There is a reason that major auto mfgrs "crush" flood vehicles and do not allow (with their knowledge) even parts be stripped and resold. Not necessarily so with other financial institutions. Vehicles are often sold with a "salvage" title or "salvage rebuilt" or simply never reported as damaged by the consumer or bought at salvage and ?? who knows.

I speak from the WISDOM of experience having personally sold 10's of thousands of vehicles and mobile homes that were repossessed. All I say is; if it's too good to be true; get an expert or walk.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote