Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
albertr

Removing batteries from Avalanche 290RL

A few days ago I removed the 2 6-volt batteries. The batteries are in an ideal location in a lot of respects but I had a hard time lifting them out because they are kinda jammed in tight. Thinking of some kind of modification to make this easier. Anybody familiar with this set up? Ideas... Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

Hi you can go to an auto parts store and get a battery strap. It is made of thick rubber and has two rings that go over the termials no tools required to use. Noscrapped knucels too!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
chuck&gail

IMHO the easiest thing to do is only remove them when they are bad and need replacing. That is what I've done successfully for over 50 years. Works for me. I do use a battery cutoff switch on my TT, and small solar system to keep batteries topped up.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I have left our 6v batteries in rather than take them out. As you mentioned, they are heavy brutes and mine are in an awkward location to lift them out easily. As long as you keep them topped up and fully charged, they are in no danger of freezing or damage.
I've never had a problem with leaving them in over the winter months and they have been in freezing temps for some of that time.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
KenBob

I had to go to a battery specialty dealer to get a carry strap for our 6v golf cart batteries. I have the advantage of having our Fuzion stored at home and hooked up to shore power and can check on the batteries. If it were stored elsewhere, I would remove the batteries and keep them maintained until next trip. Removing and installing the batteries would be a PITA, but necessary. I would welcome a way to remove and install them w/o having to do any physical training before doing the job.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
albertr

removing batteries

Mine is in storage. I will take it out around end of Dec.. Wanted to make sure batteries were fully charged to start the trip South. I do have a carrying strap. The batteries sit in an angle iron frame. About half way up the battery there is another angle fram that fits pretty snugly. The batteries appear to have bulged a bit. A real pain to 'straight-arm' out of there. Thinking seriously of removing the angle located part ways up the battery. Al.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

KENBOB THE BEST WAY TO DO IT WITH OUT A WORKOUT IS HAVE YOU DW ASK SOMEYOUNG KID TO DO IT AND HIDE IT THE TREE LINE TILL HE'S GONE... OR ROLL THE CAMPER OVER THEY WILL JUST FALL OUT HAHAHA
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote