Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
byrdr1

Question about black tank

I have question about the black tank rinser on my 327RES.
Can anybody explain or tell me why the inlet goes to plastic piping behind the service panel. Then runs across the inside of basement area and then up through the floor into the main bathroom cabinet. Then it has some type of valve and then it runs back down through the wall/hole. back across the basement and back down through the floor and I guess into the black tank.
Would it work to just cut all this extra piping out and run it straight to the rinser. I found all this out while I am working on installing my water pump converter kit. I am moving this valve to right behind the access panel by the service panel. I have to remove this panel to turn the by-pass on the HWH so I figures this was a good place to put this kit plus I need a couple feet of 5/8 braided piping and another coupler to tie everything together. Once it is finished I will be able to open the access panel(2 screws) and turn the HWH bypass and hook up my draw tube from the pink gallon jug and turn the pump on pulling pink stuff into my water piping.
If I rambled sorry and I am the worst about punctuation. Always got in trouble for run on sentences..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Ron

Black Tank Flush

The small plastic part under the bathroom sink is a vacume breaker. This is installed so in case the black tank is full and you leave the hose hooked up to the black tank and flush and start flushing then turn off the water, there would be no way to siphon back into your water system and contaminate it. It is mounted up hi under the sink so no siphoneing will occure when not hooked up. It would not be a good idea to remove it or install at a different location. I know when i flush out my tank and first turn the water on, a small amount of water will come out ot the vacumre breaker and follow the pipe down and drip a few drop of water into my basement area, this is normal for the most part. Hope this helps. Happy Campin.......Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
MILBY

I also have the 327 and the vacuum breaker is in the same place. Make sure to winterize the black tank flush line also. I did not think of it on my last one and ruined that vacuum breaker.
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
hankaye

byrdr1, Howdy;

I have the 278RKS (2008 model), Mine comes thru the exterior wall then it was hooked to the "Vacuum" breaker / chelk valve. First time I turned on the water to flush the tank the vacuum /check valve came apart... almost flooded my basement.

As mine is run striaght to the black tank from the vacuum breaker/check valve. I eliminated the fancy valve and in it's place I put in an elbow.

The only time I have water hooked to the 'flush system' is when I need to flush the black tank. I do NOT attempt to multi-task when I am messing with the tanks...too much can go wrong in a hurry and it will if you don't pay attention.

As my attachment point is about 2' higher then the tank when I shut off the water I can hear the water run into the tank. I have a dedicated hose just for that job. attached between the hose bib and the hose I have a backflow preventer. That way I won't infect anyone's water system.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
byrdr1, Howdy;

I have the 278RKS (2008 model), Mine comes thru the exterior wall then it was hooked to the "Vacuum" breaker / chelk valve. First time I turned on the water to flush the tank the vacuum /check valve came apart... almost flooded my basement.

As mine is run striaght to the black tank from the vacuum breaker/check valve. I eliminated the fancy valve and in it's place I put in an elbow.

The only time I have water hooked to the 'flush system' is when I need to flush the black tank. I do NOT attempt to multi-task when I am messing with the tanks...too much can go wrong in a hurry and it will if you don't pay attention.

As my attachment point is about 2' higher then the tank when I shut off the water I can hear the water run into the tank. I have a dedicated hose just for that job. attached between the hose bib and the hose I have a backflow preventer. That way I won't infect anyone's water system.

hankaye
Vaccum break?? thanks you all.. I did not think to winterize this system? BUT I will try sooner than I want too. I too only hook this rinser system up last thing before leaving. I can keep a better eye on things this way. Then clean what I can up with the hoses and store them for the next time around. I also have a green hose pipe that was old that I have cut up, put new ends on it and use as a black tank rinser hose.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
Devildogmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILBY View Post
I also have the 327 and the vacuum breaker is in the same place. Make sure to winterize the black tank flush line also. I did not think of it on my last one and ruined that vacuum breaker.
Okay, so how do you winterize the flush line? Sorry for my stupidity.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
Okay, so how do you winterize the flush line? Sorry for my stupidity.
Blow it out with air. Pick up one of these at CW, Wally World, or elsewhere:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3JVPSDVGGQ73JB

They are also available now with compressed air quick connect fittings, too. You may find them with plastic bodies as well. They all work pretty well.

Connect to the black tank flush port, hook up the air and blow it out. Run no more than 40 PSI into it to be safe. When you are done, leave the cap on the hose connection dangling to allow any remaining water to drip out.

Once you have blown it out, it should be safe for the winter. Because the piping for the black flush is open at the flush end and the connector end, if any remaining small amount water in there freezes, it has plenty of space to expand without damaging your pipes and fittings. The vacuum breaker itself is a high point so once you have blown it out, there should not be any appreciable amount of water in it anyway.

I don't see any need to try to pump pink antifreeze into the black tank flush system if it has been well blown out with air.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
MILBY

I hook up that coiled hose that is used for the outside shower and hook it up to the black tank flush that is right there and when I run the anti freeze for the outside shower it also runs into the black tank flusher and takes care of that also.
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Handysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILBY View Post
I hook up that coiled hose that is used for the outside shower and hook it up to the black tank flush that is right there and when I run the anti freeze for the outside shower it also runs into the black tank flusher and takes care of that also.
Yes, That's the best idea, IMO
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Railcop345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The small plastic part under the bathroom sink is a vacume breaker. This is installed so in case the black tank is full and you leave the hose hooked up to the black tank and flush and start flushing then turn off the water, there would be no way to siphon back into your water system and contaminate it. It is mounted up hi under the sink so no siphoneing will occure when not hooked up. It would not be a good idea to remove it or install at a different location. I know when i flush out my tank and first turn the water on, a small amount of water will come out ot the vacumre breaker and follow the pipe down and drip a few drop of water into my basement area, this is normal for the most part. Hope this helps. Happy Campin.......Ron
You just saved my day! I flushed my black tank prior to winterizing and the next mornig there was a small wet spot under where the black tank line exits the undercarriage. Of course this caused great concern but your comment explains it. THANKS
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote