Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
deanrw

Looking at 297RKS, 323MKS, & 327RES

Okay so after talking about this for a while now, DW and I decided to go “Look” at new 5th wheels now that the kids are older, they don’t want to come along with us, so we are thinking it’s time to upgrade for us. When it’s time to retire, we will be using the new 5th Wheel to travel down south and escape the cold and ugly Canadian winters. So we spent Friday afternoon & all day Saturday looking.

We looked at a lot of trailers those two days, and found 3 that we really did like a lot. All 3 of which are Cougars. The models we like are, 297RKS, 323MKS, & 327RES. We like all 3 and can’t decide which one. This is why I am asking for some feedback from you all at this great forum. Anyone who has these models and could give some advice pros, cons etc., that would be great.
Thanks!
deanrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
byrdr1

OK, my wife and I spent the better part of two years looking at 5ers. We were down to two September last year. Sundance ??? and Cougar 323MKS. finally decided on the eh Cougar 323MKS. same reason as you. Kids out of the picture wanted a MOM&POP version of a 5er. So the decision was made and were on our way to the front desk to put a deposit on the MKS. Just happened to walk by a row of new camper just in on the lot. One of them was the 327RES, walked inside it and both turned to each other and said.........This is it! We went up front and made the deal. got to walk back and spend time in it looking all over it. as we were they came put a sold sign on it. Several other folks were wanting to look inside it. the salesman told them it was ours and it would be up to us whether or not they could look in it. We allowed both couples a quick trip through it. One of them had driven 4 hours just to see the floor plan in person. Funny thing we ran into that same couples this past Easter at the same campground we were at and they had a new 5er from a different dealer. We have enjoyed our 327RES very much this year. We have 27 nights camped in it this year and got 12 last year before closing it up for the winter. so 39 nights in less than one year.
GOT 2 faults in my opinion. 12 foot awning is really small after having a 26 footer on the TT. Water pump is behind a wall in the basement and you have to remove everything and the wall panel to access it. PITB...
one more thing that bit me this weekend. if you have the basement door open on the slide out bedroom side and you close the bedroom slide it will catch the basement door as it slides in and break it. two new rivets later and a broken plastic holder thing later. It is fixed but it was a pain in the rear to hear that metal on metal noise and as soon as I heard it, I knew what had happened. LUCKY it only busted two rivets on the door and the plastic door holder. I will buy a longer one so that the door opens just below the bedroom slide. this wont happen again..I hope!!!!
any other thoughts PM me.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
MILBY

Also have a 327 and we to love it. They have fixed that deal with the basement door catching on the bed slide in the 2012 models it does not do it now. Friends have the 326 it does have the bigger bath and kitchen but the living room layout is not to our likeing. We like our layout and the living area in the 327 is great. Yes the awning is to short but the 326 has the same one.
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
deanrw

Thanks for the reply guys. Makes it easier when hearing from those who own the units about what they like and dont like. We went looking again tonight after work, and we really do like the 327RES. Its a great looking unit and really liking the floor plan. Also, looked at another non keystone unit, Blue Ridge by Forest River. Liked that one too. Looked at so many over the weekend and today, but am really seriously thinking about the 327RES now. Just not sure on the dealer. The one we looked at was sold, so they'd have to order one in, but wanted me to pay over half for them to order it in. There reasoning, because I am paying cash, where as financing they dont have to worry as much of someone not taking the unit. Like that will happen, I'm not going to pay for it before it even gets here then I have no recourse if somethings wrong etc and besides its just stupid... They are also way too push! How they stay in buissenss is beyond me. We bought our current Cougar there and didnt think we'd go back after that one, and now its given me more reason to drive else where if thats the one we choose.

I am now also thinking I will need to get a new truck too. Right now I have 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas. But off the top of my head I cant remember the towing cabilities of the truck. (It may be that I spent too much time looking at more trailers.) Thanks for all the help.

What are you pulling your 327TRES with and how well does it tow?
Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
66ken

We also own a 327 and really like it. The awning is the one thing that should be changed. Pull with 2500HD Duramax, it has no problems pulling it.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
mikell

Might try these guys

http://www.holmanrv.com/types/fifth-wheels.aspx
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
MILBY

I was pulling my 327 with a Dodge 2500 gasser, it would pull it but I know I was going to kill the trany, it would down shift at every overpass. I knew we were at the limit of weight so I bought a used Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 cummins and it is no problems now. I can ride at 60 or so and only turn 1700rpms and get 12 mpg.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Outbackmel

Dodge 2500

Excellent upgrade. My 2008 has a slightly larger engine, however, I often need to look in the mirror to even know I am towing something. Ours is a 36ft Outback 5er.

Welcome to your new experience. Happy trails!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
byrdr1

my truck is a f-350 cc 7.3psd srw. I pull around 65mph all the time on the highway...10.5mpg average. Glad to hear they fixed the basement door problem. What did they do?

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Handysam

Another vote for the 327 here. Pull it with the 2500 dodge cummins. We love ours, and we looked for a little over a year. A couple of selling points for us was the separate bathroom door from the bedroom, keeping the bedroom more private from guests who may stay and use the bathroom in the night. More open feeling in the main living space, great outside storage, bike rack, great buy for the money. Down side is the awning, that $@!&$# awning. Its just not long enough and its hard to reach to adjust the pitch without a ladder. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
captbru

You shouldn't have any problems. Keystone web site shows the 2012 with a hitch wgt 1545lbs. Take a look at the plate on the post inside drivers side door and see what the cargo cap is. The hitch wgt is part of the cargo cap then add anything else your going to carry in the truck including hitch, fuel etc
Enjoy your new unit, which ever one you chose.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Lack of HP

I would agree on the 327res. I enjoy mine and have pulled it over 15,000 miles this summer. Very few major problems. Did add the extra bedroom air. Would agree on the awning issue. Needs some improvement. Had some shower leaks, was taken care of by CW. I pull this with a Dodge 2500 Diesel. No problems. Great pull.
Good luck on your choice, I am glad I picked mine. Good luck and happy campin.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
deanrw

Thanks everyone for the replies. If we go with the 327RES, it looks like it weights the same as our trailer does now so if thats the case, the truck should pull it good. I will probably buy a new truck in the not so near future though anyway. I have just a couple more questions for you 327 owners.

1) How well does the heat get to the bedroom and the bathroom in this model? I know our current one, there isnt much heat upstairs

2) Do any of you have a fireplace and is it a good idea to have one? The model they had at our local dealer ship (we will go out of town to buy it) didnt have a fire place in the 327, infact didnt know you could get one in that model, but I seen some online that have a fireplace.

3) The Bedroom has a pull out shelf for a tv, how well does this work and how big of a tv up there? It seems its just an weird Idea.

4) The pull out bike rack, would it support a 3000 Yamaha Generator? I never used the one on our current trailer, just put it in the back of the truck, but it is getting harder to lift up.

5) Now the current mattress we have really was no good, have they improved them at all from 07? What about the chairs are they comforatable?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate all the feedback from all of you. Makes it so much easier, and better than listening to any dealer. One thing is the awning is short. But the layout is really nice so that makes up for it

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
MILBY

On mine the heat in the bedroom is fine( we have only used it down to about freezeing nothing real cold) shelf in the bedroom we just have a 19 inch flat screen that we laydown when we travel. Matress is great and I am a big guy. Bike rack don't know havent used it. And fireplace don't have one. And for the other question someone asked about how they fixed the basement door under the bed slide they put on a longer catch ( the type they use for the main door to hold it open) It lets the door miss the slide by just enough. Mt friend owns a 2011 326 and ripped his catch off that same place because of the other catch they were useing, we are putting the other type on this weekend when we are out.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Handysam

Dean, our heat works good in both bedroom and bath, although I prefer it to be a little cold while sleeping anyway. The bike rack is able to hold 200#'s. Fireplace don't have, though I have thought about adding one for ambience, and the mattress was good at the beginning, but after about 60 or so nights in it this year, its starting to get a shape of its own and we are not that big of people, I'm only 200#'s. Wait....... maybe thats why my DW wanted the bike rack?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #16
mikell

We have the fireplace in our Alpine and it's quite nice and puts out a lot of heat. if you will be camping when it cool it's nice because it's quiet. We have the heat pump that works great but is quite loud.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrw View Post
1) How well does the heat get to the bedroom and the bathroom in this model? I know our current one, there isnt much heat upstairs.
We have used it sparingly. I take ceramic heaters and run the main fan on low for a recycling effect. We have used one last thanksgiving in the living room with the fan running on low it was warm to me but I do like a cooler sleep. IF I felt I was cold I would run a ceramic up the stairs.

2) Do any of you have a fireplace and is it a good idea to have one? The model they had at our local dealer ship (we will go out of town to buy it) didnt have a fire place in the 327, infact didnt know you could get one in that model, but I seen some online that have a fireplace.
Dont have one but I have seen units with it installed basically a heater with a fan and some flames made from what ever. Kinda cool if you like that look.

3) The Bedroom has a pull out shelf for a tv, how well does this work and how big of a tv up there? It seems its just an weird Idea.
I have 13-15 inch flat screen and I have a little piece of rubber bumper thing that I put under it to get that right angle to view from the bed. Most times I set the auto cutoff for an hour and I never see it go off. My wife sleeps on that side of the bed(closet side) because the side closest to the bathroom is tall and she cant touch the floor to get off bed. BUT she has never bumped it in the night that I know of. We also lay the TV down with one of those shelf anti slide rubber thigns.

4) The pull out bike rack, would it support a 3000 Yamaha Generator? I never used the one on our current trailer, just put it in the back of the truck, but it is getting harder to lift up.
My old TT was a cougar and had one of the slide out racks. I added two grade 8 bolt and nuts to each side to it at the very top because the weld is kinda Cheap. BUT I have carried my generator to NA$CAR races, firewood to mountians, grill and bikes with a 10X20 carport tent to teh beach at Thanksgiving. never had a problem.

5) Now the current mattress we have really was no good, have they improved them at all from 07? What about the chairs are they comforatable?
I bought a queen size pillow top for the TT, transfered it to our new 5er. Sleeps well and its a taller mattress than factory and it has held up for over 2 years now and I am a big guy.

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate all the feedback from all of you. Makes it so much easier, and better than listening to any dealer. One thing is the awning is short.(YES IT IS) But the layout is really nice so that makes up for it.
Questions is how we find info we really need to address our concerns. Keep them coming.
Also I did go by camper store and order me a new 8inch long door keeper thing for the basement door on the bedroom slide side. Had to get something after breaking it this past weekend. Glad to hear they fixed that problem. Have they done anything about water pump behind the wall in the center of the camper? I will be working on that solution before it gets to cold around here and I have to winterize.

Deanrw make sure you ask them where it is that you winterize(waterpump) and see how they handle that one. I forgot on the PDI and it was trial and error. I dont think you really want to dump several gallons of antifreeze into the fresh water tank and do it that way. BUT I know lots who do.

Thanks again for all the help.
NO Problem...
I am a happy 327RES owner. Make that WE are!
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
Handysam

Maybe Dean should hook up with Smitty. He's selling a 2011 327RES.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
Lack of HP

My bedroom heat works great. Mattress also work great for me as I am 6'5" and 280lbs. (diet would help). Use a 19 inch flat screen and lay it down during travel. Have not used the back bumper slideout so I can not help you there. No fire place but looking. Good luck on your choice.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
msp2jxr

We liked the 327 also but ended up with the 326 for two reasons. The entry on the 326 was more open and inviting to us when you walk in the door. The bathroom slide gave the bathroom extra storage and we felt it was more user friendly for extended stays. When you consider the 326 was few pounds less and a few inches shorter it became a no brained for us. The down side was the extra cost.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote