Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
michaelt

Tow Vehicle

Does anyone tow a High Country 291RLS with a half ton pick up ? The unit weighs 7,000 lbs. I have a GMC Sierra 5.3 V8 3.42 rear end that is listed to tow 9600 lbs. Any advice would be appreciated.
michaelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

Cool Tow truck

Hi there is that the empty weight of the trailer? If it is you will load it up pretty fast esp if your married. Just ask my wife. So you will get close to the max of your truck. The 3.42 rear should be ok till you hit the big hills. If you have an automatic transmission, i would invest in and auxillary transmission cooler. Hayes makes a good one. Have fun and be safe barney
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If you look in the "Odds 'n Ends" section of this forum and click on the thread "Moderators Need Your Input" (07-15-2011), you will find numerous posts about tow vehicles. I would suggest that you browse through all of the posts there as they contain some excellent advice and suggestions regarding tow vehicles.
You should know your TV's tow ratings and other necessary figures (check your sticker and your owner's manual) as well as the GVWR of your TT.
You might want to refer to Trailer Life's guidelines as well as go to GMC truck website for the year, model and other specs of your truck.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Michiglenn

I tow a 299RKS High Country with a 2005 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4x4 with 5.3, 3.42 gears and tow package. It is safely within the rating from GMC. Hills and take-off are where you will see the effect of weight. The new 6 speeds would help, diesel would be the best. I don't tow that much, the truck does mostly back and forth to work, so the compromise is okay for me. I shopped for the lightest, best fifth wheel available within the truck rating, I am satisfied.
Michiglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
randyvolk

The trailer your looking at has a empty weight of 7000 lbs & it can be loaded to 9000 lbs. From what I have read on the forums is that a empty trailer weights more than what the manufacture says.

Checking the GMC website shows 1/2 ton truck capable of towing a TT up to 9600 lbs, it does not show any weights for 5th wheels.

Keystone shows a hitch weight of 1155 lbs which to me looks like hitch weight for a unloaded trailer. A loaded trailer will be closer to 1800 lbs.

GMC says 1/2 ton truck has a Max Payload of 1666 lbs so the 1800 lbs puts you overweight. This is before you, your family and what ever else you want to carry in the truck. Also the max combined weight of truck & 5th wheel is 15,000 lbs, your truck & trailer loaded to capacity will weight in at 15,800 lbs figuring your truck is loaded to the 1666 payload & trailer is loaded to 9000 lbs.

My 2 cents: look for smaller 5th wheel or travel trailer or get a 3/4 ton truck.
randyvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
jramsey

I also tow a 299 RKS, the weight is very close to the RLS that you are looking at. I tow with a 2010 2500 HD 6.0 V8 with 3.73 rear axle. I feel that the combination is almost perfect (would love more power going up hills, but that would mean a diesel and about 7K more $). I would be more concerned about stopping and maneuvering in an emergency. If your vehicle is at it's max rating stopping and emergency avoidance may be a challenge.

Fir Na Tine
Ora et labora
2011 Cougar high country 299 RKS
2014 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 L Duramax
jramsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high country 291rls