Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Dfitch

Factory radio

We have a 2015 cougar. It came with a linear series radio. The outside speakers dont work right away. Seems like the radio has to warm up for about an hour first. Took it back to the dealer an they replaced it but we still have the same issue with this radio as well. I'm thinking about replacing it myself with a jensen. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks Denis
Dfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
canesfan

I don't have any experience with that radio, but in my last rig I had a Jensen and it was junk. It would fade out when you walked up to it and fade back in when you moved away. They sent me a new one and it was worse than the original, I sent the new one back and kept the original. Talked to them on the phone, very nice guys, but in the end no help. I wasn't very overjoyed with the product at all and would not recommend one IMHO.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Dfitch

Thanks. I guess that's why I dont want to waste my time going back to the dealer. Last time I got a sucks to be you reply. I'd rather just fix it myself. But before I spend the money, I want to make sure it's the radio.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Radio fading in and out sounds like another cost reduction for the 2014 Raptor year, roof top radio antenna replaced by a 3-4 foot wire hanging off the back of the radio. Walking near radio/wire antenna changes reception. Good therapy while listening to radio

As far as speakers some rigs have switches as well as fader/balance controls to direct sound to different areas of the RV. May want to check condition of that switch as well as connections on the switch if applicable.
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
canesfan

PAR, radio fading in and out was in the last rig, and it had an outdoor antenna. Raptor has a nice head unit and rooftop antenna. No therapy needed, although it would be good therapy to be camping, if it wasn't so hot and crowded this weekend.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Canesfan, glad to hear you did not loose roof top radio antenna to pay for that folding ladder Getting my therapy out at a campsite and yes place is booked for the Holiday. This place is out there not sure sun knows where it is. Have a Happy 4th
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
canesfan

PaR, I still have a folding TV antenna, too. I don't think the radio antenna folds, but it does bend. Have fun camping. I'm going out to the mini fridge in the back of the Raptor and get some therapy right now. Happy 4th!
Old 07-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
Dfitch

I have 6 factory speakers. The 4 inside work fine. Fade balance etc.... checked all connections, their good. I think it's the radio.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
canesfan

Are the speaker connections easy to change? If 4 out 6 work fine I'd try swapping them out just to narrow it down. I'd place bets on the radio though.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #10
Dfitch

Good idea! I'll check that next. Thanks. Is their a way to contact keystone directly or do I have to go through a dealer.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #11
canesfan

You're welcome.

You "can" contact KS directly, but you generally have to go through a dealer, and to GET anything from KS you DO have to go through a dealer. If I were you though and going to replace the radio, I'd go to Crutchfield or a reputable mobile sound supplier and get a "good" automotive radio.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
Dfitch

I've bought many things from crutchfield. Your probably right as the customer through the KS dealer service is lacking.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #13
Charby

My radio in 2014 Bullet Premier does not always turn up when turning the dial, as the numbers will show lower, and finally increase. Is this something that cane be fixed, or live with it?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Other than a wiring issue (loose connection or miswired speaker pairs, etc) I don' t think any of the current radios in Keystone products are repairable. They just pull the old one and install another unit. In today's "disposable society" it seems more and more items are "throw away when they don't work"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio