Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #1
gary31

Carbon 31 load in garage

Just wanted to see what the group hauls in their Garages. I ask because I am struggling with the weight distribution in the garage area. I have 2 quads weighting about 1500lbs combined. The last trip was a white knuckler, and I do not want to experience that again. It was better with a full load of water but not pleasant. I have purchased another shank to allow my tongue to drop another few inches and I am hoping that will make a difference. I plan on loading some extra weight in the nose to help with the nose. The question is, is it better to load up front or just in front of the axle? Any advise will be appreciated. I do have WDH and sway control.
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Carbon 31 load in garage

Several years ago (four or five) there was a discussion on the forum about weight distribution on conventional trailer toyhaulers. It centered around the tongue weight being much too light when a heavy load (but within the weight limit) being loaded. One owner had to install an additional water tank under the bed and one resorted to (or was considering) adding sand bags as ballast.

I haven't heard of those kinds of problems since then, so I'd think the manufacturers have resolved that kind of problem. Possibly they haven't and you're problem is similar.

If you do a forum search for "sand bags" or similar phrases you'll find more information. Here is one "old thread" : http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=sand (There's some good information in post #5 of that thread)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #3
gary31

Re: Carbon 31 load in garage

That helps Thanks!!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
gary31

Well I seems the new shank was the correct move. It dropped the tongue about 3" and allowed the weight to be more front heavy. I did travel with more water in the gray tank as a precaution to make sure I had prenty of tongue weight and I am sure that helped as well. 500 miles later I can say I think I have a workable solution, thanks for the insights, I never thought about the grey tanks as ballast and then dump once we arrived.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's great that you found some answers to your problem. Many people use the tanks, both fresh water and waste holding tanks, as ballast when travelling. If you do fill your gray tank to offset the toys in your garage, just don't forget and download the toys without draining the tanks. That could lead to excessive tongue weight and cause a "whole different set of problems"

Happy trailering !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote