Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
DiverB

1600 mile shake down trip

So I have had my Carbon 357 for almost a month now and have only slept in it once while it was sitting next to my house. I planned on taking a weekend trip about 100 miles away just to use it and check it all out, but my job has requested me to go to New Mexico for 60 days.

I just ordered an Air Ride pin box and will install it prior to leaving, I'm just wondering if I should take the stock tires off and upgrade to better ones. It will be fun actually using the trailer for 60 days while I'm working.

Any thoughts on leaving the stock tires on or changing them given its August and the pavement and temps are going to be warm
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:27 AM   #2
cw3jason

If your financially able, upgrade the tires. If not keep them aired up to spec. and stay below 65 MPH. Do not exceed the weight or speed rating for the tires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
KanTC

DiverB,

Chances are you're going to get mixed replies... probably 50% in favor of [changing tires], and 50% against.
I say, if cost isn't an issue, and it makes you feel more "at ease" for your first long trip then change them.

Personally, we've never changed stock tires on any of our "brand new" RV's, and haven't had any issues -but- DH
is dilligent about tire care, tire pressures, speed limit & we check tire temps at every fuel/pit stop, etc.
cw3jason offered good advice, and I'll also suggest using "tire covers" while parked in our NM sun for 60 days.

Enjoy the journey & your time in NM.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Again, your money, your peace of mind. I've transported new RVs across NM, AZ, NV, CA in triple digits and haven't had a single tire issue (hope I didn't just jinx myself). Talking to other transporters I've learned that they used to get flats/blow outs on brand new trailers on a pretty regular basis, now they are rare. Many say they haven't had a problem in over 3 years. I personally ran my OE tires for over a year before upgrading.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #5
dcg9381

On tires, I'd say get it weighed and then see how close to gross you are.
Understand that the tires won't divide the load perfectly, so try to have it weighed on front and rear axles, but it's pretty easy to get over 90% of load rating on a single tire.

Then see what % of tire rating that you're at... If it's a reasonable %, I'd consider leaving it alone... But if you're up on the top end, I'd replace them. I replaced mine.

Other advice for shake down:
Secure your cabinet doors with bungee (closed). Eventually you'll figure out which doors are being held closed properly, but we did some cabinet damage due to doors coming open while traveling and then essentially tearing themselves out of the hinge...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
DiverB

I've always been good at keeping the tire pressure right where it it's suppose to be on all my vehicles, and I have an air compressor in the coach. I will most likely upgrade to better tires since these stock tires are only rated for 65mph. I prefer to tow at 72mph and most of the states I will be traveling in are 70-75mph states. My other trailer I had to bungee all the cabinets and drawers because they loved to work their way open.

I'm changing the pin box tomorrow. I went with the Trail Air Air Ride, got a great deal with free shipping from Amazon of all places, nearly $200 cheaper than etrailer.com
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote