Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Zapper

Caulking top of shower

Preparing to leave for a month in Fort Morgan, AL, in our new Fuzion. Doing checks and rechecks on different on parts and pieces, just trying to learn the camper.
My question: today I noticed the top of the shower insert, where it meets the wallboard isn't caulked. I don't see how water cannot eventually get up there. I'm going to caulk, although it won't be easy because of the depth of the insert itself, especially in the corners. Is this normally a caulked area? Has anyone else noticed this, or is there a reason to not caulk that I'm missing?

2015 3500HD DRW LTZ Durmax/Allison
2015 Fuzion 325 Onyx with Monster Pack
Reese 20K slider
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
leonandlisa

Mine shower walls were not caulked to the wall board either, but when I shower it does get wet above the shower walls so I caulked the shower walls to the wall board. I am curious what others say but I still think it should be sealed.

Leon
leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If you seal the top edges of the surround, I would use a clear silicone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Zapper

Thanks Chuckster57 will do.

2015 3500HD DRW LTZ Durmax/Allison
2015 Fuzion 325 Onyx with Monster Pack
Reese 20K slider
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
ftrupe

After reading this post, I just checked the shower on my new 2015 Passport 23RB. The bottom of my shower is only caulked along the glass enclosure, not along the 2 pieces against the walls. Is that supposed to be that way? Perhaps so it can move a bit as the trailer moves? I'm sure there is a lip on the pan that is covered, so there should be no problem with water. Just wondering if I should caulk it. Any advice?
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrupe View Post
After reading this post, I just checked the shower on my new 2015 Passport 23RB. The bottom of my shower is only caulked along the glass enclosure, not along the 2 pieces against the walls. Is that supposed to be that way? Perhaps so it can move a bit as the trailer moves? I'm sure there is a lip on the pan that is covered, so there should be no problem with water. Just wondering if I should caulk it. Any advice?

Perfectly normal for the walls not to be sealed at the bottom. The "pan" comes up behind the wall enough to keep water out of the trailer wall.

You could use a silicon sealant if you wanted, but it has to be DRY before you do because you don't want any trapped moisture.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
ftrupe

Thanks Chuckster57. I think I'll just leave it as is.
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote