Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
pmcmath

Black Water tanks

Anybody having issues with the measuring devices in a 371? I use my break down chemicals like everyone else but my gauges are reading full way before they are. Not sure what is going on here but anyone had a similar issue? Camped for the third time this past weekend since we purchased it new in Sept 2014.
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

RV tanks are HOLDING tanks. The waste is not in them long enough for anything to break down. RV chemicals just help with oder if that. Thoroughly cleaning them after dumping can help but the sensors used are not very reliable at best. There are better sensors available but they are very expensive and still require cleaning to work correctly. I realize that this is not a solution, just an explanation. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
therink

Yes, the gauges in black tanks are useless and only read empty when the tank is empty and completely flushed. Once you do the first couple deeds, the gauge will read higher than what is in the tank.
The trick is to know your tank capacities by how much you have used them, this comes in time. Next, when you empty make sure you flush them good. Next, never let a black tank run dry, even between uses. I always add about 5 gallons on water after dumping and flushing. This keeps things from drying and sticking to the tank interior walls, gauges, etc.
I use arm and hammer washing soda and dawn to keep odors and pH neutralized. These don't cost much, work well and aren't bad for the environment. Plus they don't have the chemical smell.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
mamawildbear

I'm having trouble as well. I have a brand new Springdale 260LE and my black tank is reading full at all times. We had sewer hookups at the last campout so we filled the tank all they way up and then drained it. The tank then read empty and we thought, "Yay, we fixed it" and figured something must have been stuck on a sensor. However, we drove the trailer empty to the next campground and then saw it read full again. It hasn't budged from there since, even though we filled it up and emptied it one more time. We plan on taking it to the dealer as it is still under warranty but from what I've seen from the last couple of posts, we can expect this to be a regular point of failure?

The good thing is, after filling the tank all they way up, we realize, we will NEVER fill the tank all the way up. I stood on that flusher for a good 20 minutes, must have been 100 flushes or more. Good to know we can pee in it all we like and not have to worry about dumping mid campout.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawildbear View Post
I'm having trouble as well. I have a brand new Springdale 260LE and my black tank is reading full at all times. We had sewer hookups at the last campout so we filled the tank all they way up and then drained it. The tank then read empty and we thought, "Yay, we fixed it" and figured something must have been stuck on a sensor. However, we drove the trailer empty to the next campground and then saw it read full again. It hasn't budged from there since, even though we filled it up and emptied it one more time. We plan on taking it to the dealer as it is still under warranty but from what I've seen from the last couple of posts, we can expect this to be a regular point of failure?

When you empty your black tank, do you use the black tank flusher to clean it out? (Assuming you have a "flusher")

After emptying, do you close off the valves and pour in 4-5 gallons of water back into the tank so that you always have some "clean" water in the tank? It isn't wise to leave your tank empty as it will dry out and any "crud" that is left in the tank will solidify and will be hard to get off.

I think you would be very optimistic if you are counting on your sensors to work properly and to give you accurate readings - especially on the black and gray tanks. In all the years of RVing, I've never had accurate readings on these two tanks - and I think I am doing "all the right things".
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
bato3500

A few times a year I pour a cup of dishwasher liquid, 5 gallons of water and 20 lbs of ice into the tank before leaving on a trip. The motion of water while traveling mixes everything and the scrub away the crud. Seems to help.
bato3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
GaryWT

As others have said, it is not worth the time, you will learn over time when you need to dump. We know a weekend is a no brainer and I actually add water before dumping and generally a 3 day weekend is not a problem either. When we go a week, I think we get about 4 days but I hate dumping on a Saturday when I know we are leaving Sunday because we need to add lots of water then.

If you get the sensors clean they will be blocked again in a trip or two.

We had a park model on a seasonal for 11 years and it did not come with a sensor so we knew in time when to dump. If the toilet is burbing at you when you flush then it is full.

We use chemicals and lots of water and have not had issues. We use our tank flush a couple times a year.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
pmcmath

Thanks. The grey water side works well and let's us know when full. Again thanks for the help....was wondering if we were flushing a lot of water down the hatch lol.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #9
mamawildbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
When you empty your black tank, do you use the black tank flusher to clean it out? (Assuming you have a "flusher")

After emptying, do you close off the valves and pour in 4-5 gallons of water back into the tank so that you always have some "clean" water in the tank? It isn't wise to leave your tank empty as it will dry out and any "crud" that is left in the tank will solidify and will be hard to get off.
We don't have a flusher. I'm thinking of getting one of those spinning spray wands you stick down the toilet. We have not put fresh water back in (except as a 2nd rinse). We drain before driving away. I guess that's something to try, didn't think about that. I'm going to try the water softener trick on our next trip.
Spud - 14 year old son
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
We don't have a flusher..
Mmmmmm - I'm surprised that a unit as new as yours does not have one. I thought a black tank flusher was pretty much a standard feature on every recently-built RV.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
tirnanah

Check the opposing side of your trailer and see if you have another hook up for a flusher. Mine is on the opposite side of everything else for some dumb reason...

I use calgon + fabric softener + lots of water (I usually add at least 5 gallons back to it). I had one sensor get covered with something, and did nothing more then add a few more gallons water, drove it around and dumped and it cleared whatever was on the sensor and showed empty. Alaskan roads help with this since they are definitely not smooth...
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
pmcmath

I hook up my tank flusher and run the water in there until i see it is clear or somewhat clear. I have a 90 that has clear PVC which helps to assure that tanks are empty. How long do you generally flush the black water tank or to what standard?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
mamawildbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Mmmmmm - I'm surprised that a unit as new as yours does not have one. I thought a black tank flusher was pretty much a standard feature on every recently-built RV.
Well, they didn't tell us about one on our tour of the trailer, which was pretty thorough. The trailer's actually right outside my house right now as we're getting ready for a trip so I'll take a better look in the daylight to be sure but I think I would have noticed an extra water inlet port.

I checked the Keystone manual and it lists the "No Fuss Flush" kit as an optional add on so maybe we don't have it. It's a shame but we didn't know enough about trailers to look for that sort of thing as we've always had a cassette toilet before.
Spud - 14 year old son
Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Tank rinsers can be added, and using the right "kit" can look as good as factory. I've installed many on customers units.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Well, they didn't tell us about one on our tour of the trailer, which was pretty thorough. The trailer's actually right outside my house right now as we're getting ready for a trip so I'll take a better look in the daylight to be sure but I think I would have noticed an extra water inlet port.

I checked the Keystone manual and it lists the "No Fuss Flush" kit as an optional add on so maybe we don't have it. It's a shame but we didn't know enough about trailers to look for that sort of thing as we've always had a cassette toilet before.
If you have a "West Coast" model the tank flush should be standard as per Keystone website:

Skylight Over Tub/Shower
Forced Air DSI Furnace w/Thermostat
6 Gal. Gas/Electric DSI Water Heater
55 amp Converter
Jack Knife Sofa Bed ( Non SSR Floorplans)
Tri-Fold Sleeper Sofa (SSR Models)
Jacknife Sofa Bed (N/A 179, 202, 212, 258)
RG6 Cable and Satellite Wiring
Fully Strutted Storage Under Master Bed
Reversible Dinette Cushions

Water Heater Bypass
Porcelain Foot Flush Toilet
Adjustable Power Awning w/LED Lights
XL Entry Assist Handle
Outside TV Hookup (N/A 225)
Black Tank Flush
Large Medicine Cabinet
Monitor Panel
Flex Pex Tubing with 10 Year Warranty

The manual you refer to covers many models and is not updated every year.
JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #16
mamawildbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you have a "West Coast" model the tank flush should be standard as per Keystone website
Unfortunately I have the East Cost model and I don't see tank flush listed anywhere there in the specs. That's quite a shame. I was going to get the toilet wand but the thought of dragging a hose through the camper and then a hose and dirty wand that's been down the toilet back out, does not sound very attractive.

Now I'm thinking about a permanent system such as Camco Tornado, Camco Quickie Flush, or Valterra No Fuss Flush, although I'm terrified of drilling a hole in my black tank. Does anyone have experience with those? Suggestions?
Spud - 14 year old son