Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Alching

Bumper hitch

Can anyone tell me how much weight the bumper on my 2013 Montana High Country can safely carry. I want to install an add on hitch to carry my bike rack or a basket. Is there any recommendations?
Alching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Poppy's 5th Wheel

My buddy is about 2,000 miles from home on a cross country trip and he just wrote me that he finally did exactly that on exactly the same trailer. He left with the bikes hanging on the ladder, which I had strongly recommended against, and he was tired of getting them on and off and he could see them swaying and bouncing around so he went to Camping World and picked up a bolt on receiver and bike rack and mounted it. So far so good he says. It should be fine. My welded on bumper has held the spare tire for many thousands of miles without falling off so I guess it would work fine with bikes hanging on it. In my case I would have to relocate the spare but you guys don't have your spare there. I say go for it.

Here's a picture he literally just sent. Unfortunately you can't really see the hitch but you get the idea.

2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
alien_scones

You might find this post helpful:

Cougar 26SAB BUMPER FAILURE
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
3P'sInACougar

To haul bikes or
A tool box on back bumper one should mount a hitch that is braced to the frame an tied in to the frame like you were going to tow a trailer behind you. That way it is not only supported by the bumper but the frame as well. Just my 2 cts. I will only own fifth wheels an I always look for ones with hitches on them that are tied to the frame so I know they will support what I want to haul back there. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Robby9

My brother in law pulled the bumper off his crossroads travel trailer doing the exact same thing.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Alching

Bumper Strength

Thanks for all the advice, I will probably have a hitch professionally installed so I don't have to worry.
Alching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Trent McCain

I'd advise fabricating a hitch as well. We have a 2008 Copper Canyon, and installed a hitch on the rear bumper to pull our 17ft boat. It's fairly light with minimal tounge weight. I carefully inspect the bumper before and after each trip and haven't had an issue, but have only made acouple short trips to the local lake. After seeing the numerous posts about failing rear bumpers, I won't tow with it again untill we have a "real" hitch fabricated by our welding shop. I don't want to take a chance.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper strength