Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
mountainlivin

Angry So Far, not so good...

Took delivery of our 2014 327RES. Were really excited.. So far, first weekend to use., Have had to reset Cougar control panel twice. Opened the awning this morning, couldn't get it to retract. Motor on the end of the roller just clicks.
Finally got it to close manually with help from 3 other guys. Wife ain't happy, so I ain't happy. It is going to be a long drive home....
Dealer will certainly be getting a call in the morning..
mountainlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
raytronx

There is a recall going on for some models of Dometic awnings

http://rv-pro.com/news/dometic-provi...-awning-recall

They are used in most brands, not sure if your unit is affected but worth checking out.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
nano

They are also having problems with some of their control panels. I know this because we have to bring our 333mks in to get it replaced. I think it's b.s. that we have to drive 100 miles, one way, to get it fixed.
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
GaryWT

Good luck getting it all fixed, remember sugar will get you further. Our last trailer we had 8 items after our first trip, dropped off the trailer, all was fixed and all was good. Most likely once these things are fixed, all will be good for a long time.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlivin View Post
Opened the awning this morning, couldn't get it to retract. Motor on the end of the roller just clicks.
Does the awning work properly using the remote control? If so, it's likely just a loose connection on the rocker switch on the control panel. Simply unplug the plug on the back of the switch and plug it back in again.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
concours

Our 1st and 2nd trips proved to be very disappointing with the deficiency list getting longer and longer, work with your dealer and I'm sure it will all work out ours did but the process takes a while as Keystone always makes the dealer wait for pre approval on most repairs then after approval the parts have to be shipped. It all adds up to several trips to the dealer and much frustration that's one of the benefits of buying local, Good luck
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
mountainlivin

Have been talking to dealer this morning. The awning doesn't work with remote or touch pad.. Just clicks when you try to close. I was able to roll back up by hand without removing the two screws as described in destruction manual, which probably means the motor gears or where the awning is attached to the motor is toast.... I am sure it will all work out, but it sure interfered with my cold beverage time.... I didn't buy local, but there is a Dometic service center near where the fiver is set up, so I am hoping they will make the trip to service on site. I will deal with the touch pad later. Maybe they will send a new one and I will replace it myself, as they know they do have problems with the pad.. Still a lot of summer left to enjoy. No reason to flip out on em (yet). They are a good dealer and I am sure they will take care of me.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
mountainlivin

Checking out warranty/problems forum and found another reference to Dometic awning recall. That link actually listed serial numbers affected and it looks like mine is in that range. Good to know I hope, it did mention motor failure was the original problem, and then your awning could just drop on its own. Can't really get mad at Keystone on items like the awning or even the control panel as both are made by outside vendors and then installed by Keystone. So I am again sure I will get both issues resolved and go on with happy camping this summer with no more beverage interruptions. Thanks for all the help from everyone.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
concours

It will all be good in the end and if it's not good now then it's not the end LOL
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
LZScout

I was at the dealers, talking to the salesperson and the owner, ready to take delivery on my 2013 Alpine 3250RL, when the service manager approached us all and informed us that my unit was involved in the awning recall mentioned above. Not wanting to see my awning sail away in my side mirror, I thought it best to let them keep it a while longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
theeyres

Unfortunately, I don't think any RV manufacturer does any kind of check when a rig leaves the plant. They just slap them together and hope for the best. So it is left to us consumers to try the things out, find the problems, take them back to the dealer and get them fixed. There's no excuse for it, but at this time, that's the way it is.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
mountainlivin

Finally found out our awning is on the recall list from dometic, and they will send someone to replace. However, the vin numbers on keystones website didn't include our 2014 cougar. Suggest that if you are concerned, contact dometic with awning model and serial. Now to deal with the control panel and life will be good.