Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
fendix

Mishaps on my maiden voyage:

Took my new Keystone(Laredo 324RL) on its maiden voyage to a local campground this past weekend, just to test out the features and make sure everything is working correctly.. Everything worked fine by the way however there were 2 interesting events.

1. When I backed into my campground and started to unhitch, I couldn’t for the life of me pull the release handle. I tried for a full hour trying every conceivable trick know to man. My DW made the unbelievable suggestion of asking for help from other 5th wheel owners in the campground. How dare she suggest such a thing? I’ll figure this thing out if it takes me the whole weekend. She then suggested that I read the manual hitch. I read it months before, but I did it again. I read for 30 seconds, put down the manual, got in my truck and gently put it in reverse for one second. I got out and could have pulled the release handle out with my pinky, it was so easy. I won’t forget this incident any time soon.

2. At the end of the weekend, I went to dump the tanks for the first time… I checked the sewer vent handles(there were all closed), I opened the sewer cap to attach the hose and all the liquid poured out on me all over the campground. I know what you are thinking.. however luckily the liquid was all pink. Whoever winterized the camper at the dealership must have left the sewer vent open and the cap one when they winterized. The seal was so tight, there was no leaking through the sewer cap.. I know because I was under the camper many times before and there was nothing leaking. Anyway, two more memories to chuckle about when I get to my golden years.
fendix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
therink

Both experiences you described sound quite familiar. Both mistakes I only had to make once. Sounds like tthe first trip went well. Who reads instructions or asked for help anyway? Lol

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Dhuhn

I think we all have had experiences like you, your not the first nor will you be the last, you just have to make sure you learn from it, and dont be afraid to ask for help. Glad everything else went good for you, enjoy your new rig.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
byrdr1

At least it was pink stuff.. I have the same issue every spring because I do run the pink stuff into the black tank by way of toilet and I open the dump value ever so slightly so that some pink RV antifreeze is resting against the main cap then close it up for the winter. Just figure this will not hurt anything. Not a lot mind you, just a little.
I also figured out the same thing on the hitch its in a tight bind and needs the pressure released, sometimes you have pull forward and sometimes back up or both?
have fun,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
DJ85

All I can say is been there did that!!! Thank God I ain't the only one. You just joined the group welcome my friend! Just what was your wife thinking what an embrassing moment how dare her ask someone for help. Next she will be asking for directions!!!!

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
chris199

Hey...not too bad in the grand scheme of things but frustrating nonetheless.

Hey at least it wasn't something they could put in an RV movie for Robin Williams to do....and for us to laugh at!

Chris

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
K&C L

You are obviously not alone and I for another stand with you on both counts. We too took our new 5th wheel (Keystone Montana HC 343RL) on its maiden voyage last week for the same purpose.

Not everything checked out but all the important things did. On the release handle an 1/8 of an inch forward or back often makes a world of difference. This we learned the hard way after much trial, error, advice and oodles of frustration.

The grey/black water discharge cover is always a joy to remove isn't it. We've yet to figure out how to convince our dealer that a little trickle adds up to lots of liquid over time. Fully in, one or more of the three gates are not closing correctly. Save it to say what pours out on me is significantly less than pink so I envy you!

But the bottom line is... enjoy it all. We did and here is hoping you and your very insightful wife did as well.

P.S. My own wife counted a half dozen visible bruises on her legs. Mine, I lost track of but know for certain they remain hidden.
K&C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Fastback

I worked as a RV mechanic when I first was discharged from the service. This was in 1971, we sold a camper by the name of ATCO and they used a different type of sewer valve it was a spring loaded type clapper style the handle was the spring. Anyway, one of my first jobs was to empty the waste tank at the dump station. I could not get it to work so I removed the sewer line and stuck a screwdriver up the valve. It worked, but you want to know where my head was? Oh, s--t it something you just don't forget.

I would take antifreeze any day.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendix View Post

2. At the end of the weekend, I went to dump the tanks for the first time… I checked the sewer vent handles(there were all closed), I opened the sewer cap to attach the hose and all the liquid poured out on me all over the campground. I know what you are thinking.. however luckily the liquid was all pink. Whoever winterized the camper at the dealership must have left the sewer vent open and the cap one when they winterized. The seal was so tight, there was no leaking through the sewer cap.. I know because I was under the camper many times before and there was nothing leaking. Anyway, two more memories to chuckle about when I get to my golden years.
I had some leaking thru 1 of the 3 valves last trip, not sure what one, so purchased this item. Its like having a second Main valve, which you an pull first, after your sewer hose it hooked up, then empty the 3 holding tanks afterwards. It will stay on permanatly.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Roller4Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_dogg View Post
I had some leaking thru 1 of the 3 valves last trip, not sure what one, so purchased this item. Its like having a second Main valve, which you an pull first, after your sewer hose it hooked up, then empty the 3 holding tanks afterwards. It will stay on permanatly.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868
That was one of the things I got from the guy during the PDI. He said the valves tend to leak and this would save a messy shower.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
stlucia

I've also learned to not engage the parking brake when attempting to unhook the 5er.
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
occamper

That valve should be original equipment. If you don't have one, you need one. Takes the uncertainty out of the "duty."
occamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
fendix

Thanks guys for the valve suggestion. I have already ordered one on super fast delivery so I can get it before my excursion this weekend.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
labs4life

I use this valve to get the entire capacity out of my duel grey tanks as they are 32 gallons each. Install valve and make sure it is closed then pull both grey handles. Provided the tanks are at relatively the same level under trailer, the tanks will equalize. It has been very valuable when camping without sewer hookups!! When dumping, attach hose, push both grey valves back closed then empty black tank and then each grey as usual. This still allows the grey water to rinse the residue from the hose after black tank dump.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
fendix

Thaks Labs.. thats a great idea about equalizing the grey tanks.. I will definitely try that ou.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by occamper View Post
That valve should be original equipment. If you don't have one, you need one. Takes the uncertainty out of the "duty."
I agree !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendix View Post
Thanks guys for the valve suggestion. I have already ordered one on super fast delivery so I can get it before my excursion this weekend.
I saw 2 inch and 3" At camping world, make sure you got the 3 Inch !! Not sure what good a 2 Inch valve would be good for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
I use this valve to get the entire capacity out of my duel grey tanks as they are 32 gallons each. Install valve and make sure it is closed then pull both grey handles. Provided the tanks are at relatively the same level under trailer, the tanks will equalize. It has been very valuable when camping without sewer hookups!! When dumping, attach hose, push both grey valves back closed then empty black tank and then each grey as usual. This still allows the grey water to rinse the residue from the hose after black tank dump.
Great Idea !!
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
BobnLee

yup been there with the cap. Sometimes nothing and then you get the surprise when the cap comes off. The twist on was the best thing I ever bought. Should be standard equipment. I used to be jealous when I saw other trailers without them and would think mine was the only one out there leaking. I now see that Im not alone,(but I sure made sure I was at the dump station)
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote