Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Jabber2Jake

Cougar cupboards come crashing down

We have a 2010 Keystone Cougar 292RKS, and our cupboards have been rattled to death. Several shelves have came crashing down. Keystone puts shelves in with cleats around the edges, but they use NO glue, NO screws, only cheap staples. The staples barely bite into the structure.
I have had to reinforce several shelves, use screws, add supports and epoxy glue. Why are these shelves done so cheaply?
And several of our cupboard doors have had hinges come loose. We have had to use tooth picks and glue to seal up the screw holes and re-screw the hinges on several doors. Keystone......how much extra would it take to use a little glue?
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
sjturbo

Depressing to know that the quality of materials and workmanship of some builders is so poor. Our old Terry TT (2001) actually has held up very well considering most of our camping is done in areas where dirt roads are the norm. I once looked at a Heartland Elk Ridge (2010) and the sales person (at least 160lbs), demonstrated the cabinet integrity by hanging off the wall mounted cabinet unit. That's strong! Have not tried that with a Keystone.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Jabber2Jake

slow news day?

I'm sure many others have had shelve problems? Why the
poor response / replies ? Maybe a slow news day?
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber2Jake View Post
We have a 2010 Keystone Cougar 292RKS, and our cupboards have been rattled to death. Several shelves have came crashing down. Keystone puts shelves in with cleats around the edges, but they use NO glue, NO screws, only cheap staples. The staples barely bite into the structure.
I have had to reinforce several shelves, use screws, add supports and epoxy glue. Why are these shelves done so cheaply?
And several of our cupboard doors have had hinges come loose. We have had to use tooth picks and glue to seal up the screw holes and re-screw the hinges on several doors. Keystone......how much extra would it take to use a little glue?
Can you post a photo showing which way the screws were oriented that you used to secure the cabinets. This may sound like a silly request, but it wouldn't be much help to put the screws into 1/8" thick luan.

I did have to fix some cabiet hinges, but it was because DW left the door open and the road bounce got them. I just put in longer screws and have not had any other problems with cabinet doors.

The thing I had the most heartburn with was the way they installed the cabinet drawer glides. The photos below show how they did it with cheap staples into thin luan and then how I rebuilt them using thick plywood, screws, and glue. There was also only one screw in the middle of the rear horizontal drawer support that allowed the whole drawer assay to twist around until the staples pulled loose. An additional screw fixed the rocking problem with the drawer supports.

The vertical window valances are also a joke. The first time I hit one with the swivel rocker, it came loose from the wall. I have since removed all of the other ones and it really opened up the spaces and made them look less "busy". The plastic sink fixtures will all be replaced with quality ones in due time.
You need to check for sealing around the storage compartment access covers and re-caulk if necessary. Several of mine had a very minimal amount of sealant around the frame and when I pushed in a little, I could see a gap between the frame and the filon. What makes that particularly important is that if you experience any delamination caused by water leakage, even in the warranty period, Keystone is not likely to cover it, saying that is something that the owner needs to check regularly. You should not expect a brand new trailer to leak around windows and doors, but....

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote