Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Everyboysmomma

Slide fuse issue

We have a 2000 Keystone Cougar 281EFS that has recently started blowing fuses every time we put the slide in or out. It gets to the end of the mechanism and then pops the fuse. We replaced the 15 amp with a 20 to get us home, and blew that as well. Testing the amp of the slide motor routinely gets us a reading of 11 amps, but it has topped 20 once or twice. What would cause this intermittent extra power draw?
Thanks in advance for any/all help
Everyboysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Jim W

What is happening I think is the motor is not disengaging at the limit of the slides travel? When this happens the motor draw in AMPs will continue to rise until the fuse fails. Either the slide limit needs to be adjusted (small bell housing under slide or the motor/gear train needs to be examined and replaced or fixed. On my trailer when the slide is being moved either in or out and reaches its limit of travel you can hear the motor making a noise as it is disengaging and the slide stops.

I would check out the Lippert web site to see if you can find the instructions for the operation of your slide and maintenance. Here is the web link:

http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...d=54&Itemid=66

I hope this helps?

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. You tested the amp draw but did you check the voltage at the motor. Low voltage will increase amps. What is the condition of your battery??? I operate my slides and landing gear while still connected to shore power or TV with engine running to insure full voltage. Try testing your battery under a load for full voltage. Travel safely and be sure to return to the proper size fuse, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Everyboysmomma

Did a voltage drop test under load and it stayed above 11.7 volts the battery voltage (charger plugged in was 14.1)new battery last year and i keep the battery maintained on a charger unless on the road and the truck does it then

I hooked up my shops amp meter and every once and a while it spiked to 45 amps fuse is a 20 I bypassed for the test and it was not all the way in or out and there was no binding during the overload and the amp draw at the end of the out position was 14 amps .My feeling at this point is the motor is about to fail. several full cycles ran at 7 amps until the stop and then it went to 14 amps and then at a random time it went to 45 amps --the slides were lubed 2 months ago and the rubber gaskets were sprayed one month ago. no rust on the racks or pinions and the slide is even and not overloaded
Everyboysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You can take the motor/gearbox out and take it to an automotive electrical repair shop. They rewind motors and replace brushes much cheaper than you can buy a replacement "china motor". The last one I had rebuilt was less than $100. The biggest problem is getting the motor out and reinstalled. It's not a hard job just an awkward job.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote