Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Keystone Owners - Take Heart

For every Keystone 5th wheel that has problems, you can find at least one other RV made by someone else that has had things go wrong.
For example, friends of ours bought a new 2008 Crossroads Cruiser 5th at the same time we bought our 2008 Cougar. Other than a few very minor defects, we have had zero problems - none!
On the other hand, our unfortunate friends have had one problem after another with their Crossroads Cruiser. To name a few: cracks appearing in the outer fiberglass wall, speakers not connected, mysterious odours, faulty slide-out operation, leaks in nearly all windows, and now major alignment problems. I am not sure if the alignment issue is partly due to aggressive driving habits over rough and pot-holed filled roads or ????.
Check this site out and you will find numerous complaints from people who have purchased Keystone products and have had problems - some serious and others not quite so bad. What will not be so easy to find on this site are complaints from people who own an RV not made by Keystone. Check out other RV forums and you will find complaints about other manufacturer's RV products.
There are happy Keystone owners. So far, I am one of them.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
antiqfreq

Having owned our Keystone fiver for 1 1/2 years now, I can honestly say that we feel we have had good luck.

We know that our selection in fivers was based a lot on style and price and of course what OUR needs are.

I feel our purchase was the best bang for the buck we had to spend!

We have had no major issues whatsoever. One cabinet window over our
rear lounge chairs had a wrinkle in the window from the film. We were told that the
film itself could not be replaced, but the whole cabinet door had to. They ordered one, and we drove up and got it and put it in ourselves.

We have done a lot of upgrades and additions to our fiver to make it 'our own' and we are extremely satisfied so far.

Our last camper which was not a Keystone, luckily for us gave us excellent service also and we had it over 4 years!

AntiqFreq
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Sebring

Thumbs up Happy, happy, happy

We have not had any real issues with our Challenger..."knock on wood", other than the superslide had to be adjusted by the dealer after a few camping trips, that's it! We have been very fortunate, just hope saying it, doesn't jinx us now.

Like anything else you buy...there's good ones and absolute lemons.

My hubby is constantly checking the 5er prior to leaving and after we've been on the road and finds the usual "this'n'that" loose, so that too could be another reason, I have an excellent maintenance man.
2008 GMC Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Good Sam Member
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Sebring, Welcome to the forum. I think that keeping an eye on things and catching little problems before they turn big is very important with RVs as well as stick-homes. So make sure you treat your maintenance man good. .... Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Sebring

Thank you for welcoming me....I was on the "old" forum alot before it shut down....Hubby told me there was a new one...so I finally found it today.

My maintenance man is treated well, spoilt at times!!! LOL (How does coffee served in bed in the morning, so one doesn't miss the news or stock info???)
2008 GMC Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Good Sam Member
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
richfaa

Tour the various Rv plants in the Elkhart area and you will note that they all look pretty much the same. Same workforce makeup, same vendors, same manufacturing processes.
These guys are far more alike than diferent. Every brand has the same issues. We get to the Elkhart area every year at the Montana Owners rally and have been able to learn a great deal about the industry as a whole. Keystone is one of, if not now, the largest Rv manufacturere in the USA. They also have , IMO, the best service center in the industry. If you get a chance to be in that area do not miss the tour of your brand plant and a visit to the service center.It is a education..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
K&Gs3400RL

4th Keystone

We are on our 4th Keystone product, And are still Very Happy with our decisions thru the years. We started out with a 2002 245EFS 5th wheel, then we traded in for a 2006 278EFS 5th wheel, witch we traded in for a 2008 292RKS 5th wheel All Cougars and Now we have a 2010 295RKD Mountainer We have had a few minor Problem's with each of the Cougars but Nothing That Tacoma RV did not take care of for us.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 AM   #8
antiqfreq

Grumpy,

How do you like your Mountaineer?

We are looking for another Keystone product maybe in late 2010 or
early 2011........

Looking for something that we can use fulltime - as we sold our home
in Oct and will be living in ours for some time until we get another house.

Living in it right now, with no problems - then again, I'm in South Florida
where our weather is pretty much stable.

Any thoughts?

Jo

Do you feel the Mountaineer would suffice as a fulltime RV? Or should
we move up the ladder a little more..........
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Grumpy, Glad you found the new forum ..... even though you moved up from the Cougar, I still like the way your rig looks. Have a Happy New Year, Hank
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
NWlambear

We have had pretty good luck with our 2010 KEYSTONE 'COUGAR' 292RKS. It's a nice layout and I love the skylight in the kitchen. Wish we had ordered it without the living room furniture though. Have to figure what is the best way to remove the (yuk) sofa from the RV. Having two small LazyBoy Reclyners deliverd later this month. Any suggestions? We want to store it so we have it if we choose to trade up in the future. What alterations of you made to your 5ver? We are trying to figure out to install an elect fireplace in ours. ~ Tricia
https://homesweethomerv.blogspot.com.
NWlambear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Outbackmel

Satisfaction.....2011 Outback 36' ... 5er

Just received a check today for 70% of my out of pocket electrical fix on my new RV. When purchased, had it delivered from KY to GA because we had no tow vehicle at that time. After the drop, during the systems check, found no electric in the front bedroom slide. Called Keystone and had them document each and every contact. Followed their initial guidance; no luck. No tow vehicle to move this monster, so I told them my only choice was a local RV service mobile repair. Since my reimbursement was about the same as if I had to hook and drag it if I had a vehicle at the time; all is good.

Tried to put a "fifth wheel" in the back seat of my VW bug, convertible, but, the front wheels kept coming off the ground upon hook up ! Go figure

Have a tow vehicle now and heading to Florida soon; very soon ......

Be happy ..... travel often and safely !

Thanks Keystone !!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
DocData757

We bought a 2011 Alpine 3500RE a month ago and are totally in the process of losing heart.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
jlp

2010 295RKD Mountainer

I also have a 2010 295RKD Mountainer and like it very much. However, no one can tell me how to remove the TV in the living room. Would you happen to know that information. It is on a solid mount not a swing arm and only has about 3 inches of clearence between it and the wall. Thanks
jlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp View Post
I also have a 2010 295RKD Mountainer and like it very much. However, no one can tell me how to remove the TV in the living room. Would you happen to know that information. It is on a solid mount not a swing arm and only has about 3 inches of clearence between it and the wall. Thanks
The solid mount that I put in my Cougar has a sliding lock on the bottom rail of the mount. When unlocked the bottom of the tv tilts out and then you lift it off the top rail. One half of the mount stays on the wall and the other on the tv VESA 100 or 200 screws depending on the size of the tv.
Hope this helps, Hank