Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
coburke4

Polar Package

I have a Cougar with a "Polar Package". What does this really mean ? Will the water lines freeze if temps are below freezing ? What precautions should I be worried about with this package .
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Bushman512000

polar realy not

Dan I would say never depend on that to stop a deep freeze.Just a little heat from the furnance goes under the trailer and the underside has a little plastic with a small bat insulation pack may be ok for a early cold snap but not for a late hard freeze..Heated tanks maybe I had them in the past still any trailer made are in My way of thinking not for winter use.unless down south.I just winterized My unit yesterday It has a polar pack now 3 gallons of pink also I will drain that around Jan.in the deep South lol Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The Polar Package designation is, quite frankly, an advertising gimmick by Keystone to give the impression that the RV is able to withstand long periods of freezing temperatures. Not so.

If you plan on camping for a while in areas where the temperatures will dip and remain below freezing, your water lines and system will most likely freeze up on you. The only heat that reaches the water lines that are below floor level is via a small duct and only when the furnace is in operation.

The thin black coroplast underbelly does very little, if anything, to keep the cold out and there are too many openings which allow cold air in.

What precautions you need to take depends upon whether or not you will be using your unit or you are putting it in storage for the winter.

If you are camping, would you have access to electricity or a generator? What temperatures are we talking about? A little more information would help.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

So this is what you do at 3 in the morning! the artic insulation. is a marketing ploy at best unless the artic is in florida! we have had some nights below freezing here in the northeast and the artic package is ok for the temerary cold nights only. but if you are hooked up to the campground water supply your outside hose could freeze up. so if you are getting a really cold night un hook your city hose and drain it. and running your furnace will keep the the tanks safe. butonce the realy cold comes in it's time for the pimk stuff and head south!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Ruffus

Talking Love It

I love my polar package. The temps in NE Georgia got down to 48 degrees last night and we were a toasty 54 degrees inside the RV, it was like a heat wave, even poor Riley got cold and climbed into bed with us the AM. I put a piece of black pipe insulation over my water hose yesterday and it usally keeps my hose from freezeing until it gets into the teens.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
geo

Coburke4 -

A little over a year ago, we discussed this on the Forum. At that time, I was determined to be proactive and prepare our Alpine for future cold weather use. When I started taking the coroplast off, I received a huge surprise in what wasn't there. I wrote what turned in to a three part posting. (I tend to be verbose.).

Here are the links:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4784
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5529
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5528

Eventually I installed tank heaters, insulation, and a fan system to circulate warmed air around the pipes. If you are interested, that process is posted, in several parts, in Modifications.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Bushman512000

3:00 AM yep

I have a time to sleep and a time to check the E-mails Sabb to say but enjoy and Yes South a soon as I can get to it pink is in so no rush..lol..Bushman at 11:03AM
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
hankaye

coburke4, Howdy;

It means that someone put a sticker near your door...

Now that I got that out of my system... it indicates that you need to be
pro-active, maybe not as detailed as geo, but the decal will not
prevent freeze-ups. Good skirting, and use of other materials will help
a great deal. geo's expidetion into the belly of the Beast is a good read and should give you some worthwhile ideas.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
coburke4, Howdy;

It means that someone put a sticker near your door...

Now that I got that out of my system... it indicates that you need to be
pro-active, maybe not as detailed as geo, but the decal will not
prevent freeze-ups. Good skirting, and use of other materials will help
a great deal. geo's expidetion into the belly of the Beast is a good read and should give you some worthwhile ideas.

hankaye
Well, thank you Hankaye!

Now if Festus2 would only give me back my title of "Grand Poobah of the Underbelly"!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
mikell

Alpine fulltimer here. I took the one of the wall sections between the basement and the crawl out and put an oil filled heater in the basement it not only keeps the basement and crawl space warm but the bedroom floor too. A small fan moves the heat around in the whole underbelly area. Headed into the 3rd winter only issue was the first without changing. I use a second power cord from the pedistal for the heater and heat tape in the water works area.
propane tank area is a non insulated wall in the basement. I put 1" of insulation on it's backside
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote