Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
kiwi2000

getting ready for the end of season

Our first camping season is coming to and end. It was a lot of fun, and heart aches but we learned a lot.
I am wondering about what members do to prepare their unit for storage. I have secured an indoor site,(non heated) and am wondering if I should remove the TV's?
Anything else that should not get stored or should be done?

I have not even considered the anti freeze instructions yet. How much anti freeze will that take to fill all those lines? I will have to do some reading on that endeavor.

I am going to do the rubber roof treatment before it get stored and I have seen that it is a good idea to park on cardboard or wood.
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
mikell

save your storage money and spend it on campsites and use your rig year round. Just a thought being you still have 3 months
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

kiwi2000 -
I'd suggest you do some research on "Winterizing an RV". If you Google this topic, you will find all sorts of sites and information about what to do. Check this forum as well using the search feature. Try "winterizing" and see what you come up with.

I've heard about keeping an RV up on wooden boards rather than asphalt or concrete but have yet to hear any kind of explanation why that is necessary or recommended.

mikell -
Judging by kiwi's location, it may not be possible or him to use his RV year-round--- unless he turns into a "snowbird".
Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
geo

Because you might have an extended storage time, you should consider jacking the RV up and blocking the frame to take the weight off the tires. If you look in the generic Keystone manual or any of the tire manufacturers' website FAQs, they recommend taking the weight off the tires if storing the RV for longer than a couple of months. I don't doubt that this thought will cause some debate, but this recommendation is out there whether it is followed or not.

If you don't block up the frame and are not parking on concrete or asphalt, you will probably want to.use a board under the tires to keep them from freezing to the ground.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
chris199

My initial reaction was "It's only August! Plenty of camping left...summer ends on Sept 23rd or so!! Then on thru Halloween at least!!" But then I saw they're in Canada. Their summer starts on June 23rd or so and ends sometime on July 23rd or so...

Sun was setting at 7:50 PM here today seems like it was setting at 8:50 just a little bit ago....now we're talking about RV storage and winterizing.....all too depressing!!!!

We're going to try to camp into November this year. We had that freak October snow last year. Winterized and stored at that point. Was premature. Weather was mild in PA in November.

We'll see how it goes....

ANYWAY....try Youtube....RV Education 101 very good videos OR just search RV or winterize in Youtube. Lots of good info there and for more visual learners like me....effective.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
monica4patience

I sure would like to think that camping season is not over yet. However, with the kids back in school, and football season upon us, there is no time left for camping. Season ends mid-October at our campground. Hoping to get back up there after Labor Day but it may only be to winterize the unit and put her to bed for the winter. It's been a great summer!

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

THE Theory on puttting the tires on blocks of wood or plastic is to keep the concrete from drawing themoisture out of the rubber. That would be a tire store talking. do i do it yep it takes no time and since my wife is the one that heard it it is just easier to do than to explane.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
KJcachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica4patience View Post
I sure would like to think that camping season is not over yet. However, with the kids back in school, and football season upon us, there is no time left for camping. Season ends mid-October at our campground. Hoping to get back up there after Labor Day but it may only be to winterize the unit and put her to bed for the winter. It's been a great summer!
Just starting for us! We love camping in cooler weather so after Labor until the snow is too deep works for us. There will be a time when the water lines will have to winterized but the state parks we will use will still have electric and open bath houses.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
kiwi2000

I have read about the tires but not about taking the pressure of of the wheels of the trailer. I know I used to do that with my hot rod many moons ago.

I was wondering about the electronics as the dealer removed the TV's last year while it was stored.

No one else does this in the colder climates? Good one less thing to do.

Thank you all for your input we are actually attending a information session at our local dealer.
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
I was wondering about the electronics as the dealer removed the TV's last year while it was stored.

LCD TV's should not be allowed to freeze.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
byrdr1

storage.. dang I got 4 more trips between now and Jan 1,2013. with that being a 4-5 nighter in itself.
edn of Sept to the coast of NC, Halloween for 4 nights near the coast. Thanksgiving 8 nights near the coast, New years day til that Sunday at the beach in SC. then we will put her up. BUT I will have to add pink stuff before those last two trips maybe?? we'll see..
This is my kind of camping, cooler weather, fires at night and some during the day. Hay rides. Smores with Reeses cups instead of chocloate bars....
Kids in school so its just mama and me..Spring will be busy this next year with the last one getting ready to graduate and playing ball.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
monte1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
I have read about the tires but not about taking the pressure of of the wheels of the trailer. I know I used to do that with my hot rod many moons ago.
Thank you all for your input we are actually attending a information session at our local dealer.
- Not sure where you are in Canada Kiwi, but I'm in Southern Ontario and usually winterize mine just before or around our Thanksgiving.
- Last 5 years I have left her parked on the "Pea Gravel" with no issues. No wood or anything under the tires.
- As for the TV's...yes! Bring them into the house. They don't like getting cold.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
LCD TV's should not be allowed to freeze.
I leave mine in year round here in northern Wisconsin and have had no problems. The tv owners manual only says that a tv should be allowed to warm up before it is turned on.
I drive a semi for a freight company and deliver tv's to some of our customers and I can tell you that there are no "keep warm" provisions regarding the distribution and transportation of tv's. the are shipped on unheated trucks and kept in unheated docks from the point of origin to the destination without problems.
in the end every one should do what they are most comfortable with.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

The LG owner's manual specifications are:

Operating Temperature: 32 - 104 *F (0 - 40*C)
Operating Humidity: Less than 80%

Storage Temperature: -4 - 140*F (-20 - 60*C)
Storage Humidity: Less than 85%

The Ford Rear Entertainment System Specifications are:

Operating Temperature: -4 - 158*F (-20 - 70*C)
Operating Humidity: Less than 90%

Storage Temperature: -22 - 185*F (-30 - 85*C)
Storage Humidity: Less than 95%

While the decision to remove your TV is entirely up to you, The above specifications indicate that for most of us, the TV will be stored within the allowable temperature range in most of the SOUTHERN half of the US. However, the NORTHERN half of the US and most of Canada may experience temperatures that fall below the storage limits.

I might also add that I've left our TV in the RV for the past 2 winters, temps have fallen to -30*F and our LG has worked well when used. Maybe we're lucky? I will say that operating temps are more critical and we've never turned on the TV when the surrounding temperature was less than about 50*F. Usually it's closer to 65 - 80 when used.

I will probably remove our TV this winter after researching this data. Your opinion may differ.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #15
mhs4771

The best thing you can do is: Load up the rig and head for warmer climate, the best way to winterize the rig and yourself at the same time.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Michelle & Ann wrote :
"The best thing you can do is: Load up the rig and head for warmer climate, the best way to winterize the rig and yourself at the same time".

Now THAT is the best winterizing solution I have ever come across. But what will I do with my snow shovel and thermal underwear? And please, no nasty comments!!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

You can wrap up your snow (spit), shovel
in your thermals so it doesn't make those
annoying rattaling noises ......

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
fla-gypsy

What is "The end of the season"? I am not familiar with that. I have heard of winterizing, that means I need to put long pants in the camper!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Bruce Jackson

I have been camping and traveling for about 25 years. I have
always blown all the water lines out with a air compressor and put
the pink antifreeze in all the "P" traps with no problems. Never removed the TV's, and never took the weight off the tires. And never had a problem in the spring.

2011 Montana 3150 RL
2003 Dodge 3500 Dually 5.9 Cummins HO
5TH Wheel Air Hitch
Bruce Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
azlee56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Michelle & Ann wrote :
"The best thing you can do is: Load up the rig and head for warmer climate, the best way to winterize the rig and yourself at the same time".

Now THAT is the best winterizing solution I have ever come across. But what will I do with my snow shovel and thermal underwear? And please, no nasty comments!!

I would NEVER say any comments! (snort).