Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
EntourageE

Looking to by 2012 Keystone Sydney 340FBH

All

So looking for some people who have had a Sydney to let me know their opinions. My wife and I (we also have 2 daughters age 11 and 9) have been looking into getting a fifth wheel for over a year now. We've gone to 2 shows here in Southern California and looked at various surrounding dealers. We've gone back and forth on BH model vs larger living room with no BH vs Toyhauler (no toys now but I'd like to get some) and I think we've finally settled on a BH model for the kid's sake and ours so they can have their own room. We've looked at several Keystone Cougar models out here in Cali but nobody out here sells the Sydney, however we really like the look of it online and we know that Cougar and Sydney are both similar (i.e. Keystone mid-level). We've found a really good deal (atleast I think it's a good price) on a Sydney 340BH from Holman RV in Ohio but I'm very nervous about making any type of purchase like this basically over the phone an internet.

Sorry about the long post, I've been trolling for awhile but just looking for advice on the unit as well as if anyone has bought from Holman or other dealer far away and had unit shipped. CA dealers are much more expensive than dealers in the Ohio/Michigan/IN area of the country.

Thanks
Eric
EntourageE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
jq1031

Eric, just for your information you have a very reputable dealer in Tuscon, Az. Lazydays RV in Sefner Fl, probably the largest dealer between the Atlantic Ocean & Mississippi River purchased Beaudry RV after there recent bankruptcy in Tuscon. They handle Sydney at that dealership. Az is alot closer than Ohio! Also, you would be much better off picking up the unit yourself, spend a few days near the dealership so any bugs or adjustments can be addressed, and believe me there will be some. I purchased my latest TT from Lazydays in FL but I took delivery near the Keystone factory in Goshen, Indiana last March. I spent 4 days there in a nearby campground, I had the service tech back 3 or 4 times to fix items that needed adjustment (like a furnace that shut down in near freezing temperature). BTW, both Lazydays dealerships have there own on site campground & I'm sure a few days of free camping is well within your negotation skills, so you could turn your delivery into a memorable family vacation. Good luck....Joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
f6bits

California trailers look to be an automatic 3-4 thousand dollars more just for transportation costs from the midwest where they’re manufactured. Unless you’d like a cross-country “vacation,” I’d try local, like the AZ location mentioned above.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
EntourageE

Thanks I'll look into LazyDays, agree that shipping is about $3-4K from midwest CA but when they are $10K below the cheapest quote I can get out here I'd still save $6K. Plus if I buy in CA I have to pay CA sales tax. Being military I register all my vehicles in SD my state of permanent residence because sales tax/registration fees are really low. Sales tax in CA is 8.75% for my county, South Dakota is 3%.

However you nailed the head on my biggest concern, not being there to do the PDI and camp for a few days to work out the bugs. I don't really like the idea of not being able to do that and then get stuck with a new trailer out here and a dealer that doesn't have a lot of incentive to fix it in a timely manner because I didn't buy from them.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
jq1031

I don't know how much time you have to travel, but arranging an Indiana delivery will save you a bundle. My savings was over $1500.00 as compared to having it delivered to Florida. If you need more information on how I worked that out & the company in Goshen, IN that handled the transfer (Keystone does not do factory deliveries) send me a PM & I'll give you the particulars.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
larrym

If you are looking out of state, I have dealt with Affinity RV in Prescott, AZ twice, once for a new 2010 Winnebago Adventurer 40' motor home and now our new 2012 3750FL Big Sky. We're due to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call, talk to Ron Lowery, tell him Larry and Barb from Texas pimped him out.
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR
'23 T-Bucket, Tunnel Ram 427 BBC

https://banners.wunderground.com/weat...t=40 width=467
larrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
therink

I have a 2010 Sydney 329fbh and am very happy with it. The construction and features are on par with most mid priced fivers I have looked at. My only real beef is the spongy feel with the floor in the kitchen area. I have made some mods and had a couple issues covered under warranty. I dont have any regrets buying it. It is my 5th RV and the best one so far.
Choose your dealer carefully. A bad dealer can make the purchase and initial ownership experience hell. A good dealer will spend the time and go through the rig with a fine tooth comb and fix any items that were not done properly at the factory (Keystone actually pays them to do this whether they do or not). A poor dealer will pocket the $ and let the new owner find the laundry list of problems.
Good luck to you.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
EntourageE

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post
If you are looking out of state, I have dealt with Affinity RV in Prescott, AZ twice, once for a new 2010 Winnebago Adventurer 40' motor home and now our new 2012 3750FL Big Sky. We're due to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call, talk to Ron Lowery, tell him Larry and Barb from Texas pimped him out.
Did you guys order your Big Sky from the Factory then, I checked out their website and they didn't have any of the models we are interested in currently on the lot?