Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
Maggman

No more thor products for me

Hi all, on my 3rd travel trailer in 7 years. Passport 29 ft, had a few leaks, too many quality issues and Dometic nightmares. Dometic junk is a whole nother rant. Traded in on 321res High Country, that was only delivered to seasonal site and then traded on current passport elite 27rb and never towed. High Country was Ok and beautiful , but again many issues with QC. Staples through drain pipes causing leaks, torn coaxial causing poor tv, air mattress never worked without leaking, bad design with entry door up against window, and major rusting with undercarriage. Horrible openings in undercarriage but the mice loved the open door policy to get inside. 6 cans of foam fixed that. The new 27 rb is Ok, but again design problems. Why put the sewer drain for gray water sinks separate UNDER the slide out 8ft away from other drains! When at site for more then a few days, have to close the slide to access the drain, or crawl under the slide to pull out the drain. Couldn't spend $10.00 more to run the drain to the back where other two outlets are?.. leaks from under roof drain channels from AC drips running under the channel. Many interior scratches on wood and misalignment of entry door, cabinets. Cheap interior parts, to include horrible toilet seat that lasted one day of my 125lb wife. Bottom line is people spend good money for these and initially look good, but once using are junk. I realize that these are made to be light and cheaply constructed, but poor QC and forget dealer help. After the first year, toast and no help. Luckily I am very handy and fixed almost everything, but done with these low end units. Thor needs to be more end user friendly and spend a few more dollars making these buggies easier to use and fix. Ok, I'm done have to go do more caulking.
Maggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I understand your frustration, but I can tell you as a person that works on RV's , your going to find issues in any brand/line you look at. Good luck in your quest to find a trouble free RV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:12 AM   #3
Maggman

Thx brother, just frustrated with constantly fixing ****z... Should have bought a boat.. haha I know they are worse, but at least you can sink them.. enjoy!!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:18 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah. Working on them can be more frustrating because you CAN'T.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:25 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I do not recall ANY campers, numerous RV manufacture, stating that their unit had Zero issues. As stated Good Luck finding one that has no issues, all have issues, some more than others.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
geobet

Didn't someone once post that "working on their RV was a nice hobby and fun as well???"

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Didn't someone once post that "working on their RV was a nice hobby and fun as well???"
Wasn't me but it is fun and educational.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

It seems things "run in cycles" and this forum isn't any different. I'm making essentially the same post again (probably 4 or 5 times in the past week)

People say that the happiest two days in an RV owner's life are:

1. The day he buys his new RV and
2. THE DAY HE SELLS THE DARNED THING (and knows it's no longer his problem)......

I might note, the "wise person" who first coined this concept probably wasn't an RV owner (I think it was first said about boat owners) and if you notice, there isn't any brand associated with either statement.....

I have a friend who full times in a "million dollar motorhome" complete with all the bells, whistles and some stuff nobody has yet figured out what it is or what it does.... His problems are "over the top" when compared to the simplicity and "bare bones" of my Cougar. I could go on for days about the problems he's had, the anger he's endured and the money he's spent on fixing what wasn't covered by his warranty or his extended warranty. But, I might note that last time they were here, he was still smiling and enjoying their travels. He and his DW are currently "fishing off the coast of Oregon" and last I heard, that "DAMNED MOTORHOME" (yes that's what's painted on the side by the door) is still not working like he hoped it would.... But he loves it, none the less....

ALL RV's are capable of inflicting substantial anger and frustration in their owners..... Same with boats, tractors, trucks, kids and even spouses..... So smile and keep on RV'ing

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
canesfan

X2 to what John said ^^^^^. I have a friend just like that, he hates the DAMN THING, but every time he sells it, and says NO MORE, he buys another, and around he goes again. Use and, complain about it, but have fun with it. Life's too short.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
Maggman

Laughing..

Some funny responses, but still frustrating and today again I was fixing a few things, but savoured a few cold ones while tinkering. I love camping and will continue, just wish like everything else in life people would taje more pride in their products. Sometimes I guess I wsnt too much.. ok, thanks for the comments and a few more beers and I will be whining to "she who must be obeyed" with her honey do list.😲😗
Old 07-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
gearhead

When you get tired of paying for junk, look at Bigfoot travel trailers.
But be prepared for near $60,000 for a 25ft trailer.
http://bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv_trav...00_series.html
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #12
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggman View Post
I will be whining to "she who must be obeyed" with her honey do list.
Your a good man blaming something else for your misery.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Or a MSRP of 90,000 plus for a 28 ft Airsteam. Go on their member forum they also have issues.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
bsmith0404

The dealership I'm currently working is mainly a Keystone dealer, we also have some Forrest River and Grand Design. If I had to rank them as far as issues go, Grand Design would be the best, followed by Keystone, and then Forrest River. They used to handle Hartland units as well, but dropped them because they were a constant headache.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote