Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
hdrolling

Slide out Stabilizers?

I have a friend that just sold his toy hauler for an RV and he's selling his kingpin tripod and some slide out Stabilizers. Do any of you with toy haulers and the auto adjust ever feel you need extra support for the slides? I see on camping world they sell for $71 for a set of two, I haven't asked my buddy what he wants for them because I wasn't sure what he was talking about until I got on line and did some research.

Anyone use these and are they needed? Our first camper doesn't get delivered until this Mon and my buddy gave my first dibs.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
sbaker

Have yet to sit on my couch (slide area) and think "Man, I need to stabilize this slide!" I do have the 6 pt leveling system, although on my previous camper (FZ 300) no problems either.
I've considered the slide stabilizers in the past but opinions on this forum that made sense to me stated that you run the risk of the slide supporting some of the weight of your camper via the stabilizers. ie tire pressure change. ?? Just avoid weight on the slide when partially deployed.
I'd spend my money on a good tool set just for the camper to include a long handled torque wrench and a "trailer aid" for tire change. Maybe a cordless impact wrench, cordless drill and a small air compressor. I also got a Bolt it On system for securing my softail. Easy in easy out.
And congratulations on the camper and safe travels.
B and W Companion Manual Slider Hitch
sbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
hdrolling

Thanks that good to know, also I did a search and nothing came up. Are these things called something else in the camping world?

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

I have a kingpin tripod that I bought from a camper and use it. As far as the slide out Stabilizers do not have them nor do I think they are required. Slides are design to support the normal weight, I would not put a trampoline in a slide Come to think of it. I have only seen one rig with these slide out stabilizers
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Jlwright

I was told that they could damage the slide if a tire went down as the stabilizer would put too much pressure on the slide.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
hdrolling

Great info guys, thanks. I want the kingpin tripod but have never seen the slide stabilizers on any campers I've seen so far so figured I'd ask here.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright View Post
I was told that they could damage the slide if a tire went down as the stabilizer would put too much pressure on the slide.
In addition to the possibility of a tire leaking down (might or might not happen) there is the very real motion that occurs every time you walk in your trailer. That "bounce" that occurs when the suspension goes up and down with normal movement within the RV also affects the slide. If you put stabilizers under the slide and don't stop all movement of the suspension, you will set up motion between the slide and the trailer. The gears, linkage and extension rods that activate the slide will "bend and twist" as they move up and down related to the trailer suspension (springs) moving. That will set up wear in the slide mechanism and can cause premature failure.

The slide structure is designed to be "solidly positioned" against the trailer sidewall. It is, as long as the slide and trailer can "move as one." When you put stabilizers under the slide, yet still have motion of the trailer on its suspension, you defeat that "solid position". It's best not to try to make one solid while the other still moves. Slide stabilizers can cause more problems later on than they can provide "comfort" now.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Great info guys, thanks. I want the kingpin tripod but have never seen the slide stabilizers on any campers I've seen so far so figured I'd ask here.
I don't recall you saying whether or not your new Raptor has the 6 point leveling system or not. If it does, you don't need, and probably don't want to use anything under the kingpin. The way that system works pretty much makes any "extra stabilization" not only not necessary, but also makes it obsolete.

If, however, you don't have the 6 point leveling system, it might be beneficial, at least until you install a steadyfast or BAL stabilizer system, both of which are also "not needed" with the 6 point leveling system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't recall you saying whether or not your new Raptor has the 6 point leveling system or not. If it does, you don't need, and probably don't want to use anything under the kingpin. The way that system works pretty much makes any "extra stabilization" not only not necessary, but also makes it obsolete.

If, however, you don't have the 6 point leveling system, it might be beneficial, at least until you install a steadyfast or BAL stabilizer system, both of which are also "not needed" with the 6 point leveling system.
Yes my camper does have the 6 point leveling system, this forum is saving me money already!

This why I love forums, with a little research and asking question you can go from what you think you need to have to knowing what you actually need.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 04-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
kilolima

Smile I use the tripod

Will pick up my 425ts this Wednesday but have been using a kingpin tripod and slide stabilizers for my Bighorn 3570rs. I agree the slide stabilizers are not a good idea but the kingpin tripod, for me, is a must. It will not cause structural issues and it eliminates a ton of lateral sway. I wish I had a rear frame stabilizer like the one I had on my Landmark...but the 6 point leveling does a pretty good job. Can't wait to pick up the raptor!
kilolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
tirnanah

My dad uses the tripod on his kingpin as the "lock" for his king pin. He said since he needs to lock it anyway, he might as well add just a little bit of stability while he is at it... He has a montana with the 6 point leveling...
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote