Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Post Raptor ems installation

I am considering installing a hardwired surge protector in my Raptor 300 and currently leaning toward the Progressive 50 model EMS-HW50C over the Surge Guard 40240. Plans are to install it next to the transfer switch and in series with the output of the switch, so as to provide protection for both power sources. Other than voltage limits or loss of neutral not exactly sure what these units would protect as far as generator power? I have not found any information on either of these devices related to if they can be bypassed in the event of a fault with the unit resulting in total power loss. Read a thread somewhere that stated there were units with a bypass in earlier models?

First I am assuming a fault in the unit could basically cause the power source to open resulting in no power to the rig. Unlike portable units, which can be unplugged, these units are hardwired and not easily bypassed to restore rig power in the event of a total loss of power.

In this case a single failure takes out both of my power sources, whereas. If the unit was installed only to the site power leg and there was a device failure, I would still have the generator as a backup. Again not really sure how much protection these units will provide for generator power?
Am I over thinking this? Where have others, who have transfer switches, placed these devices electrically? Can these devices have faults that will cause total loss of rig power? Do some units have a bypass mechanism?

Any comments will be appreciated

Thank You
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up Finally Decided

Finally decided what equipment/configuration I wanted to protect the Raptor. YA I know over a year later , have to remember there are Senior Citizen Naps in that time frame. The main objective was to protect the Raptor both in shore power mode as well as the onboard generator. Also wanted a method to monitor the real time power on both legs. Just dying to see how these geniuses wired the Raptor to equally split the loads

I purchased and recently installed a Surge Guard 40250-RVC transfer Switch and remote monitor. This unit will provide equal protection for shore power as well as power from the onboard ONAN 5500. The monitor readout constantly cycles through various rig power parameters on both legs including any error text. Currently in the testing mode, completing the installation of the monitor inside the Raptor and sealing and closing the inners as the weather permits.

Looks good so far, generator power has priority. I will provide pictures when I close things up

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Had a few days to work outside where temps got into the 40's (Heat Wave) to complete closing up. Although got up this morning to a blanket of snow covering the ground and around 12 degrees. Here the some pictures of the mod, did not clean up before pictures taken. Other mods will be included in the area under the power indicator such as led awning lighting switch, stereo/tv/DVD jacks. Took a year for me to decide how to provide complete (shore and generator) power protection as well as overall power monitoring so these others may take awhile But this mod is done and I am happy with it.

Now on to figuring how to get these LED awning lights up. (one criteria is no additional holes in skin and no remotes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3368.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	8160   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150313_134659.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	8161   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_115644.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	8162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150324_154107.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	8163   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150322_200503.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	8164  

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

and the rest of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150323_143441.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	8165   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150322_200633.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	8166  

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)

Tags
ems, surge guard, surge protection