Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2023, 04:19 PM   #41
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
We stayed at Up the Creek about 6 years ago. We were 3 rows in from the creek and after a moderate rain our site had about 6" of water in it. It wasn't the creek flooding it was just poor drainage. The ducks swimming around and under our camper was quiant (not a joke).
don’t feed the ducks or they will never leave …probably a family of ducks comes back to site 34 every year because someone gave them bread 10 years ago
Old 07-21-2023, 06:04 PM   #42
LHaven

DW and I had this very discussion four weeks ago.
"We should go north. We haven't been to Sedona in a decade."
"It's 104°."
"How about Flag, or Williams?"
"Same temperature."
"Page, Lake Powell?"
"102°."
"We've never gone to Bryce Canyon."
"Ooh, in the 80s!"
Yup, elevation makes the difference. We traded heat for chiggers, but I'd do it again.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:45 PM   #43
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Let's play a game. Where would you go to escape 100+F heat? I'm near Houston Texas so let's say the destination should be within a 4 day drive of here.
Northern latitudes and higher elevations have their appeal, but they are tempting you in the wrong direction. 4 hours away from you is INNER SPACE CAVERN with a constant 72 deg temperature. Find a campground nearby and spend the rest of the summer caving during the heat of the day Now that would be a story for the campfire!

I think I clearly won the game

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:35 PM   #44
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i tend to worry about worst case scenarios…it isn’t the best way to go thru life but i deal with it as best as i can….i remember someone …maybe you? ..mentioned that campground a few years ago on the forum and i looked it up and thought about going but we haven’t got around to planning a trip there..working with a company that is doing graphics for my work truck and the rep and her fiancé are moving to Tennessee this week… …she said it’s close to the VA border.. Bristol maybe? and so many places they like to go. can go over to VA and also Asheville NC
I understand the worst case scenario. At work if I wanted to change anything on my mechanical equipment I had to stand before the “Make Change Committee”. There were no Mechanical Engineers, just Chemical Engineers, and a rep from the Environmental Dept. They didn’t have enough knowledge to ask questions. It sometimes could be entertaining. One time, discussing the speed of something, I said it was running “balls to the wall”. That’s an old Millwright expression describing the governor balls being spread to maximum horizontal because the machine was running as fast as possible. In the politically correct world of international oil companies I may as well had laid a feces log on the conference table. All that to say yes I understand the what if scenario games.
That area on the Tennessee border is very nice. I could stand living there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 05:27 AM   #45
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
Northern latitudes and higher elevations have their appeal, but they are tempting you in the wrong direction. 4 hours away from you is INNER SPACE CAVERN with a constant 72 deg temperature. Find a campground nearby and spend the rest of the summer caving during the heat of the day Now that would be a story for the campfire!

I think I clearly won the game
Yes I think you won.
I have never heard of those caverns. I’m not much of a Texas Hill Country guy. I’m not terrified of being underground but I’d just as soon not be.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-23-2023, 07:18 AM   #46
Pearlie

There is a clear choice if you live in central North Carolina. You go to the Blue Ridge Mountains in western North Carolina. Easily 10-12 degrees cooler (and sometimes more), it's not only a lot more comfortable but is beautiful. It's an area much-loved by people who camp in the state and national forests and in commercial campgrounds that dot the mountains. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a favorite drive, and the multiple picturesque mountain towns are a joy to visit.
Pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:37 AM   #47
Rdynbama

If you want some nice comfortable weather try Ludington Mi. It’s about 1300 miles from Houston. We left there 7/17 and started heading home to Alabama and the heat / humidity, the highs were in the mid to upper 70’s and lows in the low 60’s it was great. In Indiana this week along the Ohio River and it was 83 yesterday but low humidity. The closer we get to home the hotter it gets.
We may start this trip later in the year next year and be up there in August/September.
Call ahead cause the CG are packed. We stayed at Vacation Station and highly recommend it.
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:11 PM   #48
AZWANDERERS

Where oh where

We've put close to 50K miles on the rig in the last 4 years. Early spring, spring, summer, and fall. Every kind of weather one can think of including some new hail dents in the truck compliments of Custer, WY. We have changed plans numerous times when the temps got out of hand. Be looking for 7500' + or higher This time of year lots of parks are packed but with high fuel prices and school staring in various places there is availability. We did a 5k trip in May/June with two grandkids up central midwest (NM, CO, WY, MT, UT) with 10 days in Yellowstone. Other than Alamagordo (NM heading out) and Tuba City (coming back) it seldom hit 70 but it didn't stop us (more rain than expected. Heading north depending on your routes one has to deal with mountain passes. Some sections of various interstates are abysmal - sure aren't using highway funds to maintain roads. Summers one has to deal with t-storms if typical places get their normal monsoons. We try not to do more than 300 miles a day. Don't like driving in heat (even though from AZ) even with good Sailuns. There are lots of places above 7500' (organized or off grid) and most will have plenty of nearby attractions. Draw yourself a couple of circles on a map and pick one or two and go explore.
AZWANDERERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #49
adeakins

We are resident volunteers working at a USFS day use center 4 miles south of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. We are sitting at 2800’ in the Pisgah Forest. We have had a couple of 80° - 85° days but mostly the highs are in the mid-70’s. It’s July, so soon, the daily temp averages will move to slightly cooler. This area is full of RV parks at varying altitudes. Asheville is 45 minutes from where we are. From Houston you can - I’m assuming you’re pulling or driving an RV - in under 4 days. Via I-40. There are other routes. I prefer I-40 east from Dallas as it is a better road than I-10 plus a leg north via either I-85 or I-75
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 02:34 PM   #50
Gunny Mike

Door County Wisconsin. Todays high was 76.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 05:15 PM   #51
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Let's play a game. Where would you go to escape 100+F heat? I'm near Houston Texas so let's say the destination should be within a 4 day drive of here. Considerations should be costs, elbow room in the CG, average daily temps, and ease of access. We've done Colorado at Vallecito Resort. Weather was good.
What say you?
Ruidoso/ Alto, NM. is nice and only about 800 miles away. Wife and I just got back from a couple of weeks there and had lows in the 50's with some high 80's that was ok with the low humidity. Breezes are amazing in the shade of the awning.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 05:19 PM   #52
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlie View Post
There is a clear choice if you live in central North Carolina. You go to the Blue Ridge Mountains in western North Carolina. Easily 10-12 degrees cooler (and sometimes more), it's not only a lot more comfortable but is beautiful. It's an area much-loved by people who camp in the state and national forests and in commercial campgrounds that dot the mountains. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a favorite drive, and the multiple picturesque mountain towns are a joy to visit.
Yes, I like it up there. I spent one night in Big? Meadows campground. I pulled out of there and headed north until I got to the first tunnel. Turned around and got on I 81. I was in the Bigfoot truck camper.
My ancestors lived up there from Mocksville up to Yadkinville. Still a few Reavis’ in Yadkinville. They founded Dutchman Creek Baptist Church and/or Eatons.
We usually stay at Tanglewood Park in Clemons. I need to research summer temps in Clemons.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-24-2023, 03:45 AM   #53
BSandersAZ

The closest place above 10,000 ft should be good
B
BSandersAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:49 AM   #54
notanlines

Steve, "If you want some nice comfortable weather try Ludington Mi" might be a good idea if not for the prices. We were waiting for the USS Badger to take us back to Wisconsin and a night at the Rodeway Inn would have been $325.00. Yes, the Rodeway Inn, I'll let the name speak for itself. I'm guessing it was this high because of its proximity to Western Sizzlin' and Walmart.
No, we didn't fall for that or $375 at Holiday Inn. We found a nice mom and pop for about $125.00.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #55
gearhead

Crazy prices. I suppose they have to make it when they can.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-24-2023, 02:56 PM   #56
KarenK

Come to Michigan and stay close to or on the shores of Lake MI, you'll have the benefit of cooler temps being close to lake. We are about 3-4 miles from it and our temps are usually 10 degrees cooler than farther inland. There is always the UP too. Our favorite up there is Grand Marais on Lake Superior. Beautiful campground owned by the city, Woodland Park, watch the freighters go by and the sunsets are gorgeous.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:44 AM   #57
gearhead

[QUOTE=Ibdagriz;542211]Ruidoso/ Alto, NM. is nice and only about 800 miles away. Wife and I just got back from a couple of weeks there and had lows in the 50's with some high 80's that was ok with the low humidity. Breezes are amazing in the shade of the awning.

Griz[/QUOTE
I have looked and looked at Ruidoso. Which camp ground did you stay at?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-25-2023, 02:54 PM   #58
Rdynbama

It’s not cheap, we were there for a month and it averaged about $75 per night .

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 03:03 PM   #59
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeakins View Post
We are resident volunteers working at a USFS day use center 4 miles south of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. We are sitting at 2800’ in the Pisgah Forest. We have had a couple of 80° - 85° days but mostly the highs are in the mid-70’s. It’s July, so soon, the daily temp averages will move to slightly cooler. This area is full of RV parks at varying altitudes. Asheville is 45 minutes from where we are. From Houston you can - I’m assuming you’re pulling or driving an RV - in under 4 days. Via I-40. There are other routes. I prefer I-40 east from Dallas as it is a better road than I-10 plus a leg north via either I-85 or I-75
Google says going to Dallas is 5-6 hours longer.
We're pretty familiar with I-10 east. It's not too bad except for Baton Rouge.
Thanks...Ill look at RV Parks around Asheville. I looked at Mama Gerties a few night ago.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-25-2023, 05:12 PM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Steve, "If you want some nice comfortable weather try Ludington Mi" might be a good idea if not for the prices. We were waiting for the USS Badger to take us back to Wisconsin and a night at the Rodeway Inn would have been $325.00. Yes, the Rodeway Inn, I'll let the name speak for itself. I'm guessing it was this high because of its proximity to Western Sizzlin' and Walmart.
No, we didn't fall for that or $375 at Holiday Inn. We found a nice mom and pop for about $125.00.
Just a comment, but the USS Badger had a problem with a lift ramp this past weekend and is "grounded for repairs until further notice".... They are offering passengers with reservations a choice of rescheduling when operations resume or a complete refund. There is no "repair timeline" and the company put out a statement that they would provide public notice when the Badger resumes operations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote