Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just an opinion, and I don't have any "inside information from Dexter, Lippert or AlKo to back me up. That said, I'd suspect that all axle manufacturers use a blanket statement to cover their butts in all situations. All the axle manufacturers build axles for travel trailers, cargo trailers, boat trailers, snowmobile trailers and virtually all "other category trailers". They don't manage which axles a manufacturer puts under a trailer, so much of their "maintenance recommendations" are based in generalities, not on specific use profiles.

So, I'd suspect the "annual bearing repack recommendation" is a "general statement based on anticipated use of their entire axle inventory". Obviously, a boat trailer bearing used in salt water will require more frequent inspection/servicing than a travel trailer that's towed 1000 miles annually which will require less frequent inspection/servicing than a similar axle on a cargo trailer that's towed 40 or 50 thousand miles annually (think U-Haul rental trailers). So, to be in the "don't criticize us, we told you" category, blanket "dumb down statements" are issued to CYA more than to establish valid criteria.

Obviously, no "one criteria" is going to fit all user profiles. What's the right one? Do you follow the axle manufacturer, the trailer manufacturer, the guy at the local service center or your own "good judgement" ???

To each his own, but......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #22
sdetweil

So, a further question.. i am at the 5 yr mark (2013 alpine, 1st repack) the bearings look good via manual inspection.. but, while I am there, is there any reason (besides the $50 cost difference) to NOT just replace the bearings and races.. gotta repack and replace the seal anyhow..
Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
So, a further question.. i am at the 5 yr mark (2013 alpine, 1st repack) the bearings look good via manual inspection.. but, while I am there, is there any reason (besides the $50 cost difference) to NOT just replace the bearings and races.. gotta repack and replace the seal anyhow..
At five years with no previous maintenance on Chinese bearings and races, for $50 to install USA Timken bearings and races, with proper hand packing and new seals, your hubs will likely outlive your trailer. Seems like a logical, well justified investment to me.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #24
BOU0146

From the factory they should have been repacked almost immediately, then about every 10,000 miles after that
BOU0146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #25
BadmanRick

I have a 2011 Bullet Premier 19FBPR. I just changed all 4 Dexter brakes with the never adjust electric brakes and all 4 drums. The dexter drums came with all new bearings and seals axle nut and lock for nut. The instructions which came with the hubs advise to repack the bearings once a year or 12000 miles. In the 8 years I have had my Travel trailer I repacked the bearings once. Otherwise I have the EZ-lube axels and kept greasing bearing once a years. When I took off the hubs the bearings were as good as new. Just keep them lubed and you should have no problem. Use a good quality wheel bearing grease.
The reason I changed the breaks is all the original electric breaks froze up from rust. They were the manual adjust breaks and I replaced them with the never adjust breaks. Hence new breaks and drums.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #26
S&D--Forever

Hey Rowland, we take the same trip down the west coast to AZ for a winter getaway. It costs about $150 a year to clean and grease the bearings, check all seals and brakes and inspect the tires. It’s cheap insurance “Ger er done” and go HAWKS!!
S&D--Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 AM   #27
anthonbloom

I've logged better than 60,000 km on my 2012 Cougar 318SAB and never touched the wheel bearings other to inspect them, but I had catastrophic failure of the balance shackles. The bolts were rusted, the sleeves worn through and the bolt holes oval. They cannot be lubricated without removing the axles and I did not see the problem until a rear spring twisted and a tire got cut . Be warned!
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #28
fatcatzzz

We just had a nice couple pull in next to us with a SOB missing the right rear wheel. Seems they had their bearings repacked in Tucson AZ a week ago. Wheel came off just south of Kerrville Tx yesterday. Axle is toast. Best guess is they did not seat the new races or preload was to tight. But just a guess. I guess my point is pick someone who knows what they are doing. I do my own.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #29
Rowland

Yes I was referring to the trailer bearings not the TV. What is the best grease to use on these?

Thanks!

Rowland
Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #30
ChuckS

Wheel Bearings

My personal favorite for many decades is this one....

https://www.motosport.com/product/?a...badger&variant[LUO0008]=LUO0008-X001-Y001

This also comes in cartridge and I use to lube suspension on my fifth wheel and vehicles.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #31
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland View Post
Yes I was referring to the trailer bearings not the TV. What is the best grease to use on these?

Thanks!
Walmart Supertek Multi Duty Complex HI Temp Grease 14oz container $3.79
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote