Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Jorme

Why do you want to push the limits?????

I have been on this forum for a couple of months now. I am constantly seeing the threads of "Can I tow this?" In my opinion, if you have to ask, then yes it is. Towing a trailer is not an easy feat by any stretch, it takes years of practice to get proficient and comfortable with it. Why do the majority of people insist on pushing the limits of their tow vehicles and making it even more dangerous and difficult. I have always bought big trucks, knowing that I am going to have an RV, or even my 36' race trailer. There has never been an question of is that too much. If you bought a truck not knowing that you were gonna get a trailer, then that big of a trailer is too much. Start with something smaller and get used to it. See what you like, and don't like about the RV world.

Deep Breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Rant off!.

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Jorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
f6bits

Simple, they already have the TV. And when you go shopping, you want a trailer with X features, like a slide out. All the ones they see have numbers that push the limits. They’re already spending big bucks on the trailer and can’t justify/afford more big bucks on a truck.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Jorme -
People who ask the question, "Can I tow this?", may be asking it for a variety of reasons. Some may be just starting out RVing and know little, if anything, about towing or RV's and are looking for answers from people who they think know more than they do. They really don't know where to start so they begin by asking on forums such as this.

Others rely on the advice and recommendations they get from forum members and do little, if any, research or "homework" to try to figure it out for themselves. Matching an RV with a tow vehicle takes time and effort. Some folks are willing to put in time and effort to become more knowledgeable so that they can make an informed decision. They work things out for themselves. Some others can't be bothered with all this work so they want the forum "experts" to tell them what to do.

And then we have those who are looking for confirmation from us to verify what they have already decided to do - regardless of the advice given to them by the members. They have this truck and, no matter what advice they ask for and are given, will go out and buy the RV that they have already picked out.

And then we have the group that "is pushing the limits"...... the ones that tell us that they are close to or just a bit over. These are often the ones who assure us that they won't go over 60, won't overload the RV, stay away from the hills, and so on. Start with something smaller you say? How novel! In today's world, "starting small" isn't in many peoples' vocabulary. But that's another rant.

I can understand the dilemna that people face when asking this question. First, they are looking at parting with a lot of money to buy an RV. Then we have people on the forum telling them that their truck is too small and you'll need to go out and spend several more thousands on a new and bigger truck! Already facing a large outlay of cash, many choose to ignore suggestions to get something heftier rather than spending any more money.

Not only that but also they are often given conflicting advice on forums. When asked, "Can I tow this?", they might hear.... "Sure, no problem. I have the same setup. You'll be just fine." OR they might read, "Not sure, we need more info." OR how about, "Maybe, but you'll be pushing the limits"..... OR "No way. You're way overloaded!" And all these different responses are for the same truck and same trailer!

I hear what you are saying and I wish there were a simple explanation and answer for the question that will be asked over and over and over again.....
'"CAN I TOW THIS?"
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Ruffus

Talking Politics

Hey Festus, have you ever thought about running for office? You are about the most diplomatic person on this blog. People like Jorme and myself seem to keep you rather busy. It must be a Simi Valley Ca thing cuz that is where I'm from and where Jorme lives. Sorry, I'm trying to be better and your doing a great job of comming us down!
Keep up the great work and your right about newbees asking the questions, how else do you learn and besides not everyone can afford a new truck, god knows I can'y any longer. Have a great day.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorme View Post
I have been on this forum for a couple of months now. I am constantly seeing the threads of "Can I tow this?" In my opinion, if you have to ask, then yes it is. Towing a trailer is not an easy feat by any stretch, it takes years of practice to get proficient and comfortable with it. Why do the majority of people insist on pushing the limits of their tow vehicles and making it even more dangerous and difficult. I have always bought big trucks, knowing that I am going to have an RV, or even my 36' race trailer. There has never been an question of is that too much. If you bought a truck not knowing that you were gonna get a trailer, then that big of a trailer is too much. Start with something smaller and get used to it. See what you like, and don't like about the RV world.

Deep Breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Rant off!.
Well stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Simple, they already have the TV. And when you go shopping, you want a trailer with X features, like a slide out. All the ones they see have numbers that push the limits. They’re already spending big bucks on the trailer and can’t justify/afford more big bucks on a truck.
While this may be true, I would think most are at least thinking of towing, they need to learn to live within the capabilities of their TV!
I pull a 5th wheel, with a long WB TV, because it is far more stable than a TT, if I did pull a TT I would have the longest WB I could get for stability.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
SteveC7010

This thread is about the only place that I am willing to say this:

A lot of folks on forums (everywhere) are lazy. They don't want to expend the effort to search and/or read back through the discussions that have already taken place on the exact same topic that they are asking about. If they would do that, 99% of their questions have already been answered several times over.

Next, we already told so and so that his blue ford ranger four banger really won't tow a 35' fifth wheeler. A week later, someone else wants to know if his **red** ford ranger with a four banger will tow the same size trailer. Gets a bit frustrating for those of us who are willing to offer some help.

RV sales people are dangerous when it comes to towing. They only think dry weight of the trailer and do not consider any of the other critical factors. Most first time RV buyers believe them, sadly.

The truck manufacturers have created a false sense of security by upping their tow ratings so much on half ton trucks. Yes, your Ford F150 will pull 11,000 pounds, but those two rear D rated tires can't take the weight of that 2,000 fifth wheel pin for very long.

I think I have said enough.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Mighty Ming

Well said Festus...,tk u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
johnnyrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
This thread is about the only place that I am willing to say this:

A lot of folks on forums (everywhere) are lazy. They don't want to expend the effort to search and/or read back through the discussions that have already taken place on the exact same topic that they are asking about. If they would do that, 99% of their questions have already been answered several times over.

Next, we already told so and so that his blue ford ranger four banger really won't tow a 35' fifth wheeler. A week later, someone else wants to know if his **red** ford ranger with a four banger will tow the same size trailer. Gets a bit frustrating for those of us who are willing to offer some help.

RV sales people are dangerous when it comes to towing. They only think dry weight of the trailer and do not consider any of the other critical factors. Most first time RV buyers believe them, sadly.

The truck manufacturers have created a false sense of security by upping their tow ratings so much on half ton trucks. Yes, your Ford F150 will pull 11,000 pounds, but those two rear D rated tires can't take the weight of that 2,000 fifth wheel pin for very long.

I think I have said enough.
Steve,

When I first signed up here I thought that the people in here were great. I asked a question that had already been answered elsewhere in the forum and was corrected gently by a member. I had already searched the question that I asked but found no previous answer in the archive so I asked. Some of us are here to get information on things that we are just beginning to learn. Although some of the guys here who have been RV'ing for a long period of time get irritated with us noobies, we appreciate the ones that stop and take the time to answer our inane questions anyway. It gives us rookies a piece of mind to hear that someone who has been doing this for twenty years thinks that our setup will work. Instead of ranting about it on someone's thread wouldn't it just be easier to not answer and move on to another thread that interests and/or challenges you personally? There is no rule that you have to answer a member's question once you have read it, just move on and shake your fist at your computer screen next time. I will attempt to not ask any questions that have already been asked and we can all get along in one big happy Keystone family!

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrose View Post
Steve,

When I first signed up here I thought that the people in here were great. I asked a question that had already been answered elsewhere in the forum and was corrected gently by a member. I had already searched the question that I asked but found no previous answer in the archive so I asked. Some of us are here to get information on things that we are just beginning to learn. Although some of the guys here who have been RV'ing for a long period of time get irritated with us noobies, we appreciate the ones that stop and take the time to answer our inane questions anyway. It gives us rookies a piece of mind to hear that someone who has been doing this for twenty years thinks that our setup will work. Instead of ranting about it on someone's thread wouldn't it just be easier to not answer and move on to another thread that interests and/or challenges you personally? There is no rule that you have to answer a member's question once you have read it, just move on and shake your fist at your computer screen next time. I will attempt to not ask any questions that have already been asked and we can all get along in one big happy Keystone family!
Johnny,

Steve (and myself to a certain extent) have answered questions multiple times in the same (and different) forums. I've seen Steve take the time to look up a website with a picture of what was in question to more fully make his answer understandable. He has the patience of a "saint" at times.... If you reread what he just said here in response to the discussion, you'll see that he starts his reply with: "This thread is about the only place that I am willing to say this:" then he goes on to explain his point. He does take time to answer questions in threads, sometimes the same quesiton in 2 or 3 threads in the same week. If I can defend him for a moment, it's not that he doesn't want to answer the question, rather it's that he's already answered it yesterday, the day before and last week...... Sure it gets frustrating at times, but if you'll look at Steve's demonstrated record of responses,,, He keeps answering "over and over again" even though as he said, he vented in "this thread only"

Look for his next response to a "noobie's" question, I'll betcha it will have the same level of patience and thoughtful response as the last time he answered that same question.....

Just sayin' .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
f6bits

I just looked at the Towing section and there are no stickies. It’d be nice to have a basic writeup describing all the numbers and how they work together. I’d do it, but it’s my lunch time and I’m hungry. I’m just itching to throw some stuff out there as a framework:

Tow Vehicle
Base Weight
Curb Weight
GVWR
GAWR Front
GAWR Rear
GCVWR
Cargo Capacity
Wheelbase

Trailer
UVW
CCC
Gross Weight
Tongue Weight
Length

Am I missing any specs? I’m trying to stay away from horsepower and torque because they *should* be part of what the manufacturer uses to determine capacities.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
johnnyrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Johnny,

Steve (and myself to a certain extent) have answered questions multiple times in the same (and different) forums. I've seen Steve take the time to look up a website with a picture of what was in question to more fully make his answer understandable. He has the patience of a "saint" at times.... If you reread what he just said here in response to the discussion, you'll see that he starts his reply with: "This thread is about the only place that I am willing to say this:" then he goes on to explain his point. He does take time to answer questions in threads, sometimes the same quesiton in 2 or 3 threads in the same week. If I can defend him for a moment, it's not that he doesn't want to answer the question, rather it's that he's already answered it yesterday, the day before and last week...... Sure it gets frustrating at times, but if you'll look at Steve's demonstrated record of responses,,, He keeps answering "over and over again" even though as he said, he vented in "this thread only"

Look for his next response to a "noobie's" question, I'll betcha it will have the same level of patience and thoughtful response as the last time he answered that same question.....

Just sayin' .....
JRTJH,

I agree 100% with you. I think Steve is a great guy and I have enjoyed more than one of his excellently executed responses to many a question here on the forum. That only makes me feel worse about asking questions here. I can now see the eyes rolling on the veterans while answering what they feel is a simple question. Well, it's not a simple question to me. All I am saying is that there isn't really a need to stop and say what a stupid question, or what a redundant question it is, when all you really have to do is say it to yourself at your computer and move on to the next redundant question. Why take the time out of your busy day to stop and tell someone what a terrible and redundant question they have asked? It just seems like a waste of time for people who are obviously very well read and smart on the subject of RV's as well as very eager to help their fellow RVers. It is a step in the wrong direction is all and makes everyone look bad. Steve I meant no disrespect to you. Your posts have helped me more than once already and I have only been on here for a few weeks. I just think that we would all be better served by skipping the posts that irk us and move on to ones that we can affect positively. Can we all agree on that at least?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
f6bits

I can see Steve’s point. Too often, people aren’t willing to put in the slightest bit of effort before asking a question.

When I have a question, I first try Google, then the search here. Searching can be tricky if you can’t easily describe the issue. I think that towing capabilities are tricky to figure out and I don’t mind people asking them if they at least make an effort to describe their vehicle. That’s why I think it’d help if there was a sticky on the topic.

Wandering down memory lane when I worked at Trak Auto (parts store), people would come in needing spark plugs. “What size engine?” I'd ask. “I think it’s a V8.” That happened on a weekly basis.

Here’s an article that’s great for techies, but applies here as well:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I think a part of the "situation" (I wouldn't call it a problem) is that quite a few folks ("noobies") aren't really that familiar with the forum layout, some don't even know there is a search feature. They find this place through a Google search and when they click on it, they start reading the newest posts and realize people ask questions and other people answer them. The "noobie" has quesitons, so he/she tries to ask one and finds that they can't unless they "join the free forum" They think, OK, type in a few blocks, pick a password and "VOILA" they ask their question. Someone answers, the "NOOBIE" is happy. Along comes "NOOBIE #2" same scenario, same question, same answer...... Along comes "NOOBIE #3" same scenario, same question BUT an "old timer" chooses to remind him/her that there's a search feature and "NOOBIE #3" feels he's been "scolded"

Another common "situation" is the noobie doesn't know enough about RV's to even know what to search for, so the search feature may as well not even be there as they'd never find what they are looking for because they don't know what to "call it"

I'm sure there are a number of other situations that occur, these are only the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Sure, NOOBIE's are welcome, Many of them (us) have valuable information to exchange and I've learned things from someone just entering the RV world just as I've learned from those with more experience.

I don't think of this as a "problem" but rather a "situation". I belong to forums from Tractors to Trailers (and a host of things on either side of those "T's" and in every one of those "other forums" I see the same comments made.... "Use the search feature, we've already discussed that, just go look for the answer, it's there hundreds of times" That comment is very easily interpreted as, "Go away and don't bother us, you're question isn't important to us"

Is that any way to welcome a "NOOBIE" ??? My answer is "no it's not." We are all in this together and who knows, the next time you go camping, one of those "NOOBIE's" may well be your next lot neighbor and turn out to be a great friend.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think a part of the "situation" (I wouldn't call it a problem) is that quite a few folks ("noobies") aren't really that familiar with the forum layout, some don't even know there is a search feature. They find this place through a Google search and when they click on it, they start reading the newest posts and realize people ask questions and other people answer them. The "noobie" has quesitons, so he/she tries to ask one and finds that they can't unless they "join the free forum" They think, OK, type in a few blocks, pick a password and "VOILA" they ask their question. Someone answers, the "NOOBIE" is happy. Along comes "NOOBIE #2" same scenario, same question, same answer...... Along comes "NOOBIE #3" same scenario, same question BUT an "old timer" chooses to remind him/her that there's a search feature and "NOOBIE #3" feels he's been "scolded"

Another common "situation" is the noobie doesn't know enough about RV's to even know what to search for, so the search feature may as well not even be there as they'd never find what they are looking for because they don't know what to "call it"

I'm sure there are a number of other situations that occur, these are only the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Sure, NOOBIE's are welcome, Many of them (us) have valuable information to exchange and I've learned things from someone just entering the RV world just as I've learned from those with more experience.

I don't think of this as a "problem" but rather a "situation". I belong to forums from Tractors to Trailers (and a host of things on either side of those "T's" and in every one of those "other forums" I see the same comments made.... "Use the search feature, we've already discussed that, just go look for the answer, it's there hundreds of times" That comment is very easily interpreted as, "Go away and don't bother us, you're question isn't important to us"

Is that any way to welcome a "NOOBIE" ??? My answer is "no it's not." We are all in this together and who knows, the next time you go camping, one of those "NOOBIE's" may well be your next lot neighbor and turn out to be a great friend.
Well stated!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
johnnyrose

Group Hug

JRTJH,

I think that was very well stated. If you were here right now I would give you a great big hug! We just need to put this all behind us and move forward. Let's not quibble anymore! Let's just help each other out the best we can and do what we came to this forum to do, help each other and camp! VIVA LA OUTDOORS!!! VIVA LA KEYSTONE!!!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I'm camping right now in my awesome Avalanche.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
johnnyrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I'm camping right now in my awesome Avalanche.
I wish I was camping right now in my awesome Cougar...but it is in for A/C repair. SAD, you can camp for both of us this weekend!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrose View Post
I wish I was camping right now in my awesome Cougar...but it is in for A/C repair. SAD, you can camp for both of us this weekend!
Sitting by the campfire right now thinking of my keystone friends.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Sitting by the campfire right now thinking of my keystone friends.
BAAAAA HUMBUGGGGGG LOL Today (actually yesterday) was the first really nice day we've had since the March spring that lasted only a couple of days. So, trailer is now dewinterized, everything survived (havent checked the AC yet, too cold) and we're getting ready to head to the lake in a week or so. First, I have to get the boat ready, walleye season opens in 5 days.... YIPPEEEEE Spring is finally here Look out campgrounds, one of your "terrors" is about to arrive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
johnnyrose

I am from Michigan too! I miss fishing in the big lakes. NC has had great camping weather since about February though. You take the good with the bad I guess!!