Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Jseitz

Champion Generators

I apologize if this is an old topic. I haven't mastered the search process yet. I am looking at a Champion 3800 watt duel fuel model 76533 4750 starting and 3800 running watt capacity AND. The Champion duel fuel 7500 watt model 100153. I have a Cougar 29 with 2 A/C units and 50 amp service. Any advice, recommendations, warnings?? I will use the generators for boondock trips.
Thanks
Jim
Jseitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I am pretty sure that both of the gens you are looking at only have 30amp output. If you plan on running two a/cs continuously consider the fuel you will need to carry. A CG with full hookups may wind up being a bargain. Also be aware of reduced output on propane. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseitz View Post
I apologize if this is an old topic. I haven't mastered the search process yet. I am looking at a Champion 3800 watt duel fuel model 76533 4750 starting and 3800 running watt capacity AND. The Champion duel fuel 7500 watt model 100153. I have a Cougar 29 with 2 A/C units and 50 amp service. Any advice, recommendations, warnings?? I will use the generators for boondock trips.
Thanks
Jim

If you want all the comforts of life you may want to consider a Diesel generator capable of 230V 50A and feed off a auxiliary tank in the bed of your truck
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The Champion 3800 watt duel fuel model 76533 is an "open frame construction type generator" it is NOT an inverter generator and in use, it will be substantially louder than most inverter generators. You will not be a "campground friendly RV'er" if you use that generator in a crowded campground. It operates at 3600 RPM "full time" and produces "maximum noise" whether there is a load or not. It does not "throttle down" when the electrical demand decreases as with the typical inverter generator.

As for whether it will operate two air conditioners, no it will not. It will operate one rooftop A/C (13.5 or 15K) and you'll need to turn the A/C to fan only to operate the Microwave.

It's really not a good choice for RVing, although it can be used for the purpose.

The 100153 is the same type "construction generator" and produces even more noise than the above unit. Neither is suitable for campground use and this one doesn't meet national park noise requirements (64dB)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 AM   #5
The Old Fogies

Model #100233
3400-Watt Inverter
This is the generator we use. It is quiet and you can run one A/C. We used it at the Balloon Festival and a couple other campgrounds last year.
The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
Jseitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Champion 3800 watt duel fuel model 76533 is an "open frame construction type generator" it is NOT an inverter generator and in use, it will be substantially louder than most inverter generators. You will not be a "campground friendly RV'er" if you use that generator in a crowded campground. It operates at 3600 RPM "full time" and produces "maximum noise" whether there is a load or not. It does not "throttle down" when the electrical demand decreases as with the typical inverter generator.

As for whether it will operate two air conditioners, no it will not. It will operate one rooftop A/C (13.5 or 15K) and you'll need to turn the A/C to fan only to operate the Microwave.

It's really not a good choice for RVing, although it can be used for the purpose.

The 100153 is the same type "construction generator" and produces even more noise than the above unit. Neither is suitable for campground use and this one doesn't meet national park noise requirements (64dB)
Thank you for the feedback. Good to know. I am not planning on using any generator at a campground. Even 30amp service is manageable and most state sites have that. I do want to be a good camping neighbor. The 100153 does have a 50 amp rv connection. But the weight is 75lbs more than the 76533 which only has a 30 amp rv connection. I didn't realize the generators didn't throttle down. I wouldn't want to hear that noise either. Thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.
Jseitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:00 AM   #7
German Shepherd Guy

I too have been looking for a good camping generator. Seems the inverter style are the only ones that operate at a decibel level that is appropriate, but they are expensive in comparison to contractor styles . I live at 8,000 ft and almost all our camping is above 6,000 ft, so there is a significant loss of wattage due to elevation. I believe that I will have to bite the bullet and go with an inverter style generator paralleled with a second one in order to get the wattage needed to operate the AC unit. But are two 59 - 62 decibel units running better than a single unit that puts out 68 - 70 decibels?

Anyone with experience at higher altitude camping and generators? Am I right in thinking I will need to parallel in order to get enough wattage?

13.5K AC unit.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I too have been looking for a good camping generator. Seems the inverter style are the only ones that operate at a decibel level that is appropriate, but they are expensive in comparison to contractor styles . I live at 8,000 ft and almost all our camping is above 6,000 ft, so there is a significant loss of wattage due to elevation. I believe that I will have to bite the bullet and go with an inverter style generator paralleled with a second one in order to get the wattage needed to operate the AC unit. But are two 59 - 62 decibel units running better than a single unit that puts out 68 - 70 decibels?

Anyone with experience at higher altitude camping and generators? Am I right in thinking I will need to parallel in order to get enough wattage?

13.5K AC unit.
The majority of our summer camping is at higher altitudes. I'm not a believer in the altitude = poor generator performance. Our 3kw Dometic (Chinese rebrand) has never faulted running at 8k ft even with the A/C start up.
If the generator is running at normal RPMs it is generating spec watts. We use the same generator when camping on the coast as have seen no difference in it's operation. IMHO if the generator isn't running well at altitude, it needs to be tuned. And, yes, a single 3kw inverter generator is quieter than two, 2kw inverter generators in parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4968 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	19990  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
JMiller

I’m trying to follow this thread and I’m a little confused. I am by no means an educated man and I have to keep looking back to make sure I’m spelling decibel correctly. But wouldn’t 59-62 decibels be 59-62 decibels regardless of how many generators are involved? Why would 2 running parallel make it louder? Please don’t take this wrong, I am not trying to be rude or sarcastic, just trying to learn.
JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I’m trying to follow this thread and I’m a little confused. I am by no means an educated man and I have to keep looking back to make sure I’m spelling decibel correctly. But wouldn’t 59-62 decibels be 59-62 decibels regardless of how many generators are involved? Why would 2 running parallel make it louder? Please don’t take this wrong, I am not trying to be rude or sarcastic, just trying to learn.
Stereo Effect??
Just kidding. I've never actually taken a db meter and checked. That said I have had the opportunity to camp next to a rig with 2 Honda 2k generators hooked together to run his A/C. When he cut back to just one, it was noticeably quieter.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Wyldfire

Quote:
With that logic a classroom with 1 kid talking should be the same as noise level as a classroom of 30 kids talking.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
Canonman

OK, you made me go back and find the old formulas we used to calculate production noise levels from the "Engineering Tool Box".

Adding Equal Signal Levels
The total signal level in decibel from equal signal sources can be calculated as

Lt = 10 log (n S / Sref)

= 10 log (S / Sref) + 10 log (n)

= Ls + 10 log (n) (1)

where

Lt = total signal level (dB)

S = signal (signal unit)

Sref = signal reference (signal unit)

n = number of sources

Ls = signal level from each single source (dB)

The signal units depends on the nature of the signal - W for power, Pa for pressure and so on.

Note! - adding sound pressure levels.

Example - Total Sound Power from Two Identical Fans
For sound power it is common to use 10-12 W as the reference sound power. Total sound power from two identical fans each generating 1 W in noise power can be calculated as

Lt = 10 log (2 (1 W) / (1 10-12 W))

= 123 dB

Sound power and sound power level are often used to specify the noise or sound emitted from technical equipment like fans, pumps or other machines. The "sound" measured with microphones or sensors (meters) are sound pressure.

Adding Equal Signals Units Calculator

S - signal (signal unit)

Sref - signal reference (signal unit)

n - number of signal sources

Adding Equal Signal Levels (decibels) Calculator

Ls - signal level from single source (decibel, dB)

n - number of signal sources

Adding equal signal sources can be expressed graphically

Decibel - adding equal sound level sources

Number of
Sources/ Increase in Sound Power Level
(dB)
2/ 3
3/ 4.8
4/ 6
5/ 7
10/ 10
15/ 11.8
20/ 13

Bottom line, Adding two identical sources (doubling the signal) will increase the total signal level by 3 dB.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Apples and oranges.
Two units running in parallel would be running at full rpm to operate A/C.
One unit running to charge batteries and low draw items will cycle to idle and lower db level.

Taking a long trip with my DW is always pleasant.
Same trip with DW and MIL .... Well, you get my drift.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
JMiller

Well, Canonman reminded me why I became a cop and not an engineer. After reading all that I was more confused than when I started. So I’m going to go with what hankpage said. 2 running in full mode is going to be louder than 1 running in eco mode. Thanks guys, been fun, informational and hopefully we all smiled a little.
JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
Canonman

All in good FUN...
And an exercise I only hope I never have to re-live
Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #16
RCW

Spent several days "dry" camping in the Yellowstone and Grand Teton area last year. We used a Champion 2000. It was quiet and usually took about an hr a day to recharge our batteries. No problems running at altitude. Champion sells a re-jetting kit for the larger generators to run them at altitude. I would keep in mind that at those elevations you will most likely not need ac.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
unyalli

The champion 100319 parallel kit is the only one I found providing power to both legs of a 50 amp RV. The amount of power is dependent on which generators you use. I have a single 3400 dual fuel I only run on the RV quick connect propane system. Altitude compensating.

Champion inverter generators.

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #18
Phil Saran

I've only owned the Honda 2000i generators (2) run in tandem.

First set was bought new to the tune of about $2000.00 back in about
2008. Sold everything off when we went to a motorhome.

Now we have a 5th wheel and I bought two more Honda 2000i generators
used at about $700.00 each. Did a oil change on each and we're ready to
go.

My main reason for the Honda 2000i is weight, at under 50 pounds each I
can pick them up and put them in the bed of my truck. Bigger generators
not so easy to do with a bad back.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
Modifier

The term decibel or db (technical abbreviation) is a sound level measurement and it is very positively cumulative. Are two car horns blowing as quite as one horn? Of course not. Two of anything making noise is louder than one thing making a noise.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #20
FlyingAroundRV

Camping at altitude WRT to generator operation:
With an inverter generator running in eco mode, the generator motor runs only as hard as it needs to run to produce the wattage required by the load. At altitude, the air will be a bit thinner and so the fuel mixture going into the engine will be a bit richer but the regulation system will still try to set the engine at the same RPM required to match the load.
Below about 10,000 feet, the effects of altitude on a normally aspirated engine aren't too pronounced. We fly our normally aspirated engine regularly at altitudes of 5-7K above sea level without noticing much performance falloff. But at 10,000 feet amsl, we start to notice a degradation in the engine's performance due to oxygen starvation. In aviation, 12,000 feet is the level where you start to require an oxygen mask to fly in an unpressurized airplane.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator