Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
wkndWor1

Bigger, better rims and tires for a new 3220BH

Hello everyone,
We have purchased but not picked up yet a new passport 3220BH. Our new travel trailer will only be used on long weekend family trips and I cant imagine more that 400 miles per round trip at the longest. My guess is we wont put 5K miles on the rig this year. I have spent a considerable amount of time looking for info on the wheels and tires that come on the 2018 Passport 3220BH. As I over prepare, I am looking at getting a few spares to mount up on the rear bumper. While looking at the pictures and videos of the 3220 I saw that the rims were just plain small. I am worried about the smaller wheels and tires that come stock on this rig. I am begging for intel and info on better options or solid info on these rims and if they are sufficient or if I should upgrade to something better right out of the hole and not invest money on spares that are not what we will end up running.
I will absolytely run a TPMS .
Thanks so much for any and all input.
wkndWor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
notanlines

I don't know what brand tire you will receive with your new RV, but there is plenty of info brand-wise on this site using the search function. I'm curious why one might need a "few rear-mounted spares" unless heading on an extended trip to Alaska. The roads that bad in Michigan? Or Ontario?
On edit: New York?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
wkndWor1

NY and yes the roads are bad here. Many of the flats that I have seen over the years on the interstate are not sidewall problems, they are from debris. That being said often both tires on a side are flat. Just looking to be prepared.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
busterbrown

A few spares? Don't know why you want a few spare tires unless you had a long Alaska or Mexican excursion planned. A single quality spare tire should suffice for your camping needs. Also, you'll have to be diligent of the weight you attach to the rear bumper. Tires and the mounts can exceed 50 lbs easily. I don't believe the manufacturer has rated those bumpers to carry more than 1 tire.

I own the 3220's cousin, a 2017 Bullet 308BHS, which was outfitted with OEM Trailer King tires in size 205/75/14 LRC. That gave me barely 100 lbs of reserve capacity if I loaded the trailer up to it's GVWR. That being said, I believe the manufacturers are required to provide at least a 10% reserve capacity margin going forward in 2018. In my eyes, that's still not enough.

I moved up a wheel size to 15" and mounted Load range E Carlisle tires sized 225/75/15 to my new 5200# axles. It was a package deal last year as 2 of my mono leaf springs snapped in half. Tire brand is also important as many of us know that quality is NOT equal. Carlisle, Goodyear, and Maxxis have good reputations on these forums.

Also, use metal valve stems when you buy new tires and wheels. Your TPMS sensors will appreciate it.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
travelin texans

Personally I wouldn't mount 1 spare on those flimsy bumpers let alone several. If you do you'll need several more in the back of your truck for when the POS bumper falls off leaving the others along side the road or under the person behind you car.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #6
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Personally I wouldn't mount 1 spare on those flimsy bumpers let alone several. If you do you'll need several more in the back of your truck for when the POS bumper falls off leaving the others along side the road or under the person behind you car.
Yep, I agree. The thin walled metal stands no chance against the brutal forces experienced on tail of these long trailers. I relocated mine underneath the frame with a BAL hide-a-spare. Took off the bumper grill too.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
CWtheMan

If your trailer is a 2018 or later year model most of the negative comments on RV trailer forums about wheels & tires is obsolete. The reason being; RVIA increased tire load capacity recommendations.

Late model trailers will have at the least, 10% upgraded wheel/tire assemblies. You should check and make sure of your trailer's wheel/tire load carrying abilities.

Many of the ST tire brands that take a beating in the forums do so because of being so close to their maximum load carrying abilities. IMO, with the new RVIA recommendations in place that sort of reporting will trail-off.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #8
wkndWor1

New tires and rims?

Thank you!! This was the information I was looking for. If they are upgraded and tough enough then I will put 2 spares of the same size under the rig or on a built mount on the back. I could easily weld up a cross bar style hitch that will go under the bumper, welded to the frame that will support the bumper and allow me to carry 2 spares or bikes.
Thanks again!!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndWor1 View Post
Thank you!! This was the information I was looking for. If they are upgraded and tough enough then I will put 2 spares of the same size under the rig or on a built mount on the back. I could easily weld up a cross bar style hitch that will go under the bumper, welded to the frame that will support the bumper and allow me to carry 2 spares or bikes.
Thanks again!!
I carry 2 spares, one on a rim and one with no rim. I figured I’d get stuck in a town with nothing open, or with limited tire sizes. I have a few pry bars and a maul so in theory I could change a tire on/off a rim.

When I had my travel trailer, I got rid of OEM and found a great deal on Maxxis on eBay. Schwab’s wasn’t happy to mount them but they couldn’t come within $250 of the eBay price.

I’ve lost 3 tires on one trip before (Oregon to Vegas) , and I am religious about air pressure, they had to be lousy or old tires.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3220bh, tires