Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

The biggest issue that I see with changing "frameless windows" for "frame type windows" is the radius curves in the corners of each different frame type. You'll need to find windows with a "outside flange" that will cover the radius cutout of the frameless windows. Typically, the frameless windows have a larger flange (glass + aluminum frame) than the flange on the "conventional windows".. When you take a "deeper or shallower radius" and couple that with a smaller outside flange, many of the "conventional windows" that measure the same size won't have a flange that completely covers the corner radius of the trailer cutout opening....

In other words, on many types of windows, if you switch the style of window, the new ones either won't fit the corner radius or the radius is too big for the new windows, even though they measure the "exact same size" as the ones you took out.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #22
Wyldfire

Love the looks, hated them after the first hot day evening. No cross ventilation. Camper would not cool off unless the doors were left open. Installed 2 max air fans and now tolerable can use the fans ot suck air through the frame-less windows and cool trailer off.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, the frameless windows radius is different and from looking I suspect the cutout is different as well. That may take some doing to "undo".

As far as frameless (love the look) vs standard windows; the frameless look nicer to me but the reality is they provide very little airflow due to the small openings they provide. That wasn't really a big thing to us initially but over time, when you have to turn on the AC on a cool day because you can't get any flow through those little gun turret slits....we became fans of the standard sliding windows again.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #24
DBTexas

On this subject of frameless windows, I'm not sure if I should pick up on this thread or start a new question. I'll ask my question here, and let me know if this should be a separate post.

Last Saturday evening I was sitting outside under my awning when one of my living room windows exploded outward in thousand tiny pieces. At first I thought it had taken a gunshot. But I hadn't heard a shot, and I saw the screen fully intact ... which thankfully prevented the myriad of glass particles from going inside. And as I was sitting right outside the trailer (thankfully not right under the window), I did not notice anything striking the window.

Has anyone experience such an explosive window failure? And what would cause it?

To further the bad news, the RV dealer says nearly all RV window glass comes from China and is now taking nearly 2 months to fill an order. Ughhhh....
DBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:27 AM   #25
Howie

I had success last year with a window that broke by contacting a local glass company. They came to RV, measured, ordered and replaced the window in a couple of days.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:00 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

If the order/delivery time is excessive, you can buy a 1/8" thick lexan sheet from Lowe's, mark the lexan by placing it on the trailer side, cut the lexan, remove the existing window frame and use a good adhesive to attach the lexan to the frame, let it dry for a day, reinstall the window as a temporary measure until the replacement arrives.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #27
Whitewolf

Apparently we have the best of both worlds. All the windows are frameless with the exception of the end window in the main slide and the bedroom. Those are vertical slides.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #28
DMK

I can tell you about a recent experience I have had replacing a broken window. Kinro the company that originally made the frameless windows for my 2013 Raptor was acquired by LCI. Nobody stocks these windows, they are made to order. Having a VIN doesn't do any good, to know the exact window to have made you need to pull the old window assembly out and find the label with the part number on the frame (you need to pull the assembly to see the info as it's on the inside) that's unfortunately the RV industry for you. By the way It took approx 30 days to get the window assy after being ordered. In my case the window had shattered and I was able to use packaging tape to hold it together until the new one arrived.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:56 AM   #29
Gizmo’s mom

Broken frameless window replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
We love ours as it is the second RV that we have had them. The last one suffered a broken window due to the idiot driving the tow vehicle. Really simple repair, tech measured window, had it cut and installed in minutes. We really like the way they open as you don't have to worry if it rains and they are left open.
Hi Howie, by chance was that tech here in Or? We just broke a window and need to replace it today if possible since it’s supposed to rain tomorrow possibly. Ugh!
Gizmo’s mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:52 AM   #30
Howie

Hi, yes it was in Oregon City but I think the company is probably listed in Portland but not sure. I believe it was King Glass or similar name. I don't have a receipt to verify but King rings a bell as part of the name. Hope that helps.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #31
agatehunter

agatehunter

Hello sandy43, my old 5th wheel, manufacturer will remain anonymous, had the and I detested them. They don't open far enough to get any type of breeze flowing. My other dealer sent to people that I'm aware of to a auto body shop for repairs. We dry camp about 90% of the time so it is hard to close everything up and turn on the AC. We are really glad our 2021 Keystone Sprinter 30rl has the old style windows. That being said it wouldn't have been a deal breaker though.
agatehunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows