Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Johnnyfry

On the road!!!

Off this morning with the 318SAB & Ram 3500 Cummins. Since we are going for 5months+. I suspect that it is heavier than last trip. Have to stop at a Cat scale tomorrow.

Zanesville tonight at Wolfies campground, great place, quiet, off the highway, friendly, full hookups AND $30 bucks! WiFi is free too. Great Wx so far, but coming over the WVa mountains I found that I could hold speed on a 4% grade, needed to intermittently apply brakes on 6%. no white knuckles on a 2 mile grade, but it convinced me that an exhaust brake might be in order before tackling the Rockies.

Goal is Seattle by 8 Aug for a bicycle ride around the Olympic peninsula.

Regards,
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, we almost passed each other today. We left Findlay, OH about 9AM headed toward Garner, NC. Went through Lancaster, down to Beckley, WV. We're "holed up" at Lake Stephens Campground for the night, then tomorrow on to Garner. Like you, we pulled a couple of mountain passes today. We managed to keep up with everyone, even the State Police, so I suppose the truck/camper will make it. Coming down the passes, tapping the brakes downshifts the transmission and we managed to make it down both the passes without having to use the brakes except at the very bottom of one where there was a 45 MPH curve. We were clipping along about 60 or so and I just didn't want to wind up sideways.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, maybe we'll pull into a rest area somewhere, who knows.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
2011 keystone

You have to love the WV mtns WV is my home town. That is why I bought a dodge ram 3500 cummins td even tho my rv is not that heavy
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Johnnyfry

WVA mountains

Hey 2011,

Absolutely, loved every minute of it!
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #5
antiqfreq

We put on our Banks Exhaust brake before we headed out fulltiming at the beginning of 2010. Best idea we ever had!

Could NOT have made the grades we had to without it.

Try going up Teton Pass and you'll see what I mean ....

It got a little more than some others but it works awesome!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I know what you mean by wanting more control on the downhill stretch

We lived in Colorado in the early to mid 70's and towed a 20' Jayco TT with a Dodge 2WD pickup. I remember many switchbacks on Berthod and Loveland passes where we'd see the back of the trailer as we rounded the next switchback. The western side of Eisenhower Tunnel was about a 8 mile 7% grade with the left lane right next to the guard rail overlooking a 50' drop and the eastbound lanes below. That sure was a "nice" and "thrilling" ride in winter when we went to Columbine for elk and deer hunting. But I still think the scariest "ride" (like in any amusement park) was Rabbit Ears Pass down into Streamboat Springs. It may be different now, but back then it was a 8 and 9% grade and there was a 35 MPH right hand curve (almost a corner) at the bottom. That was long before Steamboat Springs became a destination resort and back then, there were maybe 3 or 4 places to stay, 2 ski slopes (Both with rope lifts only) and one bank. Busy, back then, meant that there were 2 or 3 tables with people at them in the diner..... Ahhhh, but you could drink coffee all day for a quarter, there were as many horses on main street as cars and everyone wore a stetson

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote