Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
reubenray

Bittersweet Stocking First RV

About a year ago we (DW & myself) started thinking about a RV. About this same time my Mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. We was both temporarily laid off (we both work for the same company). So we made it a point to go back and forth from the New Orleans area to my Parent's house as much as possible (5 hour one way trip). We would make trips every three weeks to take her for surgeries and chemo treatment. I would stay with my Father while my wife would take care of my Mother.

We finally decided on a fifth wheel in between visits. Once we went back to work we would travel from Dallas back and forth every two weeks to see and help them as much as possible. My Mother's sister actually moved in with them to help. We had to cancel the purchase due to my Father passing on February 20 worrying about my Mother (heart disease). We eventually bought our Keystone Cougar two weeks later. Our plan was to get my Mother out and on some trips, but that did not happen.

She went back to her Doctor and her cancer has spread and she gave up. She passed away on April 7 of more of a broken heart than cancer. They was married for 63 years. After the funeral on Tuesday my two brothers and my sister started to pack up the house. We ended up getting a ton of stuff for our Cougar. When we was kids we would go camping in an pop-up camper.

We was able to get towels, cups, glasses, dishes, bath mats, cookware and a ton of other stuff for our fifth wheel. So when we finally get to make our maiden trip they both will be with us in Spirit. I say us mainly because my Mother and my DW were best friends more than in-laws.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
cumminsdad08

sorry to hear about your parents, but it is nice to get your trailer ready to go. it was kinda expensive to get everything to stock ours up, more then i was expecting anyway. on another note, i find it kinda interesting cleaning out your parents home. i remember when my dad passed, we had a ball cleaning out his place. we found all the old stuff that we forgot about, and couldn't figure out half the stuff he had stashed away. only down side was auctioning off the old home. but all in all, i hope you enjoy your trailer and have tons of memories in it.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Jim & Kay

Reubenray,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your parents, we do understand what you and your DW are going thru. The one consolation we can offer is the pain will heal with time but the wonderful memories will be forever with you and I am a firm believer that although they are no longer visible they are still with you.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
reubenray

One item that we got that will be used a lot was a coffee pot. Neither of my parents drank coffee, but we did. They got a coffee pot just for us and made sure there was coffee whenever we came over.

The house had a lot of magnolia pictures and silk plants. When we built our house in 2005 my Mother and Wife bought a lot of magnolia themed pictures for it. We was able to get most of the ones that was in my parents house. Will we be able to hang the small/lightweight pictures in the Cajun Riviera? My Mother had most of these stuck to the walls instead of just hanging from hooks. We could do this also.

We was lucky that a neighborhood childhood friend wanted to move back to the area and wants to buy the house. It will be just three houses down from he was raised at.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
jsmith948

Sorry for your loss. It is never easy losing a parent.
What a sad and touching story. Thank you for sharing
Good luck with the new fiver

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Alpinecummin

Sorry about your loss. We went through the samething in the past two year. We lost my mother May 19th, 2010, and her husband passed July 5th, 2011. It was very difficult cleaming out the house and trying to find a place for everything they let behind. We are still trying to sell the house that has been on the market for almost two years now. It is a six year old house and is new condition and I absolutely refuse to let it go for 30 percent less then the PVA value. So we still have it and have been blessed that it is paid for and we are not in situation where we would be forced to let it go at an unreasonable lost after lossing them.

Everything will work out in the long run, take your time in settling everything with your family and go on a long camping trip! You earned it!

1977 Avon
2003 Jayco Designer 32FKS
2011 Alpine 3640RL
2007 Dodge 3500
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote