Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
kimanderson98642

Whats do you use to monitor trans temps

I tow with a Dodge 2500 with a Turbo Diesel and I would like to better monitor the Trans Temps. I don't really need or want a programmer so no need to spend extra money on those. What do you all use to watch your Trans Temps, Exhaust Gas Temps and other vital Info.

Thanks for your Opinions and advise.
Home Base Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Keystone Cougar 292rks
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins
kimanderson98642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
KenBob

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/at...model/ram-2500
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
X-Treme

I use an Edge Insight CTS. It's like a programmer, but strictly a monitor. Allows you to choose MANY different parameters. Plugs right into the OBDII port. Easy peasy japanesey. Works GREAT!!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
rnkburg

If you just want gauges check out the options at www.egauges.com

I have the autometer ultra lite in my dodge, the Chevy I have a tranny gauge and one on the edge monitor. I have a 3n1 gauge in that truck on top of edge that monitors egt, boost, and fuel pressure

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Hansel

I have a "A" pillar mounted ISSPRO gauge kit that monitors my EGT's and transmission temp.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Bluewater

I just look at my trans temp gague right in the dash...came standard equip.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
Jim W

Since you have a 06; I would recommend either the A-Pillar mount with the Boost, EGT’s, and Transmission gauges or just the dash pod and two gauges EGT’S and transmission. The pods can be factory match in color and the gauges can be factory match too. Even if you stock it is good to know what the EGT’s are so you can let the turbo cool down on the 06.

For EGT’s you will need to drill a port in the exhaust manifold for either gauges or a monitor on your 06. I would highly recommend the EGT gauge for your truck regardless if stock or modified.

Now on the transmission gauge you will either need to cut the line and install a port for the probe or use an ACU-Temp Adapter. This mounts on the output line and reads the outgoing transmission oil temperature although the reading will be between 20 and 30 degrees cooler that actual oil temperature. I used this ACU-Temp Adapter for a year before adding a Mag-Hytec pan so the probe is now in the oil pan. See photo below for my set-up.

For the Boost gauge you add a simple boost bolt to the air-horn for this reading.

These can be purchased from Geno's Garage with all of the instructions and the necessary parts required to use them and our factory match gauges.

Jim W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges for 2008 Dodge.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	4825   Click image for larger version

Name:	EGT probe.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	4826  
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
kimanderson98642

Thanks Jim, I love the looks of your setup. I like the simplicity of the edge system but not sure if it is as accurate as the system you have but I will have to look around to find a shop that could quote an install. I have a little mechanical knowledge but I don't know about cutting Tranny lines and drilling out manifolds. Thank you all for your suggestions and now I will get to investigating and shopping.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I got the A-pillar 3 gauge set up years ago. There are many different gauges and I found one that have the same colors and style as the dash gauges, The pillar was painted with spray can matching the dash color. Mine look factory install. Also get them lit, if you drive at night. I watch the tranny and pyro when towing, boost not so much.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
NCCamper

I use an OBD 2 bluetooth scanner, and I have an app called Torque on my Droid phone. It is a really good setup, and fully programmable to scan several outputs from the computer, transmission being the most critical for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

John and Rhinda
Charlotte, NC
2013 Passport 23RB
1999 Chev Silverado
NCCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
KYFamily

I've had the guage pod before and now have the Edge CS to monitor my guages. I love the edge. I can monitor more things than I know what to do with. It also allows me to check my injector balance rates and clear engine codes if any pop up. No mechanical guage will do that.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
hankaye

Howdy All;

I use a ScanGauge II < www.ScanGauge.com >
Very easy to use plugs into the OBDII under the dash
Also has a trip monitor and a performance Monitor you
can set up. Also scans all fault codes and resets them
when you've fixed'em.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFamily View Post
I've had the guage pod before and now have the Edge CS to monitor my guages. I love the edge. I can monitor more things than I know what to do with. It also allows me to check my injector balance rates and clear engine codes if any pop up. No mechanical guage will do that.
I also have the Edge CS. I bought it for better fuel economy, and better towing. It didn't perform the way that I was hoping, but I love the ability to monitor my truck.

Normally I can't see the RPM and MPH because of the steering wheel. I have to peer around the wheel to see how fast I'm going, and what my RPM's are. With the Edge CS, I can quickly see those gauges, and I have the transmission temperature gauge right in the center.

I've always been concerned about the tranny temp and now I can quickly see what the the temp is. The only time that it gave me any concern was last summer. I was pulling across Iowa in 100 degree heat. The transmission got up to 209, but always stayed in the green. I don't know how hot is to hot, but it seemed to be okay, so I just kept going.

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
RGene7001

I use nothing.
Transmission temperature is monitored by vehicle computer unless this is a very old model. In the worse car scenario there should be warning on the screen or limp mode engaged.
Usually there is not much of heat production when torque converter is locked and it stays this way in all times except the moment of gear change or while standing in D or R.
Once I touched my cooling lines after driving about 500 miles over some rolling hills and the incoming was only moderately hot while outgoing ( to the transmission) very close to ambient temperature.
I usually lock out 7 or 6 and 7 gear depending on wind and terrain.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
I use nothing.
Transmission temperature is monitored by vehicle computer unless this is a very old model. In the worse car scenario there should be warning on the screen or limp mode engaged.
The problem is by the time the idiot light is turned on in the truck/car it will be too late to prevent the transmission oil from being damage from heat. The ECM will not protect the transmission since the oil is all ready damage.

I have seen when not towing a high of 230F reading on my transmission gauge for the transmission oil. This occurred doing low speed driving on the Needles highway (87) in SD. I was using the engine exhaust brake and transmission to maintain the Highway speed as we descended the mountain trying not to use the service brakes; so when I need them they would be available to use. So to me the transmission oil gauge is very important as are other gauges that I have added. With an accurate gage you can take preventive action to prevent either further damage or prevent damage to a major component.

When we got home the transmission oil and both of the filters were changed along with the install of a AL MAG-HYTEC pan and the additional amount of 2-1/2 quart oil capacity.

Now when towing I normally see 180F maximum temperature in the transmission oil.

A retired machine design engineer who does not believe in IDIOT lights.

Jim W.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
DirtyOil

I posted this to another "post" concerning tranny temps...

Quote:
Although, Dodge/Chrysler trannys use ATF+4 since 2005, as a full synthetic it has ratings of -65F/-54C to +520F/270C, pre 2005 they used ATF+3. Running at 220C or even 240C for short periods will not hurt the tranny. As the synthetic fluid has a higher flash point then regular tranny fluids, you can run at higher temperatures without fear of "burning up".
The scan gauge or with aftermarket analog gauges (pre cooler line, sensor best place for thermo well and probe) I believe kits are still available at dieselmanor.com, easy to install (they send a great colour, step by step instruction manual for the installation)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #17
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOil View Post
I posted this to another "post" concerning tranny temps...

Although, Dodge/Chrysler trannys use ATF+4 since 2005, as a full synthetic it has ratings of -65F/-54C to +520F/270C, pre 2005 they used ATF+3. Running at 220C or even 240C for short periods will not hurt the tranny. As the synthetic fluid has a higher flash point then regular tranny fluids, you can run at higher temperatures without fear of "burning up".

The scan gauge or with aftermarket analog gauges (pre cooler line, sensor best place for thermo well and probe) I believe kits are still available at dieselmanor.com, easy to install (they send a great colour, step by step instruction manual for the installation)
I will disagree with you that allowing the transmission oil to reach 220C (428F) or even 240C (464F) is not harmful to the transmission oil life.

There is a chart for ATF+4 that show approximate oil life as the heat is increase in the oil of the transmission that is in Fahrenheit. At 175F oil temp you have about 100,000 miles of useful oil life before change is required, at 195F this drops to 50,000 miles and so forth till you reach 415F this is about less than 30 min's of use. ATF+4 has a flash point of 190C (374F).

Here is the link to the chart. http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/ATFTempChart.htm

Jim W.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
DirtyOil

A good bit of information, although it does not state that is ATF+4, which is a full synthetic fluid, nor does it state exactly which ATF fluids (as ATF+4 is not the only synthetic) are at risk due to higher temps. I would believe that chart if those temperatures are sustained temperatures, but to have those sustained temps... you've cooked your tranny a long time ago!

Any fluid will, be it synthetic or otherwise is apt to fail, including engine oils and gear oils if not serviced properly. If one has hit high temps good practice is to change that fluid out as soon as possible. But, then again how many of us with new and older vehicles can actually see transmission temperatures? Newer vehicles with their computer control will signal a warning (CEL) or go into limp mode, now does the warning or limp mode save the tranny or is the warning too late?

If you have a tranny temperature gauge reading and it hits 220-240F down shift. OEM temps are read at the pan, remember the Torque Converter (TQ) produces about 90% of the heat. When the TQ is locked it produces about 10-15% higher temps, then at the pan. And remember this as well, when the fluid leaves the pan to the cooler, it returns at about 130F then flows through the various channels through a pressure regulator and lube the pinions, the thrust washers, bearings, etc, that supports the shafts. OEM warning lights (CEL) or limp modes are set at 260F.

So, if your worried about tranny temps ...as I stated and others as well, install an analog temp guage in the cooler line out from the pan. Monitor the temps, if you see 220-240F downshift, if you see sustained temps in these ranges change out the tranny filter and fluid. If your still seeing higher temps have a transmission shop look at it, its possible that your TQ is shot and needs to be replaced. (normal temps with TQ locked run between 190-200F, stuck in stop-n-go traffic or pulling a load up an incline you can see upwards 240F but then your not always sustaining these temps 100% of the time unless you already have issues with your tranny)

I had an 2005 Ram 3500 with the 48RE tranny I built it up and dyno tested the tranny it was good for 1000hp, my 05 had a rating of 517hp and 1178ftlb torque, triple disc TQ and full billet input/output shafts along with a GM press governor, I use to pull some heavy loads through deep mud and snow. That tranny worked well for over 200,000miles, but then I serviced it at every 20,000miles by replacing the filter and exchanging the fluid. I did see temps at and over 240F several times at the pan, each time I pulled the pan it never ha\d anything for metal fillings or friction material nor did the fluid look burnt!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
kimanderson98642

So much good info here. So if I were to get an Edge Gauge system that plugs into the OBDII. The readings that I would get from the Trans Temp would be lower than the actual high temp in the tranny. I don't know where in the tranny the truck computer is getting the temp reading and what Im looking for as the high end temp to watch for.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #20
DirtyOil

Quote:
I don't know where in the tranny the truck computer is getting the temp reading and what Im looking for as the high end temp to watch for.
Quote:
normal temps with TQ locked run between 190-200F, stuck in stop-n-go traffic or pulling a load up an incline you can see upwards 240F but then your not always sustaining these temps 100% of the time unless you already have issues with your tranny
With the torque converter unlocked you will see lower temps. Going with Edge scan gauge is not a bad idea, monitors other information as well. I would use that or as I mentioned before; a analog gauge especially if you vehicle is not equipped with a EVIC electronic vehicle information center.