Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
twvette

Water storage tank fills when connected to city water port ...

I am a dry camper but recently had first opportunity to connected to city water at RV park. All appeared good but after about 4 hours was told I was spewing water. It was coming out the small vent port next to the water gravity port behind the separate small door. Initially thought I had connected to wrong port in the confusing water panel or had a valve the wrong way. After messing with this for way too long came to conclusion my fill valve is likely leaking so water on city side is leaking into my storage tank. Never seem water come out this breather when filling on the gravity port as it comes out a separate line under the rig by the wheels when gets full so is still a little confusing to me. Sucked to have to use water pump the one trip a year I have connections. Agree it is just my fill valve that is leaking?

As a side note I am also having an issue where my water pump cycles very briefly every hour or so. Have been looking hi and lo for any leaks since purchasing this and found nothing. Am now thinking a leaking fill valve might also be the cause of this as we noticed with the valve in the fill position the water pump turns on. Leaking valve likely the cause for this also? Dealer could not find source so basically left me to deal with this ...

Finally, anyone know what the backside of the fill valve looks like? Would like to know what to buy to bypass the fill as it makes no sense to me to fill from the city port when have gravity fill. Just don't want to deal with this again in the future.

Here are pics of my setup for reference:

(I was connected to city port ... took this when messing around and confused by the fact had a label for fresh water and another for city water which in the end fairly sure is one for the center city port)

twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
canesfan

Well that's interesting. Consider yourself lucky to get one with a gravity fill. They seem to be kind of random anymore. But what's more weird is you have a gravity fill and the valve on the city connection for tank fill.

Anyway, it seems quite a few people are having problems with city water backfilling into their FWT. Some say it might be something in the pump

As for the pump cycling now and then, if you're not seeing any leaks it could very likely be one of the valves. One of the techs told me sometimes they don't seat all the way, even if you have them open/closed all the way. You might try just messing with them. I think it's mainly the city/fill valve that would be the culprit.

And your pump will run if it's on with the valve in the FILL position. I forget this half the time and have to go inside and turn it off.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Well that's interesting. Consider yourself lucky to get one with a gravity fill. They seem to be kind of random anymore. But what's more weird is you have a gravity fill and the valve on the city connection for tank fill.

This is standard ( I know not yours ), ie gravity fill area and an option to also fill FWT using the city water connection. Cost savings on some models involved removing the gravity fill
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Twvette, by your picture looks like you have city water hose connected to your winterize port (top connection port) and your winterize switch is off?? Which I assume in that position your city water is dead ended.

Yes if you overflow your FWT either by filling via gravity fill of city water ( switch in fill position) tank will overflow via the gravity fill port and/or vent. That valve coming out of the belly is to empty your FWT. Would not expect water to come out of there on a overflow?? ( Shut off valve there)

I would not remove that That FWT fill switch vis city water connection. I think better than shoving a hose in the gravity fill hole, my opinion

Added: from top to bottom

Winterize port
City water port
Black tank flush

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
bobbecky

First off, yes, you have your hose connected to the wrong inlet, should be connected to the next port down. The drawing below is a single line drawing I made of our system, which appears to be the same as yours, and is the view from behind the convenience center.

This is the photo of the mess behind the convenience center

The white hose is the line to the fresh water tank. I had the internal check valve fail in the pump last year and cut in the white inline check valve in the lower left area of the photo, because I had water flowing backward through the pump and into the fresh tank.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
frustrated 2016

Sorry I have no help. But I do have this same system and we are trying to fill the holding tanks (have 2) and we do not know how. Can anyone help please.
frustrated 2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
bobbecky

frustrated 2016, next to near impossible to help if you don't give more info, model, year, and anything else that will help with your problem.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
frustrated 2016

We have a 2016 Fuzion 4141. System looks exactly like the picture above but does not have the gravity fill port. Inside on the command center there is a fresh 1 and a fresh 2 tanks. We have tried all three ports and cannot get the tanks to fill.
frustrated 2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated 2016 View Post
We have a 2016 Fuzion 4141. System looks exactly like the picture above but does not have the gravity fill port. Inside on the command center there is a fresh 1 and a fresh 2 tanks. We have tried all three ports and cannot get the tanks to fill.
I have never seen a rig with 2 FWTs ?? remember these control panel are stamped out and used for various model rigs, ie just because you have a panel indicating a certain number tanks does not mean your rig has all those tanks. I do not think you have two FWTs.

As far as how to fill your FWT given you have city water available:

connect city water to your city water connection (second connection port from the top of the picture)

Turn the FWT fill switch to fill from normal and turn water on, city water will be directed into the FWT, when filled turn switch back to Normal

if no city water near by you will need to get water down into the tank using other means. Suggest doing a search say on FWT Fill , there have been many posts as to how other members have tried to accomplished this. example FWT vent, etc.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

You haulers often have 2 FWT's but I have seen just one tank level on the monitor panel. Tanks will equalize so the same amount is in each.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #11
canesfan

Wow, I totally missed the hose being connected to the winterize port instead of the city water port. I think that could be a big part of the problem.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 AM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You haulers often have 2 FWT's but I have seen just one tank level on the monitor panel. Tanks will equalize so the same amount is in each.
Thanks interesting !!! Raptor has 110 gallon Fresh water, I always wondered about the actual size of the tank, so I guess what we are saying is its actually two smaller tanks versus on large one ??

One of these days will have to really look up into the belly area. took a couple days to recover after taking down the basement wall and looking into there

Yes only one FWT indicator on control panel

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #13
canesfan

Paraptor, let me know what you see when you get under there. I'm not crawling under there and messing with all that to see if I have one or two tanks. It all works at the moment so... besides it sounds like about a six pack job. By then I won't care.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:46 AM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

YA thanks friend, you want me to go first I am still getting over the shock of seeing what was in the basement area six pack come on that is at least a case

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:48 AM   #15
canesfan

Wellllllll, I figured since you were down there running wires to the garage you might as well keep going.

Did you find a subwoofer down there???
Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #16
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thought that "where is the subwoofer was solved" after extensive investigation of the AC air flow, it was determined that when the subwoofer was turned on conditioned air flow significantly increased though out the Raptor. Therefore thought it was concluded that the woofer had too be in one of the ducts?? Still up in the air is the impact when playing different type music, if I recall you may be working on this along with fresh water gravity fill

Still running that cable

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
MattHelm21

Frustrated2016, my understanding is your trailer is exactly the same as my 2016 414 except for the fridge RV vs residential fridge option. I would love to see a picture of the driver side behind your water heater as that is where my gravity fill door is located. That being said, the convenience center shown at the top of the thread is the same as mine as well. With the city water hose connected directly below the city water connection sticker, switch the "tank fill power fresh" switch to "fill" to direct water to the fresh water tank. I know others here do not have the gravity fill option. I'm not sure where the overflow goes with those rigs but watch carefully so as not to apply excessive pressure inside the tank when it fills up. I prefer the gravity feed because I know if I walk away to do something else, the water has a place to go if it overfills. My water pressure is low anyway so gravity fills as fast as the power fill would for me.

As to the fresh 1 one and fresh 2 tanks. Can you double check that. I have black 1 and black 2 and grey 1 and grey 2 but only one fresh tank. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #18
twvette

Guys, it was mentioned at the top of the pic from beginning I was just messing around trying various things when took that pic with the hose connected ... I was connected to the middle city connection during this problem.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #19
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Guys, it was mentioned at the top of the pic from beginning I was just messing around trying various things when took that pic with the hose connected ... I was connected to the middle city connection during this problem.
I read that but it didn't click I guess. So read back through the suggestions before we decided you were connected to the wrong port.

And, Keystone isn't great about labeling things. Lots of posts about gray and black tank valves labeled wrong. The labeling in the docking center leaves a lot to be desired sometimes, as well as the location of the valves in relation to what they do. Yes, the center port is both city water and tank fill. BUT...they still don't tell you where to put the stale water.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #20
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

twvette, I assume you are good now ??

Based on chuckster57's explanation, I see no reason why Keystone would have two gauges for FW given they are self equalizing tanks

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)

Tags
storage, tank, water