Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #1
SkiSmuggs

Living Room Vent pre-wired?

I would like to install a leftover vent fan in my living room vent of my 2012 Cougar High Country. Last fall I removed the fascia to check for wires and didn't find any in the immediate (1" or so) ceiling. Would that vent have been pre-wired for possible fan install? If so, where would it be?
I don't want to tap into ceiling lights as the fan could only run with the lights on and might cause flickering.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Very few, if any ceiling vents are "prewired" for 12 volt fans. The only ones I'm aware of are the ones with existing fans from the factory. Usually that includes the bathroom vent and occasionally the kitchen vent. Other vents are not wired for 12 volts although in most "newer" RV's with 50 amp service, the bedroom vent is pre-wired with 120 VAC for the addition of an air conditioner. Usually, there is a junction box adjacent to the bedroom vent with the wiring run and capped off. That junction box is covered by the ceiling shroud once an A/C is installed.

Many people do tap power from an existing light fixture. The "key" to using the fan/light is to have a fixture with a separate switch on the light itself so you can use the wall switch to control "everything" and the light fixture switch to turn the light off if you only want to operate the fan. It's a "plus" in being able to control the fan with a wall switch if you leave the light switched off for "normal operations"...

But as for 12 volts, you'll probably have to run power either from a "nearby 12 volt light fixture" or find a non-switched 12 VDC wiring run close to the vent and tap off of that. Keep in mind that most (not all) 120VAC wiring will be ROMEX cable and most (not all) 12VDC wiring will be single strand insulated wire.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
SkiSmuggs

Thanks for that information. It sounds like I should try to fish wire from the vent to the control panel where the rocker switches are located. Rather than tap to the ceiling lights, I could tap to the porch light rocker switch input for a permanent hot wire, than use a remote at the fan.